Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Any idea what this is about? This is the location of the Ukrop's on Broad at Harrison and Grace...

Hmmmm. Is 500 N. Harrison the address of the troublesome club that VCU has been trying to close? And isn't there a liquor store in that 1200 block of Broad. Uh oh! Maybe it's Ukrop's distaste for booze that is behind it all. :rofl:

There's been a Ukrop's on Broad at Harrison and Grace for a while. It's west of downtown and serves the VCU area. It was originally a Community Pride with a Ukrop's Pharmacy and once they went belly up, Ukrop's took over the location. Happened a few years ago. I wish that store could be enhanced/expanded/upgraded.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

There's been a Ukrop's on Broad at Harrison and Grace for a while. It's west of downtown and serves the VCU area. It was originally a Community Pride with a Ukrop's Pharmacy and once they went belly up, Ukrop's took over the location. Happened a few years ago. I wish that store could be enhanced/expanded/upgraded.

It was something else before Community Pride, but I forget what it was... either a Safeway or Farm Fresh or both!

Hmmmm. The Kroger lot is seldom full.

Correct, but Kroger (the main developer of that shopping center, I believe) was required by the city to have ALL of those spaces in the development as opposed to having more space for retail. So, I understand why Kroger would be upset--The Firestone developer isn't having the same burden placed upon him.

Correct, but Kroger (the main developer of that shopping center, I believe) was required by the city to have ALL of those spaces in the development as opposed to having more space for retail. So, I understand why Kroger would be upset--The Firestone developer isn't having the same burden placed upon him.

I'm surprised the Firestone bldg has been vacant so long. It's a handsome building and I guess the courtyard formed by the "L" at the corner will be utilized for a few parking spaces, don't you Jason?

I bet Starbucks and adjoining shops, tho they have a small lot, infringe somewhat on Kroger's lot.

I just read a snippet on Wikipedia about the late, great Thalhimers having a hand in the initial growth of the Golden Skillet fast food chain. Anyone care to share what they know on this? Sounds pretty wild.

Golden Skillet was a spin off from the Thalhimer Food section in its Broad Street store diowntown and you used to see stand-alone GS stores all over the city until The May Company bought out Thalhimer. Their fried chicken was the best! I thought they went out of busines, but was surprised to see one on US 1 & 301 (Jeff Davis Hwy) while driving to Petersburg in October.

The Golden Skillet I saw in October looked just like the old ones I knew. Steven, is the chain still operating, or was the one I saw an aberration?
There are still Golden Skillet stores around, though they're few and far between. Danville has a remarkably well-preserved location that looks straight out of 1979! The chicken's still great, by the way.

There is also a retaurant in Martinsville, Walsh's Chicken & More, that serves a version of the Golden Skillet formula that is reminicient yet slightly different, as it hasn't been a Golden Skillet in about 15 years, and followiing too close would be grounds for a lawsuit.