Retail in Richmond

vdogg

Urban Outfitters to open at Short Pump early 06

"Urban Outfitters has signed on to put a 9,800-square-foot store in the Short Pump Town Center.

The store would be on the lower level near The Cheesecake Factory and below Saxon Shoes.

The retailer of eclectic fashion merchandise would open in the spring."

Coupe, how do u get access to Gilligan's business column so early on the night preceding publication?

:lol: I have to say, you are really on top of happenings!

I proofread his articles for him...

:rofl: j/k... sometimes, if you click on the business section, then click "more" at the bottom, it will show the articles for the next day, even though they havent been put on the first page yet. :)

I was beginning to wonder if you were his ghost writer!

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

burt.. some updates for you about Stony Point and Short Pump (thought it would be more appropriate here)

Shoppers tend to start their days at the discount, toy and electronics stores in the early morning, then drift to the malls later in the day, said Misty Parsons, director of marketing at Short Pump Town Center. Shoppers were sparse at Short Pump around 10 a.m., but the place was packed by afternoon.

By 2:45 p.m., empty parking spots at Short Pump were disappearing.

"It's crazy," Parsons said "It's a good crazy, though, so we like it."

Stony Point Fashion Park in South Richmond opened at 8 a.m., two hours earlier than usual.

Noelynn Koo, the mall's marketing director, said about 100 people showed up by 7:30 a.m., lured by gift cards the shopping center handed out in conjunction with Dillard's, one of its big tenants.

Later in the morning, shoppers strolled through the sunny, open-air mall. The mood seemed more relaxed than frantic.

Koo echoed Short Pump's Parsons' comments about shoppers migrating to the malls in the afternoons. "We're pleased so far. The stores are pleased."

At Stony Point, Koo said, folks come to shop but also to enjoy the holiday mood, punctuated by ice skating and nightly magic snow shows.

Lee Gentry of Richmond wandered, bags in hand, through the cool morning with her sister and sister-in-law.

"We're shopping for Christmas presents," she said, laughing but unwilling to divulge too much information about what her friends and family might find under the tree.

"We're looking for unusual items," volunteered Donna Smith of Mechanicsville, Gentry's sister.

More presents?

"Presents. And stuff for ourselves. Maybe more for ourselves," she confessed. "I bought something for my husband. He likes to cook." She would say no more.

Sister-in-law Sue Allison came over from Roanoke to shop at Stony Point. She hadn't seen quite as many sale items as she had hoped. But she was impressed with the mall's ambience.

"I wish we had something like this in Roanoke."

TD... read the rest

I'll also add that I drove by Chesterfield Towne Center and the parking lot seemed VERY full...

• 3 weeks later...

And the Beat Goes On

link to the Harrison-Bates Q3 2005 assessment of the Richmond retail market....

"In summary, the Richmond market already has over 40 million square feet of retail which is twice the national average. Are there enough local consumers to sustain the new projects planned for 2006-2007?"

It seems that in many areas of the region, we are reaching the saturation point. I think it's time the suburbs stray away from building straight up retail developments and move towards mixed-use developments.

-------------------------

There were also a couple articles in the paper on sunday discussing the region's malls.... Regency Sq. is taking a big time hit. Chesterfield TC is still doing well, Short Pump TC is blossoming, and Stony Point is ...well, Taubman seems pleased but the numbers are a little un-nerving (also, the manager at Saks said he was very pleased with their results). Little growth in sales overall though at the entire mall it seems. Stephen's idea about the Neiman Marcus/Dick's swap may be a good one. Virginia Center Commons is also 100% leased. Didn't mention Southpark.

I wonder what this means for the planners of the Watkins Centre development..

I'm trying to substantiate it... I was hoping Stephen may have heard something??

You know, I wish I could substantiate a story like that, but I don't have any indication that the rumor is true or false on my end.

I will say this: if Bloomingdale's comes into the market, that will be the location.

But that also begs this question. Where will Macy's go? Short Pump doesn't have much more space for a new anchor. Regency's dropping precipitously, Stony Point would have to shoehorn it in somehow, CTC is a given, VCC is questionable.

Perhaps a Macy's at Regency would help it stabilize? I don't see why VCC wouldn't have a Macy's. The mall has zero (or very near zero) vacancy. I don't think they would simply close that Hecht's location.

I'll try to find out more about the potential of bloomy's...

Macy's definately could help Regency and there's no doubt that they're coming to VCC. In both caes however, I'm not sure what their intentions will be long-term.

If sales keep dropping at Regency, Macy's isn't going to need three stores side by side. The closure of either of their anchor positions in the mall could have a ripple effect through the neighborhood, seeing as there aren't many things that can take its place that aren't already nearby.

I've never been to VCC, but people who've posted here suggest that its catering to a more urban crowd with time. Usualy, when malls start doing that, stores and non-urban customers start running for the gates. Seeing as the VCC Macy's will be a fairly small unit with some demographic concerns against it, it makes me wonder if they're going to want to keep it 5, 10 years down the line.

I don't think you misread the Bloomie's rumor. See what you can find out.