Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I'm pretty sure they are gonna go in there, though it won't be a super-center.

How feasible are the changes you proposed stephen?

Very. Changes like the ones I proposed, once everyone gets on the same page, would take two-to three years tops. Getting every company to move in the same time-frame would be the hardest part, but not impossible.

Sears would be the linchpin in the whole scenario. If they moved, that would set the wheels in motion.

man you should suggest it to taubman or something... it sounds like it could be great for both centers...

I'm sure they have their own ideas on the subject. Taubman usually doesn't run dying properties and before it lets Regency and/or Stony Point slide into oblivion, it'll come up with something as good or better than what I've considered.

Edited by StevenRocks

unless they sell regency :(

Hope you're right... I also hope Stony Point isn't as bad off as you say it may be. It seems to do pretty well when I've been...

Have I missed something in Steve's reports, coupe? I didn't get the feeling that he was saying things were gloomy at SPFP.

Have I missed something in Steve's reports, coupe? I didn't get the feeling that he was saying things were gloomy at SPFP.

Burt's right. Stony Point's not in troble, coupe. I didn't mean to give that impresssion, (though admittedly I threw a lot at the "Neiman's or bust" scenario). I'm speculatng on its future because it could be even stronger than what is is now if they shuffle some things around. Same with Regency.

Fact is, they located both malls in the highest income quadrant in metro Richmond, and they are widely shopped even at that. Short Pump's just stronger right now, and appaers to be in a good position to keep growing into a super-regional destination, while Stony Point/Regency is more regional to community, but just as nice (or IMO) nicer.

Thanks Steve. Which center does the most robust restaurant business? I suspect now that Cheesecake Factory is in place, SPTC is the leader.

It's odd that Richmond's high restaurant sales tax doesn't seem to deter diners from flocking to SPFP.

Edited by burt

Thanks Steve. Which center does the most robust restaurant business? I suspect now that Cheesecake Factory is in place, SPTC is the leader.

It's odd that Richmond's high restaurant sales tax doesn't seem to deter diners from flocking to SPFP.

Short Pump, mostly because of The Cheesecake Factory, like you said.

I think the reason that food does well inside the city despite the tax is because that's where the majority of the better restaurants are located.

btw... stony point has a vacancy rate of under 2%... Short Pump is around 3%...not sure about the other malls in town though.

oh quickly...

Total sales at Chesterfield Towne Center rose 6.7 percent to $183.9 million in 2004 compared with 2003, according to Chesterfield County sales-tax data.

So even with the introduction of both Short Pump and Stony Point, CTC was able to hold its own. Long term makes me nervous though. I know Stephen isn't a fan of CTC but it anchors the Midlothian Corridor. For it to decline and follow Cloverleaf's destiny would be disasterous.

btw... stony point has a vacancy rate of under 2%... Short Pump is around 3%...not sure about the other malls in town though.

oh quickly...

Total sales at Chesterfield Towne Center rose 6.7 percent to $183.9 million in 2004 compared with 2003, according to Chesterfield County sales-tax data.

So even with the introduction of both Short Pump and Stony Point, CTC was able to hold its own. Long term makes me nervous though. I know Stephen isn't a fan of CTC but it anchors the Midlothian Corridor. For it to decline and follow Cloverleaf's destiny would be disasterous.

Shevel's in CTC is closing. It has been there since 1977, but the owner says sales have declined since the two malls and Rt. 288 opened. The owner is also a real estate agent and wants to concentrate on properties in downtown Richmond.

:)

I have kind of mixed feelings about this. I've always repsected the vein of independence in their company....

"Starbucks at Ukrop's

If you can't beat them, then bring them into your store.

Ukrop's Super Markets Inc., which for years promoted its own coffee inside its stores, has signed a deal with giant Starbucks.

Ukrop's will operate coffee shops inside two of its grocery stores. Plans for additional Starbucks shops at other Ukrop's stores are being developed.

A Starbucks shop inside the Ukrop's at the Monticello Marketplace shopping center in Williamsburg is slated to open today.

Next Monday, one will open inside the Ukrop's store on Midlothian Turnpike across from Chesterfield Towne Center."

Ukrop's gives into Starbucks

The store on Midlothian is undergoing a massive renovation. The cafe expansion is complete, which is why I suppose the Starbucks is going in there. There is also a Starbucks right in front of the store... go figure.

oh quickly...

Regency, by my unprofessional estinmate, is probably between 10-15% vacancy, with Virginia Center Commons between 5-10%

Chesterfield Towne Center serves its market well, but it's very boring IMO. Not a lot of distintive stores, and it's rather spead out for no more than is there.

I'm sad to see Shevels go though. It was the one store that I remembered distinctly from the mall. Very old-school. They still carried those snap-brim fedoras with the feather on the side like my grandfathers used to wear. the ironic part is that cheap knock-offs of those hats are all over Target this fall, and cost about the same as they do at Shevels :(

Regency, by my unprofessional estinmate, is probably between 10-15% vacancy, with Virginia Center Commons between 5-10%

Chesterfield Towne Center serves its market well, but it's very boring IMO. Not a lot of distintive stores, and it's rather spead out for no more than is there.

I'm sad to see Shevels go though. It was the one store that I remembered distinctly from the mall. Very old-school. They still carried those snap-brim fedoras with the feather on the side like my grandfathers used to wear. the ironic part is that cheap knock-offs of those hats are all over Target this fall, and cost about the same as they do at Shevels :(

There's another Shevels run by a relative of the man who is closing his shop. But I can't remember where it is.

Looks like Richmond's newest malls got some compliments :)

"Kudos to malls

The top executive of specialty retailer Williams-Sonoma Inc. said he liked the design and retail mix at the Richmond area's two newest malls.

Howard Lester, the chain's chairman and former longtime CEO, said last week during a visit to Virginia Commonwealth University that the developers of Stony Point Fashion Park and Short Pump Town Center did a "very good" job.

He took particular note of Short Pump, where his company operates three of its concepts Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, and Pottery Barn Kids stores. He also confirmed that his company's West Elm contemporary home furnishings concept will open a store there next year........"

TD story

Stony Point Fashion Park and Short Pump Town Center are boith malls worthy of praise. They're fresh, and what they lack in actual inovation they make up for in customer satisfaction. People really like shopping at both of them.

That said, part of the reason Short Pump has so many local tenants is because the mall was getting pretty hard to lease in the recession and several chains were given a shot because there was no natioanl tenant intersted in those spaces. An unfortuate situation turned into an oppurtunity and unique selling point.