Retail in Richmond

vdogg

If anyone has been harboring hopes that Boscov's expansion plans might include downtown, they have been dashed by this story by Gregg Gilligan in today's RTD:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...07-10-0040.html

The article doesnt explicitly say they arent going downtown... and that the company is also open to remodeling locations. If they were to buy downtown it would need to be a 3 story building with a lot across the street for a deck... 3 stories at 200x500 gives you 300000 to work with, which includes loading space on the first floor, along with mechanical and office space on the upper floor. With a ramp directly across to the deck and associated elevators there shouldnt be any issues. It sounds as easy as pie to me. Especially if they were to tie in with a revitalization project along Broad or in the bottom... which both are now easy access from the highways.

The article, as written, doesn't hold out any hope for downtown, IMO. But assuming a downtown site were considered, I nominate the half block fronting the south side of Broad between 4th and 5th. Three levels of retail topped by five or more levels of parking!

The article, as written, doesn't hold out any hope for downtown, IMO. But assuming a downtown site were considered, I nominate the half block fronting the south side of Broad between 4th and 5th. Three levels of retail topped by five or more levels of parking!

Id love to be able to walk 3 blocks to a major retailer. I wouldnt need to park!

Too bad they demolished Thalhimer's.... and took up most of the available space in building large enough for businesses like that... I told you.

...and you'll continue telling us ad infinitum. What do you think of my suggestion about the 4th to 5th Street block?

...and you'll continue telling us ad infinitum. What do you think of my suggestion about the 4th to 5th Street block?

Actually I like it, but they'd never take it. I hate people of power who don't do the right thing.

Actually I like it, but they'd never take it. I hate people of power who don't do the right thing.

There you go again with your most-used and favorite word! :lol:

Sit down, put your head between your hands and think "they WILL do what I know is right". Tomorrow morning you'll read that a huge retail development is announced because of Cam's positive thinking. :)

Just don't get carried away about Echo Harbour. :o

There you go again with your most-used and favorite word! :lol:

Sit down, put your head between your hands and think "they WILL do what I know is right". Tomorrow morning you'll read that a huge retail development is announced because of Cam's positive thinking. :)

Just don't get carried away about Echo Harbour. :o

I want the 4th and 5th St block to go retail too. And since I want that, it wont ever happen. :P

Too bad they demolished Thalhimer's.... and took up most of the available space in building large enough for businesses like that... I told you.
The Thalhimers and Miller & Rhoads buildings were pretty much outmoded for modern retailing. Plus both were vacant for over 15 years. No big-box retailer fresh to a market is going to put up with an old, outmoded building of that size if alternatives exist. The renovation costs alone would be prohibitive.

Maybe.. Burt said Lewistown Rd which is the next exit from Atlee-Elmont. I thought the site would be off the original Sliding Hill Rd near the Home Depot. A lot of stuff is happening north of VCC.