Retail in Richmond

vdogg

17 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Stony Point is now under the ownership of Midland Loan Services.  I think it’s a great mall, it’s just a victim of the changing retail landscape.   Midland will ultimately sell their holdings, and I hope the next buyer is able to get creative .  

https://www.richmond.com/business/stony-point-fashion-park-has-new-owner-after-malls-previous-owner-defaulted-on-its-loan/article_a5815866-8b87-5bba-bcd2-c5339bdf6ed3.html

Given the popularity of the apartments adjacent to the mall, I could see new residential replace some of the parking, especially around the former Dick's.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Brave bet in this pandemic economy but then it is also just a temporary pop up to gauge interest.

Foot Locker is coming back to Broad Street, albeit farther west towards VCU than it was originally.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/07/08/foot-locker-plots-return-to-the-city-and-to-broad-street/

That may be a good location and timing with DLTR currently burnt out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was burned back in June.   It has been completely gutted (even the roof has been removed).   The Dollar Tree closed on August 12th too.   I’m not sure if their closure had anything go to do with fire/water damage(share a wall with DTLR)  or if Starbucks is coming back.  The construction fence is still up but I haven’t seen any equipment on site. 

• Sad 1

Yeah, pair this up with the Rolls Royce aircraft parts factory in Prince George closing and laying off 300 workers.  We are seeing just what industries and which businesses are able to weather the pandemic.  Luckily for us, real estate and the construction industries are still booming!  Things are slowly opening up and getting back to normal, but we still have quite a way to go.  It's just encouraging to see some positive movement (i.e. real estate market, construction, TMobile recent announcement, flights returning to RIC, etc.)...despite some of the relatively fewer disappointing news out there.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2020 at 2:29 PM, Brent114 said:

It was burned back in June.   It has been completely gutted (even the roof has been removed).   The Dollar Tree closed on August 12th too.   I’m not sure if their closure had anything go to do with fire/water damage(share a wall with DTLR)  or if Starbucks is coming back.  The construction fence is still up but I haven’t seen any equipment on site. 

May 30th.  I imagine it is all waiting on insurance so this may remain for a bit :(

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else troubled by this story? Hopefully Padows -- a real Richmond tradition!!! -- can remain downtown. I'm hoping that as the push for density brings about the kind of developments we've been hoping for, that these kinds of eateries will be commonplace downtown. One thing that you'll see all the time in cities like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia - are walk-in places like a Padows. I remember as a kid going to Angelos Hot Dogs up on 6th street long before Project One brought the 600 Building and the Marriott hotel. When it moved to the basement of Thalheimers, it was good because it was still around and still downtown - but it wasn't the same. I have fond memories of doing to the old place on 6th street -- my father LOVED that place! Having delis and other eateries in office buildings is a hallmark of downtown big city living!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/20/city-hall-orders-padows-deli-out/

• Like 2

I’m not troubled by this particular story at all. 

Padows  has gotta a pass for far too long, IMO.  They are the most expensive option for fast food downtown and the food is actually not that great. They’ve done nothing for the last 30 years to stay fresh and relevant.   The locations are rundown and dated (and not in a charming, old school way).  They still have a location on Main Street.  You would t known it though because they put zero effort into marketing it (not so much as a message board on the sidewalk). 

If I sound harsh it’s because I’m disappointed with these old Richmond institutions.  They all stopped trying years ago which I think is really unfortunate.  I like the idea of having places around town that have been in operation for decades (like Joes Inn, Sally Belles) but it takes work to to keep customers generation after generation. 

As for eateries downtown,  there needs to be more.  There are expensive restaurants but even if you can afford it, they really don’t serve commuters very well.  There is a lack of fast options (pizza by the slice, gyros, smoothies, bagels, hamburgers, tacos). The UR place seemed to fit that bill but they have closed.  Maybe Ukrops can take it over (their food Hall is still under construction on Patterson, a food hall downtown would be nice).  I am getting a Korean chicken place (where Comfort was) soon and I’m pretty excited about that. 
Mudhouse (a Charlottesville coffee shop) and Jamaica House are opening soon in the Arts District on Broad).  I think Common House may have some food options too?  I can’t really figure out how that concept works yet 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I’m not troubled by this particular story at all. 

Padows  has gotta a pass for far too long, IMO.  They are the most expensive option for fast food downtown and the food is actually not that great. They’ve done nothing for the last 30 years to stay fresh and relevant.   The locations are rundown and dated (and not in a charming, old school way).  They still have a location on Main Street.  You would t known it though because they put zero effort into marketing it (not so much as a message board on the sidewalk). 

If I sound harsh it’s because I’m disappointed with these old Richmond institutions.  They all stopped trying years ago which I think is really unfortunate.  I like the idea of having places around town that have been in operation for decades (like Joes Inn, Sally Belles) but it takes work to to keep customers generation after generation. 

As for eateries downtown,  there needs to be more.  There are expensive restaurants but even if you can afford it, they really don’t serve commuters very well.  There is a lack of fast options (pizza by the slice, gyros, smoothies, bagels, hamburgers, tacos). The UR place seemed to fit that bill but they have closed.  Maybe Ukrops can take it over (their food Hall is still under construction on Patterson, a food hall downtown would be nice).  I am getting a Korean chicken place (where Comfort was) soon and I’m pretty excited about that. 
Mudhouse (a Charlottesville coffee shop) and Jamaica House are opening soon in the Arts District on Broad).  I think Common House may have some food options too?  I can’t really figure out how that concept works yet 

Good information, Brent. Thanks! I hear you re: the old Richmond institutions resting on their laurels and not trying. I'm curious to see how development in the coming years in the City Center district will draw eateries there. If a sizable complex rises on the actual City Center site on Grace Street - and if something large-scale goes up at 4th and Broad - plus continued development north of Broad as outlined in the Richmond 300 plan (maybe if we get that big Hyatt Regency near the convention center) - I wonder if the City Center district will draw eateries and other types of street-level walk-ins commonly found in New York, downtown Chicago, Philly, etc.

Trying to make it downtown "City Center" area with a food concept is just tough as an operator. Even those that haven't rested on laurels like Citizen struggled to make it pre-covid. The people density is non-existent compared to the major cities you mentioned. I do wish there were more and better offerings.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Trying to make it downtown "City Center" area with a food concept is just tough as an operator. Even those that haven't rested on laurels like Citizen struggled to make it pre-covid. The people density is non-existent compared to the major cities you mentioned. I do wish there were more and better offerings.

Well said.  If downtown is going to have the type of street level cafes and eateries people on this thread want, the residential population has to increase substantially.  Residents mean customers seven days a week.  The lunch crowd is good, but these places need folks who buy a latte and a pastry, etc. on Saturday morning too.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Spot on, Coupe. Not sure what the actual population of what is "technically" downtown (which for years was defined as everything bounded by I-95, Belvidere Street and the river - so including Jackson and Monroe wards) - but I recall from when I was in undergrad my urban planning professors saying (and this was in the early-mid '80s) that Richmond absolutely NEEDED a downtown population of 30,000 or more to be really viable as a 24-hour place. Given the land area, THAT kind of population density would get the job done. But you're absolutely right - there just isn't the density downtown right now for these kinds of eateries, etc.

• Like 1