Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I like the independence of most of downtown's retailers. Carytown is a great example (VERY FEW chains). I wouldn't be opposed to having some of those retailers downtown though as long as they created stores with an urban feel (they are all predominately suburban retailers). I think they are blockbuster's downtown. I know a MovieGallery just opened on main st near The Market. I still think Circuit City could/should build a flagship urban store downtown since its HQ'd in Richmond and all. Have it multi-level with some type of interactive museum showcasing how electronics have changed the world since they started out as Ward's so many years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Richmond's Porsche Dealership in Midlothian is now selling the Lotus Elise Sports Car.....The dealership will be expanded to accomodate the Lotus vehicles. Without even having a sign up, lotus had already sold 6 cars in 3 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I love driving by there and looking at those. I didn't even know Lotus existed until I saw one in England last year; now they're one of my favorite cars.

Edited by theriverpirate

Yeah, I love driving by there and looking at those.  I didn't even know Lotus existed until I saw one in England last year; now they're on of my favorite cars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Expensive little boogas, tho. Guess the area's high average income is one of the reasons the franchise is located out there on Motor Mile (it's the only one between D.C. and Atlanta). :blink:

Macy's is coming!  Macy's is coming! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, don't stop there, Stephen!!!! Where? Do you mean ALL Hechts? If not, which ones that Virginia would be interested in?

I wish one were going into MacArthur Center downtown Norfolk.

How about Short Pump? I'd be very surprised if it were not on the conversion list. :)

Well, don't stop there, Stephen!!!!  Where?  Do you mean ALL Hechts?  If not, which ones that Virginia would be interested in?

I wish one were going into MacArthur Center downtown Norfolk.

How about Short Pump?  I'd be very surprised if it were not on the conversion list. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All surviving Hecht's are being converted to Macy's. The Hecht's store in Wheaton, MD will close, as well as Macy's stores in Fairfax and several near Baltimore, all of those are overlapping stores with either a newer or more productive Hecht's or Macy's. But the two chains will be combined by fall of next year.

AFAIK, no Richmond stores are closing or will close anythime soon. There is a distinct possibility some other Hecht's stores will close in the future (Marlow Heights, Security Square, Coliseum Mall, River Ridge Mall) but there was no word of that yet. Those stores are just my hunches.

All surviving Hecht's are being converted to Macy's.  The Hecht's store in Wheaton, MD will close, as well as Macy's stores in Fairfax and several near Baltimore, all of those are overlapping stores with either a newer or more productive Hecht's or Macy's.  But the two chains will be combined by fall of next year.

AFAIK, no Richmond stores are closing or will close anythime soon.  There is a distinct possibility some other Hecht's stores will close in the future (Marlow Heights, Security Square, Coliseum Mall, River Ridge Mall) but there was no word of that yet.  Those stores are just my hunches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Richmond may have more than one Macy's!!

Stores with big names are not as sexy when there are too many. :rolleyes:

Steven, Have you heard how Saks in Richmond and Raleigh are doing? I remember a clerk in the Richmond store telling me last Christmas that it would be doing a helluva lot better if it were in Short Pump Center! Also overheard a Raleigh customer saying that the Stoney Point store in Richmond was superior to the one in Raleigh.

Your comments?

Edited by burt

that means chesterfield towne center will have a Macy's...btw steven, at fair oaks mall in Fairfax, there is a very old Hecht's and a fairly new Macy's. The Macy's always seems busier than the Hechts so why would they close the brand new Macy's over the old (unnatractive) Hecht's????

oh by the way I saw this today....

From Richmond.com's annual list of best and worst in Richmond, Ukrop's won the following:

1st place - Best Fried Chicken

1st place - Best place to be seen having lunch

1st place - Best overall customer service

maybe others have seen more of the list. Those are the only 3 I know...

oh by the way I saw this today....

From Richmond.com's annual list of best and worst in Richmond, Ukrop's won the following:

1st place - Best Fried Chicken

1st place - Best place to be seen having lunch

1st place - Best overall customer service

maybe others have seen more of the list. Those are the only 3 I know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't know about the 1st two, but I sure wouldn't argue with "best customer service". :)

So Richmond may have more than one Macy's!!

Stores with big names are not as sexy when there are too many. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, Macy's will be at Regency, Chesterfield, Virginia Center Commons and Short Pump. Not very sexy, I know. :lol:

Steven, Have you heard how Saks in Richmond and Raleigh are doing?
Edited by StevenRocks

wwhy substantially renovate when you have a damn spanking new store already?!???!?!?1 This seems like some corporate merger compromise...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mostly because Hecht's has the better physical location in Fair Oaks (which has done better sales-wise over the years; one of Hecht's strongest stores) and Macy's relatively new store will be perfect either for a Bloomingdale's or a Nordstrom.

true...its just a shame....quesiton?

do you know if the local stores will see renovations along with the name changes? I've always felt like Hecht's was a nice store, but they seem to pack to much stuff into their stores. Good luck if you gotta push a stroller or wheelchair around. It seems the racks are close enough to make one claustorphobic!

I think some renovation will be in order when Macy's takes over. I'm not sure which stores will get it first, but Chesterfield, Virginia Center Commons and Southpark in Colonial Heights will likely get done first. Hard to say what Macy's will do at Regency...there's a lot of square footage spread over three different buildings.

Edited by StevenRocks

I think some renovation will be in order when Macy's takes over. I'm not sure which stores will get it first, but Chesterfield, Virginia Center Commons and Southpark in Colonial Heights will likely get done first.  Hard to say what Macy's will do at Regency...there's a lot of square footage spread over three different buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must love Malls! How do you guys think it will change things with Hecht's changing into Macy's and why are you guys so happy about it. Will the line of clothes change or something or is it the fact that they are turning into "Macy" be it. They don't cary any lines that I can fit anyways with me being almost 6'5" and over 300 lbs. I'm about the size of a NFL lineman. What about the Hecht's in Military Circle Mall?? Does that change to a Macy's even though its in a Ghetto Mall?