Retail in Richmond

vdogg

The site for Cabela's as well as Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain on the busy I-95 corridor near I-295 will pull a lot of tourists off the highways. Richmond may become renowned as a mid-Atlantic sports shoppers' center.

What say you, Steven Rocks?

Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain? That close together? It might work, but that's a lot of similar merchandise in a small area. If they don't end up cannibalizing each other, it's a sportsman's dream.

I read this past Monday's Business section that a restaurant will occupy space next to Toad's Place.

...and if you browse around here, Shak, you'll see that we have reported on it, too.

Now, we are relying on you to keep us abreast of the restaurant that will open at The National. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Gilligans column in today's RTD is so interesting, I thought I'd reprint the whole thing. There's good news about a Denver-based coffee shop opening in suburbia AND in the Monroe Tower Apartment highrise at Belvidere and Franklin. And some not so good news about Waldenbooks at Regency Square.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...sPN=%21business

Edited by burt

Greg Gilligans column in today's RTD is so interesting, I thought I'd reprint the whole thing. There's good news about a Denver-based coffee shop opening in suburbia AND in the Monroe Tower Apartment highrise at Belvidere and Franklin. And some not so good news about Waldenbooks at Regency Square.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...sPN=%21business

Saxby's coffee is hardly anything special- they've been open at Ridge for some time now and serve wholly unremarkable coffee. It's amazing to me that Western Henrico is yet to have a local, independent coffee shop.

Monroe Tower residents would be far better served to walk a few blocks to Morris St, especially when Crossroads takes over the World Cup space.

I think Trader Joe's is coming, though I don't have any proof yet.

I really hope you're right. I'm not terribly optimistic about them coming, but the idea that I could cut the Ukrops cord entirely does make me smile.

I really hope you're right. I'm not terribly optimistic about them coming, but the idea that I could cut the Ukrops cord entirely does make me smile.

Cutting the Ukrop cord... such blasphemy! He did not mean that O U-lords. I'm a Ukrop's baby... if they built one on the sun, I'd go. I wish the whole country knew Ukrop's.

If we get a Trader Joe's... before they come, can someone bet me a million dollars they won't locate in Midlothian and Short Pump first?

Edited by Cadeho

Cutting the Ukrop cord... such blasphemy! He did not mean that O U-lords.

Yes....yes he did.

If we get a Trader Joe's... before they come, can someone bet me a million dollars they won't locate in Midlothian and Short Pump first?

TJ's almost always locates in existing (usually vacated) spaces that don't require tons of renovation. Since most property of that sort is in suburban strip malls...

BGW, what's the typical size of a Trader Joe's... I know they are relatively small. 15k sq feet?

Burt hit it on the head. They're notoriously private about numbers, but most stores are between 10-15k square feet. I think the NYC store is their largest, and it's right at 15k.

• 1 month later...

Greg Gilligan at inRich has posted some new retail options coming to and/or expanding at Short Pump Town Center:

New York & Co. opened a store on the lower level near Macy's.

Aeropostale will bring its latest concept store to the mall this summer.

American Eagle outfitters will expand its store, which should be completed in the fall.

Comments welcome, Steven Rock.

Greg Gilligan at inRich has posted some new retail options coming to and/or expanding at Short Pump Town Center:

New York & Co. opened a store on the lower level near Macy's.

Aeropostale will bring its latest concept store to the mall this summer.

American Eagle outfitters will expand its store, which should be completed in the fall.

Comments welcome, Steven Rock.

With pleasure, burt :shades:

Sounds like Short Pump is taking a suprisingly midscale turn to fill in space. It's a smart short-term move, because teens love the mall and those stores are part and parcel is the under-25 crowd (New York & Comapny trends slightly older), but I'm scared they're going to end up with a glut of these kinds of stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Greg Gilligan told about the upcoming retirement of SAKS FIFTH AVENUE manager Benjamin DeWinter in a recent RTD column.

I found DeWinter's comments encouraging. He said the store at Stony Point Fashion Park had strong sales last year and continues to this year. "We have enjoyed exceptional success since our opening" in September of 2003, said he.

There were some rumblings of discontent early on when the store apparently did not carry up-to-date merchandise expected by wealthy Richmond ladies and matrons, but the situation was soon remedied according to reports I have heard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Michael Paul Williams in the RTD, "Diversity Thrift is almost finished with its seven year transformation from a tiny bargain store to a hub for Richmond's gay community."

The store plans to open its new 47,000 s/f rainbow-hued building on August 2nd at 1407 Sherwood Avenue. The Richmond Gay Community Foundation purchased the building for $900,000 from neighboring Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and is spending about $900,000 in renovations. It will host bingo, meetings, events and community activities for as many as 1000 people.

Diversity Thrift will be 10 times larger than its original site on North Boulevard and three times the size of its recent store on West Cary Street.

But it's not just a thrift shop. A Bingo Hall is expected to be a big money-maker for the group at its new Sherwood Avenue store. The games, held until now at the Jamaica Club in Ashland, have generated $1 million in revenue (most of which goes back into prizes) and bring in $100,000 in profits annually. The new, much larger hall will feature a kitchen, coffee bar and non-smoking area.

It looks like Diversity Thrift definitely will bring diversity to the planned nearby Sports Complex at The Diamond.

Edited by burt

According to Michael Paul Williams in the RTD, "Diversity Thrift is almost finished with its seven year transformation from a tiny bargain store to a hub for Richmond's gay community."

The store plans to open its new 47,000 s/f rainbow-hued building on August 2nd at 1407 Sherwood Avenue. The Richmond Gay Community Foundation purchased the building for $900,000 from neighboring Wyeth Pharmaceuticals and is spending about $900,000 in renovations. It will host bingo, meetings, events and community activities for as many as 1000 people.

Diversity Thrift will be 10 times larger than its original site on North Boulevard and three times the size of its recent store on West Cary Street.

But it's not just a thrift shop. A Bingo Hall is expected to be a big money-maker for the group at its new Sherwood Avenue store. The games, held until now at the Jamaica Club in Ashland, have generated $1 million in revenue (most of which goes back into prizes) and bring in $100,000 in profits annually. The new, much larger hall will feature a kitchen, coffee bar and non-smoking area.

It looks like Diversity Thrift definitely will bring diversity to the planned nearby Sports Complex at The Diamond.

Hmm, drunken sports fans and gay bingo goers mixing. This could be potentially dangerous <_<