Columbia's Underground

Hybrid0NE

I was going to do a full photo shoot but I hadn't been warned that the Underground was a dark pseudo creepy place. Only one pic of the actual Underground came out well, I got further down the hall and was in progress of taking another but I heard the elevator door closing and hauled azz back towards it (so the photo is just the flash spiraling). :ph34r: If I gather reinforcements, I'll complete a full shoot one day, anyway here it is...

4252b8678deb5.jpg

taken as i stepped out of the elevator

4252b8c736075.jpg

Arcade Mall from the North (Washington Street Entrance), approaching the elevator.

I'd be willing to hangout in the place with some well placed lighting and entertainment options. :D

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very interesting.  What is the purpose of this underground area and why was it built?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back in the 70's it was a rathskeller type of place with bars and restaurants underground called "Down Under Columbia". I think it's time for someone to redevelop it!

Back in the 70's it was a rathskeller type of place with bars and restaurants underground called "Down Under Columbia". I think it's time for someone to redevelop it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It appears like it's been abandoned a lot longer than just two decades. However it was constructed in the 20's or something, so maybe that allowed it to degrade quickly.

looks pretty scary to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but try in the flesh to get full sensation. When I heard the door closing, I got that feeling of impending doom. I'm sure you would've heard on WIS, young male disappears in the Underground of Arcade Mall. Eyewitness: "I heard a scream and took the elevator downstairs to help. When I got there, no one was in sight but I did find a camera on the ground. Maybe he was a tourist, didn't realize what kind of trouble was down here."

Yes, you definately can. Would you be willing to take photos of the entire Underground for all of us chickens? I'd volunteer to myself to assist you, I'd keep the elevator door open as you get snapshots.  :D

P.S. Has anyone gotten beyond 5-10 feet of the elevator? Does that corridor lead to another that would parallel Washington Street? Don't tell me I have to find out for myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is two hallways. I believe one leads to an entrance to Main St and the other to Washington St. You can see from the street there is a door that is locked that appears to be stairs that leads to the underground. I have been down there to explore but you really need a flashlight if you want to look around.

Yes, you definately can. Would you be willing to take photos of the entire Underground for all of us chickens? I'd volunteer to myself to assist you, I'd keep the elevator door open as you get snapshots.  :D

P.S. Has anyone gotten beyond 5-10 feet of the elevator? Does that corridor lead to another that would parallel Washington Street? Don't tell me I have to find out for myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am intruiged. Sure, I can try and get down there and get more shots; my digital camera met an untimely end, but I have a new one on order, so this may be a good maiden voyage. I'll probably just haul arse back to the elevator too, so I shouldn't get everyone's hopes up :silly:

Anyone know who owns the underground? Is it condsidered a basement of the building above, or classified differently?

Great photos HybridONE! I think that the arcade could be a really nice rehab project. I have seen similar historic arcades in Philadelphia and other cities. Maybe with the redevelopment of the Barringer and Palmetto Buildings, a rehab will take place. The arcade is definitely one of Main Street's more interesting places (potential-wise at least).

• 2 months later...

If anyone's willing to go, I'm game. I've got enough photographic equipment to make it happen. I went down there once about 6 months ago and it seems that it was being renovated. It was interesting to see the wallpaper on one of the walls that had naked women on it. Very strange.

I worked for a coupla Columbia magazines back when Downunder was going. It was a pretty cool place. None of the restaurants were very large, but most of them had live music and good food.

I still have some of those magazines and could post some stuff here from them... ads and photos, perhaps. How do you post pix here... with a web host like Photobucket.com... just pasting in the goofyface.jpg

Well, I see it works... will try to get some stuff up soon.

BTW, why are you explorers so creeped out by the elevator closing? Wouldn't you be able to ring it back up by just pushing the button? If you're concerned that it won't come to get you, just take an old jacket or something to toss in the doorway so it won't close.

Hi Goofy, I think it would be cool to have a forum meet and go down there to take pictures. With Main Street being energized, the Barringer Building becoming apartments and the Palmetto Building becoming a hotel I think the time is right to redevelop Down Under Columbia. The Arcade Mall is awesome. I bet someone would be willing to invest in such a project. Maybe we could sell 1000 shares at $500 apiece and get it cleaned up and opened again.

Hi Goofy, I think it would be cool to have a forum meet and go down there to take pictures. With Main Street being energized, the Barringer Building becoming apartments and the Palmetto Building becoming a hotel I think the time is right to redevelop Down Under Columbia. The Arcade Mall is awesome. I bet someone would be willing to invest in such a project. Maybe we could sell 1000 shares at $500 apiece and get it cleaned up and opened again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heey! I'm into it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is on the subject but sort of a rabbit trail, but I gotta say I love the Arcade Mall - there is a little deli/bakery (right there on the left when you walk in) that makes something called a "kahlua cake." (oddly enough there is no kahlua in it like it sounds) I probably sound like a woman for saying this but man that is some wholesome chocolatey goodness. I'm not much of a cake person, but wow - you guys definately have to try it some sometime.

This is on the subject but sort of a rabbit trail, but I gotta say I love the Arcade Mall - there is a little deli/bakery (right there on the left when you walk in) that makes something called a "kahlua cake." (oddly enough there is no kahlua in it like it sounds)  I probably sound like a woman for saying this but man that is some wholesome chocolatey goodness.  I'm not much of a cake person, but wow - you guys definately have to try it some sometime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol hilarious. i love some chocolatey goodness... I'll have to check that out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived