Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Since this area of town is so "up-scale" and they are wanting more development in that area, I think it would be totally cool to land an Ikea across the street from SPTC. Seems to me that all of the elements are there. All we need now is a committment from the company. Heck, they'll be building the furniture in Danville now! That will make store deliveries to Short Pump that much easier! What do you all think? I wish we could realy lobby for something like this!!!

Since this area of town is so "up-scale" and they are wanting more development in that area, I think it would be totally cool to land an Ikea across the street from SPTC. Seems to me that all of the elements are there. All we need now is a committment from the company. Heck, they'll be building the furniture in Danville now! That will make store deliveries to Short Pump that much easier! What do you all think? I wish we could realy lobby for something like this!!!

It won't happen. Their long-range plan includes at least 1, if not 2, more DC/Baltimore stores, though.

I have renderings of The Corner at Short Pump. We really need to somehow compile all these developments into one page. There's beginning to be too much to keep track of. Ill scan them soon. On a side note, Cam, you remember that little white Church you had gotten a picture of? The one a stones throw from Tom Leonards? They now have a sign up that says: Available for a Multi Shopping Center. I expect in its location, we should hear more news about the development.

I have renderings of The Corner at Short Pump. We really need to somehow compile all these developments into one page. There's beginning to be too much to keep track of. Ill scan them soon. On a side note, Cam, you remember that little white Church you had gotten a picture of? The one a stones throw from Tom Leonards? They now have a sign up that says: Available for a Multi Shopping Center. I expect in its location, we should hear more news about the development.

Please keep us updated with any renderings, photos, news that you have TBurban! I look forward to seeing your renderings!

Well, looks like the Bass Pro Shop is a "done deal" for a location off of I-95 in Hanover. This is great news for all of the outdoors enthusiasts in the area. I'm not a big fisherman, but the description of the store still intrigues me! Looks like it will be an anchor store for a large shopping center to include a hotel. Check out the story here:

Bass Pro Shop Comes to Richmond

Thalhimer's 3rd Quarter Richmond Retail Report (pdf)

Overall, the market looks strong. Overall vacancy is at 5.7% and millions of SF of new retail are currently under construction or planned.

Some interesting facts:

Macerich is not resting on its laurels with the soon to be underway Westchester Town Center at Watkins Centre... They are working hard on a redevelopment plan of the mall including re-tenanting. Outside of the mall, outparcels will be developed/redeveloped as well. Crosland is still working on plans for a large mixed-use development to replace Cloverleaf Mall as well.

The market has 61,612,000 sf of retail space with overall rent averaging $12.11 psf. The Short Pump area leads in rental rates with an average of $29.97 psf.

I made several visits to Short Pump Town Center and (my favorite) Stony Point Fashion Park. Each has a few attractively boarded-up shops, but certainly no more, proportionately, than in other shopping districts. They both appeared to have a nominal number of shoppers in early morning visits and I'm sure traffic picks up later in the day.

Virginia Beach Town Center was, not surprisingly, pretty empty between 10 and 11am on a Monday. More on my Hampton Roads visit later, but let me report that MacArthur Center was bustling a bit later that same day.

Lines were the norm on two week-night visits to Brio Tuscan Grill and P. F. Changs at Stony Point, and the new Blue Point Fish Club at Short Pump TC was filled on a Saturday.

Regency Square was busy at about noon on a Wednesday. In fact, Lens Crafters shop there was kind enough to repair some glasses I had bought in New York.

I was surprised to notice in a drive-by on US 60 (Midlothian Tpk) that there appeared to be virtually no activity at the future Watkins Centre site, although a large cluster of apartments have risen in the northeast quardrant of 60 and 288.

I think stores that are almost halfway between department, and mall shops would be great downtown. A little square in downtown could have a Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, and an Orvis Sporting Goods. Stores like those would attract residents of the city and from the other areas to come and shop downtown. It'd be easier than having to travel all the way out to Short Pump.

More big box retailing coming to Chesterfield.

Planned Hancock Village at the s/w corner of Winterpock and Hull Street roads will have a 204,000 s/f Wall*Mart and a 103,000 s/f J. C. Penney. It will be Penney's first area store not connected to a mall.

Other tenants in this new strip mall of 540,000 s/f (20% smaller than Stony Point Fashion Park) will be Dick's; Bed, Bath and Beyond; Books-a-Million, and DSW (whatever that is).

Construction begins in the spring with build-out a year later in spring of 2008.

Hancock Village is on US360 about 4 miles west of Rte. 288.

Amelia county is getting closer, folks. :rolleyes:

Isn't the Greater Richmond Zoo nearby?

Edited by burt

Interesting to hear of a free standing JC Penney store. In a related news article, big box dept stores are experiencing a surge in business.

So after losing more than $900 million in 2003, J. C. Penney earned more than $1 billion last year. It plans to open 28 new stores this year, its biggest expansion in two decades and a clear vote of confidence in the future of the department store.

link