Columbia's Underground

Hybrid0NE

That's really cool. I've lived here for years and never knew it even existed. I agree the time is right to redevelop it. Problem is getting the initial tenants/merchants to locate there and maintaining enough foot traffic to keep them in business. Is there parking nearby? With all the new apartments/condos going up on Main St...I think its only a matter of time before a few "neighborhood bars" locate there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The parking would have to be on-street or in the Meridian or Washington Street garage. Nighttime parking is no problem at all. Really, the only problem is money. Who has a rich benefactor that can help us redevelop downunder Columbia? Anyone still interested in poking around down there one day?

• 2 weeks later...

The parking would have to be on-street or in the Meridian or Washington Street garage. Nighttime parking is no problem at all. Really, the only problem is money. Who has a rich benefactor that can help us redevelop downunder Columbia? Anyone still interested in poking around down there one day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Matt83USC and I were talking yesterday evening about this topic and we are both game for going down there sometime... If anyone else is interested lets see if we can get an "expedition group" together.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and throw out Saturday the 27th. What do others think? I am going to be hosting some out of town guests this weekend (my best friend and his wife, who are both about to finish law school and looking to move down here) so this weekend is definitely out for me. I'm pretty flexible though, and I can probably make it any other time.

I'll go ahead and throw out Saturday the 27th.  What do others think?  I am going to be hosting some out of town guests this weekend (my best friend and his wife, who are both about to finish law school and looking to move down here) so this weekend is definitely out for me.  I'm pretty flexible though, and I can probably make it any other time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be in New York, but you guys take some good pictures.

• 4 months later...

New member here. Ran across this thread and found it very intriging. Did you guys ever make it down there? I'd like to come too! I'll bring my digital camera!

One thing to find out before this big venture. Is the arcade open during weekends so we can access the basement? Does anyone know?

New member here. Ran across this thread and found it very intriging. Did you guys ever make it down there? I'd like to come too! I'll bring my digital camera!

To my knowledge there was never an excursion. I'm game any weekend except during a Carolina basketball game.

Well let's bring this back to life. I love historic buildings. I actually have a degree in building construction. Can anyone point me in the right direction to read up on the history of this building?

I am very surprised that free entry is given into the basement area where it is obviously unsecure and unsafe, being dark and not monitored. Is it really just unlocked like that? Do we need to make arrangements? What is the physical address of the building so I may check it with a drive by next time I head downtown.

Well let's bring this back to life. I love historic buildings. I actually have a degree in building construction. Can anyone point me in the right direction to read up on the history of this building?

I am very surprised that free entry is given into the basement area where it is obviously unsecure and unsafe, being dark and not monitored. Is it really just unlocked like that? Do we need to make arrangements? What is the physical address of the building so I may check it with a drive by next time I head downtown.

Shahram, I'm not sure of the exact address, but it is on Main Street between Washington and Lady between the Barringer and Meridian Buildings. The last time I was in there was on a weekday and the elevator would not go down to the basement. I believe Emerging Me or one of the other posters found a way down there, though. I think it would be fun.

Nah, we're a private firm and don't take that holiday. But if the mission were around lunchtime I could slip over there for a little while.

Probably long enough to get into trouble! Y'all sure we wouldn't be hauled off for tresspassing??? ;)

Nah, we're a private firm and don't take that holiday. But if the mission were around lunchtime I could slip over there for a little while.

Probably long enough to get into trouble! Y'all sure we wouldn't be hauled off for tresspassing??? ;)

Let's be daring. It's not like we're a bunch of kids getting into trouble down there; this is in the interest of urban renewal, right? :whistling:

I don't want to be down there if it is not allowed, which I would imagine it would be. Back in my college days, I was able to gain access to a couple historic buildings that were locked up for a research paper. I'm sure they might allow it for a website, if it were sanctioned by the moderators, but then I doubt they would want to get involved. We might just have to go down there, but then a large group is not proper. If we arrange it as a local area meet, then the owner may allow us entry as a group. Who knows? Maybe they'll turn on the lights for us!

Just wanted to add as an aside that it's nice to meet all of you. I moved here about a year ago and miss my home city of Orlando. I like it here, but wish I had stayed where I was. There are a lot of things to like about the midlands and I am trying to find out more and get more involved and meet new people and basically get my life re-established here with my family after a horrific first year. I am glad to have run across this site. I found it by searching for "sc blue laws". I look forward to speaking with you all more in the coming months.

:alc:

I don't want to be down there if it is not allowed, which I would imagine it would be. Back in my college days, I was able to gain access to a couple historic buildings that were locked up for a research paper. I'm sure they might allow it for a website, if it were sanctioned by the moderators, but then I doubt they would want to get involved. We might just have to go down there, but then a large group is not proper. If we arrange it as a local area meet, then the owner may allow us entry as a group. Who knows? Maybe they'll turn on the lights for us!

Just wanted to add as an aside that it's nice to meet all of you. I moved here about a year ago and miss my home city of Orlando. I like it here, but wish I had stayed where I was. There are a lot of things to like about the midlands and I am trying to find out more and get more involved and meet new people and basically get my life re-established here with my family after a horrific first year. I am glad to have run across this site. I found it by searching for "sc blue laws". I look forward to speaking with you all more in the coming months.

Shahram, welcome to Columbia. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad 2005. Here's to a great 2006! :alc:

Guess what, y'all? I took the elevator down to downunder Columbia at lunch today! It was in much better shape than I expected. I also spoke to the property manager at the Arcade and she said she would take us down there and let us take pictures; we just have to call in advance.

Archived