Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat ironic that the strip center is now doing fine when the community is on the uptick. It's also the first place really needs a retrofit. It's a parking crater right next to the most cherished spot of the area. I would love to see more of those small shops placed over that main area of parking. I will make a little concept.

I'm horrible at sarcasm so I can't tell if it is but I will say painting the light poles is just one way of polishing a turd.  :whistling:

I took the outline of the main street in Plaza and put it right ontop of that parking. That's a whole damn block taken up by parking.

I always found parking to be a zero sum game. For every parking spot in a lot is where an artist's studio could of been, an apartment, a park, or something infinitely more useful than car storage. Sorry if it's obvious but it's a hot button topic for me.

There are plenty of thoughts on the highest and best use for that strip mall, but at the moment, I'm sort of happy to see it sit tight and wait out the development-momentum in PM. One - two years from now, once the apartment boom shakes out, we could end up with thoughtful improvements or additions to the land / strip as a result of the current development (and its impact on traffic and demographics). I remember all of the frustration in the past with Hatcher's unwillingness to sell or improve the asset, but now I'm thankful he's held on to it. Otherwise we could be looking at a wave of apartments in its place. That, and I like Bistro and Yama too much to see them go!

I've noticed there are a lot of street trees between fourth and first ward. I think that includes the pink dogwoods. Strange to plant those nice trees in the ugliest part of downtown but it makes a huge difference. Parking lots and ugly buildings are masked.

Had dinner last night at Workman's Friend on Central Avenue for the first time.  All tables were full- standing room only at the bar.  The staff was friendly and fast, and the food was great.  They really had their act together especially considering it has only been open a couple of weeks.  A great addition to the neighborhood.

Plaza Midwood is on the up and up but Noda to me is a bit stronger for a couple reasons. For starters, they have a much larger historic core 'main street'. Plaza Midwood has only one small block (where the Workman's Friend is). The other historic buildings are more scattered and less 'cohesively' placed together. Sprawl related development finally took a toll on the neighborhood. Second is again that damned road. Noda's road is much narrower, has bike lanes, and street side parking. Therefore, it's much safer and pleasant to walk by. Plaza Midwood can thrive, but it will be more difficult than Noda.

I also now actually regret the destruction of Tommy's Pub because it is places like that which give the neighborhood character, even if it's rough around the edges. Iv'e seen Noda's new apartments and it's the same effect. When the developers dominate entire blocks with single use apartments, it doesn't add to the neighborhood. It doesn't 'expand' the main town area where new shops and stalls could form. They don't give a damn about creating public spaces.

It's just a rush job to get as many units as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

A tower crane is being staged on the construction site between Clement and the tracks.

Never thought I'd see one of those in PM.

I was wrong. It looked like sections of a tower crane when it was laying on the ground, but it was just the arm of a big crane. Forgive my lack of technical knowledge, I don't know the names of other types of cranes.

Edited by Niner National

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So per Charlotte Agenda tattoo parlor going in building between Central and 10th...why do we need more tattoo parlors... Is massing of tattoo parlors some sort of urban geographic precursor phenomenon to hyper gentrification(sarcasm emoji)? One would think with the way PM is developing, the tattoo parlors would move/open elsewhere...

So per Charlotte Agenda tattoo parlor going in building between Central and 10th...why do we need more tattoo parlors... Is massing of tattoo parlors some sort of urban geographic precursor phenomenon to hyper gentrification(sarcasm emoji)? One would think with the way PM is developing, the tattoo parlors would move/open elsewhere...

Uh we don't actually have that many in our in-town neighborhoods. What, 1 in PM "proper" currently, 2 in NoDa, 1 in Southend's core, 0 in Elizabeth, 0 in Wesley Heights, 0 in Uptown...why would anyone have an issue with one more opening in a neighborhood like Plaza Midwood? Them all moving out would be a sign of hyper gentrification, not moving in. 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

Uh we don't actually have that many in our in-town neighborhoods. What, 1 in PM "proper" currently, 2 in NoDa, 1 in Southend's core, 0 in Elizabeth, 0 in Wesley Heights, 0 in Uptown...why would anyone have an issue with one more opening in a neighborhood like Plaza Midwood? Them all moving out would be a sign of hyper gentrification, not moving in. 

There is a tattoo parlor beside Twenty Two, there is one beside Novas, there is one beside where John's was.

There is Haylo Lounge at the intersection of Hawthorne and Central (1111 Central building where Green With Envy is).

There is one beside the record store.

I believe there is also one just east of HT, but I could be mistaken on that.

That's a lot of tattoo parlors in one little neighborhood IMO. Even if you just go with PM proper, there are 3 in one block.

There is a tattoo parlor beside Twenty Two, there is one beside Novas, there is one beside where John's was.

There is Haylo Lounge at the intersection of Hawthorne and Central (1111 Central building where Green With Envy is).

There is one beside the record store.

I believe there is also one just east of HT, but I could be mistaken on that.

That's a lot of tattoo parlors in one little neighborhood IMO. Even if you just go with PM proper, there are 3 in one block.

I stand corrected, that is probably plenty. I did forget about the one next to Twenty Two and Lunchbox, and didn't know about Haylo (new?). Anyway, point is I don't see tattoo shops as some kind of negative harbinger for a neighborhood, especially in PM of all places, and in fact would love to see our tattoo scene attract more talent and become more reputable. 

• Like 1

Haylo has probably been around for about 6-8 months. They're in the basement of the 1111 building where Yoga One used to be. They have two tattoo artists, but they also sell retail goods like vintage clothing and handmade jewelry.

They seem to be super-hippie, but they do some cool events there. A person I know is involved in it, so she's always posting about the events they have going on. They do a lot of art/music/hippie health things there. Not really my scene, but a good thing for the neighborhood IMO.

I stand corrected, that is probably plenty. I did forget about the one next to Twenty Two and Lunchbox, and didn't know about Haylo (new?). Anyway, point is I don't see tattoo shops as some kind of negative harbinger for a neighborhood, especially in PM of all places, and in fact would love to see our tattoo scene attract more talent and become more reputable. 

So 6 in Plaza Midwood: the new one opening up across from Central Coffee, Haylo, one next to former John's Country Kitchen, one next to Twenty Two, Flesh Art Tattoo next to Lunchbox Records, and Ace Custom Tattoo behind Zada Jane's on Thomas. That's quite a critical mass.

And, I never said Tattoo parlors are a "negative harbinger." My comment about a precursor to hyper gentrification was a metaphor and joke.  Often times (and as I am sure you know), when creatives move into a neighborhood, that neighborhood becomes a hot spot for gentrification (see the Village in Manhattan or Brooklyn--two macro examples). I just think 6 in a square mile is a bit saturated, and I think some of these shops could serve a purpose that would be much better for walk-ability and the urban environment.  Specifically, the location of the building that will hold the new parlor is a prominent piece of real estate (granted with little parking), but directly across from the new apartments, Central Coffee, and Intermezzo, and would make for great non-tattoo parlor retail.

So 6 in Plaza Midwood: the new one opening up across from Central Coffee, Haylo, one next to former John's Country Kitchen, one next to Twenty Two, Flesh Art Tattoo next to Lunchbox Records, and Ace Custom Tattoo behind Zada Jane's on Thomas. That's quite a critical mass.

And, I never said Tattoo parlors are a "negative harbinger." My comment about a precursor to hyper gentrification was a metaphor and joke.  Often times (and as I am sure you know), when creatives move into a neighborhood, that neighborhood becomes a hot spot for gentrification (see the Village in Manhattan or Brooklyn--two macro examples). I just think 6 in a square mile is a bit saturated, and I think some of these shops could serve a purpose that would be much better for walk-ability and the urban environment.  Specifically, the location of the building that will hold the new parlor is a prominent piece of real estate (granted with little parking), but directly across from the new apartments, Central Coffee, and Intermezzo, and would make for great non-tattoo parlor retail.

Yeah I agree, and sorry if I took your original post wrong. I thought that building was always destined for a small restaurant, bar, or clothing boutique. I would prefer some of the other neighborhoods I mentioned (where hopefully my count isn't so wildly off!) to get a tattoo parlor instead of concentrating all in one area, but in the end I guess I have the same attitude towards tattoo parlors in PM as I do to mexican restaurants in Dilworth: I will welcome a new one as long as its good, and hopefully replaces one that is not-so-good. We have a lot of OK tattoo shops, but none that are widely considered great and have people traveling in from out of town to have work done, which would be nice to have IMO. 

Fence went up between the apartments under construction and Tommy's pub building. Looks like pre work on the mixed use redevelopment that will replace the Tommy's pub building and adjacent lots is imminent? Also, noticed the Shell across the street on Central is now an Exxon, and there is a new, low ground sign, which looks awesome and very urban. Is there a sign ordinance in place on the PM area of Central that forces certain design requirements on new signs?