Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Here's a little exercise, what sortof hotel would you think would be a great addition to the neighborhood?

Something not too big, three to four stories tall?

Something that at least tries to follow the historic character of the neighborhood, probably with some masonry.

Of course parking could become a problem....Do tell!  Was thinking the other day it was only a matter of time...

Ace? Indigo? Joie De Vivre? 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyclist killed on Parkwood Avenue.

Generous speed limits, wide lanes, no crosswalks, narrow sidewalks.

It was designed by a single minded engineer who wanted cars to go from point A to B who couldn't care less about the community. 

While I agree with what you're saying, Parkwood was designed to be a commuter route to preserve Optimist Park by routing that traffic around it. Prior to that, the main roads were Caldwell along with Davidson (which is why Calwell has a center strip in the middle of the neighborhood.

Looking at the traffic counts, Parkwood south of Hawthorne has similar traffic counts to East Blvd (15-ish thousand). Between Hawthorne and Plaza it's about 20,000. From the Plaza north, The Plaza is in the mid-20,000s. 

Unfortunately road diets are fairly complicated, and its not as simple as looking at traffic counts. One thing to consider is that while traffic counts are similar, most of Parkwood's traffic tends to be processed during rush hour, so it's all coming inbound or going outbound but not at the same time. Traffic on East Blvd is more balanced in each direction. Its essentially the same problem that exists on 7th St, except with 4 lanes instead of 3.

• Like 1

Very true. Based on rush hour experience, I was actually rather surprised to see counts that low, especially north of Plaza/Plaza. 

Since you bring up 7th St, though, I could see a convertible lane option working for the traffic patterns. Maybe a diet could look like this:

• 2 Lanes w/ protected turn lanes from Davidson to Hawthorne (sim to East Blvd). This would include the notorious hill and curve at Davidson.
  • 3 Lanes w/convertible middle lane from Hawthorne to 36th, maybe even Sugar Creek. 
  • 3 Lanes w/convertible middle lane from Davidson to 277, where - god willing - Caldwell will be converted to two-way service. 

That would allow for additional (needed) rush hour capacity but reduce the auto ROW and allow for much improved bike/ped capacity

Edited by tozmervo

The Elizabeth Area Plan already evaluated a road-diet for 7th Street. The problem was the Pecan/Caswell intersection. A compromise was proposed to widen 7th only two blocks between Pecan and Laurel, where it's already 4 lanes.  This would have kept a drop left to Caswell inbound, and ultimately converted everything between Charlottetowne and Pecan to a 3-lane section similar to East Blvd, with dedicated turn lanes at Hawthorne. But alas, Elizabeth leaders didn't want any partial widening, even if it would enable a road-diet across many more blocks.

As for Parkwood, that street used to have reversible lanes years ago. But then it was widened. Ironically, the directional flows still occurring today would likely work well on the narrower reversible lane section that was replaced.

Saw a cyclist this morning on central heading up the hill just before Five Points taking matters into his own hands, and good on him for doing so. He bravely rode squarely in the center of the right lane — not caring a hoot for the drivers behind him pulling out their hair. Message received.

Saw a cyclist this morning on central heading up the hill just before Five Points taking matters into his own hands, and good on him for doing so. He bravely rode squarely in the center of the right lane — not caring a hoot for the drivers behind him pulling out their hair. Message received.

This is what I do.  Especially on a road like Central.  Riding "to the right" is basically a nail in your coffin.  I've been brushed way too many times by a car mirror that I just couldn't care less anymore.  The cars can wait 10 seconds and pass me on the left in the other lane.  They are in an air conditioned box, sitting on their ass, listening to XM radio.  Sorry.

• Like 1

My one very frightening impact with a car while on my bicycle was while I was on a sidewalk on S. Tryon. Car turned left and was not looking at traffic on sidewalk, only oncoming street traffic. He likely never saw me. I struck his right side as he sped through his light and I was catapulted over his car to land on my cranium. He kept going. He HAD to have known of that impact. I am a street rider now.

My one very frightening impact with a car while on my bicycle was while I was on a sidewalk on S. Tryon. Car turned left and was not looking at traffic on sidewalk, only oncoming street traffic. He likely never saw me. I struck his right side as he sped through his light and I was catapulted over his car to land on my cranium. He kept going. He HAD to have known of that impact. I am a street rider now.

Drivers never, ever look for sidewalk traffic, especially if they are turning right and you are on the right side of the road. As a runner, i make it a rule that I don't assume someone saw me until we make eye contact. After too many times of literally having my hand smack a car hood, I just wait now until I make eye contact with the lead car before I cross a street...and whenever possible, I run against traffic even on sidewalks so it is easier to make eye contact with drivers.

• Like 2

I always thought it could be a cool bar/venue or something of the likes.  But that thing has been in TERRIBLE condition for a long time, and saving it was really out of the question.  The thing leans, which is quite concerning.  From what I understand, it is to be demolished next month.  I'm assuming for apartments that will eventually take up that entire strip over the Beaver up to the rail tracks.

Enlighten this non-beer drinker. What is Trappist-style?

To be honest, they are not my favorite style of beer, and I rarely drink them, so I do not really have a concise way to describe theim.  However the style originated in monastaries hundreds of years ago.  I just thought it would be kind of an interesting idea given the "religious" history of the beer, it would be cool to repurpose an abandoned but neat church into a trappist/abbey style brewery.

Here is a wiki article on them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

To be honest, they are not my favorite style of beer, and I rarely drink them, so I do not really have a concise way to describe theim.  However the style originated in monastaries hundreds of years ago.  I just thought it would be kind of an interesting idea given the "religious" history of the beer, it would be cool to repurpose an abandoned but neat church into a trappist/abbey style brewery.

Here is a wiki article on them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer

Thanks for explaining why you thought it would make a good tie-in and thanks for the link. I learned several new things today.

Excellent news all around for Plaza Midwood. The Thirsty Beaver is staying local and moving to a slightly bigger historic building, a perfect example of incremental development (If the posts above are correct). A new domestic brewery, a perfect example of light industry.

Seems the Thirsty Beaver is staying put and they are just opening another bar/restaurant concept across from Lupies.  It'll be another Tex-Mex place called Tipsy Burro.

http://www.charlotteagenda.com/17902/thirsty-beaver-owners-opening-a-new-barrestaurant-concept-on-monroe-road/ 

• Like 1