Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Thirsty Beaver sticks around. Not a place I go to, but don't want a huge block with 0 retail on it that close to the middle of PM. I can live with the Gibson not having retail, but if you combine this plot with the development between the tracks and clement, that is a long stretch with no street presence right in the heart of the neighborhood.

• Like 1

What I have heard is that the owners of Thirsty Beaver are opening a bar at that location but they do not plan to move the beaver.

......In other news, the sale of "the Cramer estate" is the big talk of the neighborhood right now.  The property is understood to be under contract for an exorbitant amount that would suggest a rezoning to higher density to justify.  Tax value of the 16 acre estate has been reported at 3M.

Edited by archiham04

• 3 weeks later...

It seems as though the Common Ground Festival won't be running this year...disappointing

On a better note, Legion Brewing sounds like it is going to be quite the venue:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/September-2015/Legion-Brewing-Adding-Finishing-Touches/

It is my understanding that the Common Ground Festival is being delayed and potentially integrated with some new Legion connected event.

The post office (upstairs portion) is up for lease for $30psf

Listed as "2nd floor retail/office space. Roof/patio opportunity"

http://looplink.natl.cbre.com/xNet/Looplink/Profile/Profile.aspx?stid=cbre7&LID=19418649&LL=true&UOMListing&UOMMoneyCurrency&RentPer=PY&SRID=6227611825

This is a great location for another rooftop bar.

That's pretty cool. If you looked at that building out of context, it has relatively decent urban design- it abuts the street, it's brick, and it's two floors (and now mixed-use!). The only problems are its ugly parking lot area, itstiny upstairs windows, and the fact that the institution of the post office is the most bland thing in existence.

Excellent news all around for Plaza Midwood. The Thirsty Beaver is staying local and moving to a slightly bigger historic building, a perfect example of incremental development (If the posts above are correct). A new domestic brewery, a perfect example of light industry.

Oh, and a little birdy working for CDOT said that they might be trying a big change to the cross signals along Central Avenue. Looks like pedestrians will be given a higher priority... something about all the walk signals simultaneously going green or something. I'll have to ask again.

Edited by mazman34340

Excellent news all around for Plaza Midwood. The Thirsty Beaver is staying local and moving to a slightly bigger historic building, a perfect example of incremental development (If the posts above are correct). A new domestic brewery, a perfect example of light industry.

Oh, and a little birdy working for CDOT said that they might be trying a big change to the cross signals along Central Avenue. Looks like pedestrians will be given a higher priority... something about all the walk signals simultaneously going green or something. I'll have to ask again.

They've already been doing that with the cross walks at Thomas and Pecan for probably a month now.

Here's a little exercise, what sortof hotel would you think would be a great addition to the neighborhood?

Something not too big, three to four stories tall?

Something that at least tries to follow the historic character of the neighborhood, probably with some masonry.

Of course parking could become a problem....

Here's a little exercise, what sortof hotel would you think would be a great addition to the neighborhood?

Something not too big, three to four stories tall?

Something that at least tries to follow the historic character of the neighborhood, probably with some masonry.

Of course parking could become a problem....

Not if it includes a deck that is shared by other buildings in the area :whistling:

Cyclist killed on Parkwood Avenue.

Generous speed limits, wide lanes, no crosswalks, narrow sidewalks.

It was designed by a single minded engineer who wanted cars to go from point A to B who couldn't care less about the community.