Columbia's Underground

Hybrid0NE

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good! I'm available that day. I would be glad to meet some fellow forum members and see an old building at the same time. waccamatt, can you arrange it with the property manager since you have already made contact? What time are we thinking? Mid morning is great, cause then we miss traffic no matter what part of town we're coming from.

BTW, what is the "warn" thing on the left here by my username and info?

Sounds good! I'm available that day. I would be glad to meet some fellow forum members and see an old building at the same time. waccamatt, can you arrange it with the property manager since you have already made contact? What time are we thinking? Mid morning is great, cause then we miss traffic no matter what part of town we're coming from.

I'm not sure why, but your avatar looks like an old fallout shelter sign!

I am happy to arrange it when it gets a little closer. If possible, could we make it late morning? If ti's too early I will oversleep on my day off. <G>

We each have one... but it only shows up on our own screen. As long as it says 0% (which, I'm sure it does) you are fine. I believe that is a function of this message board software that allows admins to "warn" users that violate board rules... but I don't know how much it is used on here. I would imagine very little. :)

We each have one... but it only shows up on our own screen. As long as it says 0% (which, I'm sure it does) you are fine. I believe that is a function of this message board software that allows admins to "warn" users that violate board rules... but I don't know how much it is used on here. I would imagine very little. :)

Silly me, I thought he was talking about his avatar...duh! :unsure:

Exactly. It also allows us to keep tabs on the history of repeat offenders. We don't use it much, but when we do it should be taken seriously.

To get back to topic... We're gonna be out of town on the 16th, but I hope you guys will still. If you end up rescheduling for another day, I'll plan on coming along... and I have a couple of friends that have expressed interest in tagging along. The group probably shouldn't be too big though, and we should give preference to UP'ers, so we'll just play that by ear if it plays out that way. Otherwise... have fun and take lots of pics!

:thumbsup: Hey you guys,,

I remember visiting the underground back in the mid 70's of course I was between 5 - 8 years old

then.. The bars were of a mix variety, gothic, punk, flower child, rhythm blue, jazz, motorcyclist -country,

Very close and tight knit atmosphere feel with everyone kind of doing their own thing.. The people looked

And seemed strange but nice (I kind of felt out of place but respected..) we all had to walk side by side

And behind one anther as we moved from location to location.. I don't remember staying long, my parents

had us kids downtown at the nickel and dime store,.. And all six of us kids wanted for momma and dad to take us with them to the underground.. We wanted to see the mystery I was the youngest of the six girls..

My sister and I later went down under after it had long closed up.. on a venture in the early 90's. Yelp

we took the elevator.. had no problem, it was a bit creepy but interesting.. (a Nancy Drew adventure)

a few people were down there looking around..also.. pipes were visible everywhere.. shops were boarded up.. sorry no pics were taken.. Have FUN visiting on MLK day! ! can't wait to see yall pics :thumbsup:

I was told that the underground extends from the Jefferson Square BLDG to the Capitol and to the old CCI building. don't know how true it is.. Maybe someone could research??? Again, be safe and have fun!!!

• 4 weeks later...

my friend and i were down there just the other night if anyone is interested in going you can contact me on aol instant messenger at xsxesaywhat... but beside the point we are trying to find where the old subway station entrance is around there we know there was an entrance in there and have explored every waking inch of the place but found 2 things that were quite interesting last night a pipe that is continuing underground also we are in the process of trying to get this piece of wooden flooring up because it sounds pretty hollow under it but if you are interested to come poke around with us maybe discover the subway station get in contact with me it really is a great place.

zach

yes back in the 40's-50's if my info is correct there was a subway station one that went towards elmwood the other to the end of main street then 2 going in both directions towards saluda river but supposedly when the wachovia building was being built they broke into the tunnel and quickly filled it with cement so they didnt have to call the USC archeologists to the site for the fear they wouldnt be aloud to build there and have to move the building

yes back in the 40's-50's if my info is correct there was a subway station one that went towards elmwood the other to the end of main street then 2 going in both directions towards saluda river but supposedly when the wachovia building was being built they broke into the tunnel and quickly filled it with cement so they didnt have to call the USC archeologists to the site for the fear they wouldnt be aloud to build there and have to move the building

My God. Columbia had a subway line Downtown? How on earth am I just finding out about this? This deserves a topic of it's own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived