Retail in Richmond

vdogg

It is not local, it is from the owner of a boutique up in Georgetown in DC. The city's Dept of Economic Development worked with the owner to set up a Richmond location

Glad to see you here DowntownDave. That's interesting, and thanks for the update. Maybe I can stop by the one up here and get an idea of what we can expect?

While looking at all the vacant retail space downtown, I think the city needs to adopt a policy similar to their rampant demolition policy, but the opposite. They should pass an ordinance that says all storefronts, vacant or not, should be maintained, painted and kept free of debris and flora growth. It's at least make the place look better than it does and may even attract new businesses. Those parking lots on Grace should all be filled in with retail, not just first floor retail, we need something that takes up more than one floor. No more surface lots! Retail retail everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

More Shops coming to Short Pump

The developers have filed a request with the county to rezone the property for about 200,000 square feet of retail space. The project also would include about 40,000 square feet of office space and up to 96 town homes that would be built south of a planned extension of Three Chopt Road.

The Planning Commission is sched- uled to hear the request on Nov. 9. If ap- proved by supervisors, construction on The Corner at Short Pump would begin next summer or early fall. It would open in spring 2008.

real estate sources say the list may include Dean & Deluca gourmet food shop, Cosi restaurant and Eastern Mountain Sports.

This was the site that Bon Secours was supposed to build a new hospital at. They mustve sold it to other developers....it is a prime location. Its nice to hear the way they had said pedestrian friendly, but we shall see once renderings are released. With the amount of square footage of office space and retail (if they really want to impress us) they could try and pull off a mixed building.

Tommy where's your grammar at? See all that time in school you were on here, shoulda been paying attenshun.

And hooray, more senseless bullnews...

When my overtime is up, I am so marching to to Pahram Rd to the courthouse and give the Henrico planners a kick in the bizzalls for all their wrecklessness.

Edited by Cadeho

I wouldn't expect a tower with 41 acres to build on for this...

41.06 acres...but whose counting? ;)

Archon Buys Land for Henrico's New Mixed-Use Project

Archon Group subsidiary W2005WRL Realty LLC purchased 41.06 acres at the southwest intersection of West Broad Street and Lauderdale Drive in Henrico County from Bon Secours-Richmond Health System for $15 million, or about $365,319 per acre.

The land is in the Far West End submarket and is currently zoned O-3C for mixed use. It plans to construct a multifaceted project at the location including retail, office and residential units.

Gary L. Hooper, CCIM and L. Birck Turnbulll, CCIM of the Richmond office of Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield handled sale negotiations for the seller. The Archon Group handled the purchase negotiations in-house.

Really? Why? Like Henrico Doctors on Pahram is too far? Think about the other side of Henrico. What's the closest hospital? Much farther away. The closest is Community and VCU is a stretch farther. But I guess those people aren't as rich and therefore deserve to die. Why in the world is so much being fed into this wasteland as if it is its own city? And of all the developments in Henrico, why the focus on Short Pump? When in Richmond's suburbanization has so much emphasis been placed into one area?

Why don't you ask HCA or Bon Secours or some other hospital operator why. My guess is since there is more population in Western Henrico, there's a greater need for more hospital beds.

You should write a book about the Short Pump conspiracy...

Believe me I will. My point is, there is no need for a hospital with one so close already. I'm tired of everyone puckering up for rear ends out there. Don't make excuses for them.

Believe me I will. My point is, there is no need for a hospital with one so close already. I'm tired of everyone puckering up for rear ends out there. Don't make excuses for them.

Well, I hope you all know, its different when you live out here. I understand the situations that are happening on the opposite side of the county, and trust me, if there was anything I could physically do about it to help now, I would. Maybe when Im in college and out of Short Pump, I can enjoy your talks about it more often, but as for now, its my home too.

Edited by TBurban

And of all the developments in Henrico, why the focus on Short Pump? When in Richmond's suburbanization has so much emphasis been placed into one area?

70's Cloverleaf, 80's Regency, 90's Chesterfield Town Center...that's when and where.

Personally, I'd rather see this type of development clustered than scattered around. That said, Short Pump is not the only area of metro Richmond booming, in fact every area from Colonial Heights to Ashland and everywhere in-between is growing like crazy. Just because the paper singles out this development doesn't mean that it is the only one announced this week and the fact that it gets you so worked up is proof that development in SP is news worthy. On another note, it wouldn't make sense to put a Dean and Deluca in eastern Henrico, or even off of Staples Mill Road. High end retail is typically clustered. A Nordstrom shopper can be easily lead into a Dean and Deluca. The same cannot be said for a shopper at the A&N off of Laburnum.

70's Cloverleaf, 80's Regency, 90's Chesterfield Town Center...that's when and where.

Personally, I'd rather see this type of development clustered than scattered around. That said, Short Pump is not the only area of metro Richmond booming, in fact every area from Colonial Heights to Ashland and everywhere in-between is growing like crazy. Just because the paper singles out this development doesn't mean that it is the only one announced this week and the fact that it gets you so worked up is proof that development in SP is news worthy. On another note, it wouldn't make sense to put a Dean and Deluca in eastern Henrico, or even off of Staples Mill Road. High end retail is typically clustered. A Nordstrom shopper can be easily lead into a Dean and Deluca. The same cannot be said for a shopper at the A&N off of Laburnum.

I wasn't around for Cloverleaf, but the hype was nowhere as big for Regency and Chesterfield Towne Center (a place I've never even seen) as it is for Short Pump. And I'm not asking for ritzy, I'm-better-than-you stores, just a less concentration of everything on that end of the city. What? Others aren't worth restaurants and other stores? But's it's ok though. I see everyone here loves and will defend Short Pump forever. But when I see inequality, I'll acknowledge it and won't make excusess for it. But maybe you're right. Anything east of 95 in Henrico is worthless. And still we'll never have a real downtown ever again.