Welcome to Richmond

vdogg

I've tried advertising UP... however, it doesn't seem to lure people from RCW of RF....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There apparently are a lot of people who read our postings, judging from the number of "hits". Maybe they fail to contribute because they don't like our constant rosy outlook on the Richmond scene. As Eric says, it's easier for expatriots to eschew the city's problems. :)

PS. And maybe many are put off by my constant use of emoticons. :lol::lol: I'm going to "eschew" them for a while, tho they often express exactly what I feel. hahaha. (maybe they're put off by hahaha's too! LOL) (Maybe they're put off too by lol's hahaha :lol: ).

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe they fail to contribute because they don't like our constant rosy outlook on the Richmond scene.

Funny you should mention that cause I've actually gotten the comment that we're just "too damn happy" over here. :) I don't mind though. I think we serve to counterbalance some of the other more pessimistic sites.

I think the biggest thing hurting the Richmond forum is that most of the people that contribute arent actually in Richmond! I'm in Fairfax, burt's in NYC and eric is in freakin Montana. Downtowner is in suburbia.... we gotta get more people that actually see the city. :sigh:

You also have to think of it like this. Richmond already had several boards up and running before this one came in to being, Hampton Roads had none. I think the only reason we grew so quickly is that we were filling a void. There was a lot of pent up demand for discussion of HR issues and absolutely no outlet for it. The good thing about you guys is that you are different, and do have a rosier outlook on what Richmond has to offer. People get tired of hearing constantly negative stuff about their city. I think this, along with a major development and perhaps a well placed plug in a newspaper ( :whistling: ) will make this place explode. I know it's hard too but be patient guys and give it time. You've done a lot of good here and a lot of good for Richmond in general. And believe it or not you guys actually get a ton of hits in this forum. Sometimes you just have to call your guest out and egg them on to post something (i've done this a couple of times :lol: ).

Burt and I have made plugs at other places like RCW.... but we can't get and damn traction! lol.... I tried submitting the forum to WRIC-8's blog listing on their website, but they wouldn't accept it because it has no blog portion... not quite sure how we would get a plug in the paper, though I know Burt and myself have mentioned the site to key reporters....ahhh well .... we try :)

I haven't been around in awhile myself. My home state capital city (Raleigh NC) has a lot going on and I am trying to keep up with that as well. Anyway, just some ideas to find new people:

Yahoo clubs can be quite busy and maybe find a local (Richmond based) one and join. You can then 'advertise' the site if you wish.

Also, the newspaper online may have a community section you can join and there also you may put in a plug for this site. Some local tv station websites may have the same.

You guys do a great job really considering there is only a few of you. Hope you can continue to hang in there as you really do make a great contribution.

Edited by guynvb

I'm surprised there aren't more contributors, but as vdogg points out there have been lots of hits. There apparently are a number of "blogs" (is that what we are?) in the city. RCW is indisputably the King, then there's one by Impact, and another with a correspondent called "snoopy" (who I suspect is someone we know and admire at RCW). Then, of course, there's the state-wide right-leaning Bacon's Rebellion.

I guess readers want more controversial nit-picking about this and that. Maybe they just feel no inclination to rain on our rosy parade. After all, it takes out-of-town expatriates like us three main contributors to remind Richmond how great it is. LOL.

Don't know what will happen to this site when Worldcoupe4 gets a real job and my career revives! Maybe by that time Eric will be a military retiree and he with Downtowner (whose syntax is improving daily) will run the ship. :)

Meanwhile, vdogg and guy, thanks for your kind and encouraging words.

lol Downtowner's syntax... I think the fact that there are now sporadic 'periods' does wonders :lol:

I think you're on to something with the nit-picking....Richmonders complain about absolutely everything. Whinemond or something to that effect. Since we for the most part give high-praise to all the good things here, maybe some Richmonders don't even know how to interact with that??

Over the past week or two I've contributed to RCW a little more and I suddenly feel more depressed. Some Contributors Over There Totally Bum me out....

Scottb has been a really good contributor to RCW. He is about as dedicated to all things Richmond as they come. I disagree with him on some issues but for the most part my feelings are in line with his. His interests in development aren't with the bricks and mortar but with the social and political aspects of urban development. His concerns are valid and RCW has become a more sophisticated site thanks to his contributions. Some of his arguments annoy me and I've had more than my share of fights with him but cities are better places with folks like him doing the dirty work for the rest of us.

lol rus where the heck did that come from?

He brings up some good points sometimes, you're right. I agree with a lot of the things he says sometimes.

The pulling of the race card on like every issue gets old.... so does the CONSTANT cut and paste. That's probably what bugs me the most.

It's good for a city to have watch dogs and whistleblowers like scottb.... but it's also important to have those that are a bit more upbeat.

And boy does he love a fight.......

I try to stick to the new developments section for the most part though sometimes I fall over into his realms. I bet he and hudd are best buds :lol:

Lets try to maintain our cordial and friendly relationship with other sites, shall we gentlemen? :lol: As I've said, both sites bring things to the table that the other doesn't. There is always room for a critical voice and for those who choose to focus their resouces towards that, I have no problem with it. Both sites serve to increase Richmonds profile and together offer an overall view of the city and it's people. I will admit sometimes that the negativity can be quite depressing, but to each his own. :)

lol rus where the heck did that come from?

He brings up some good points sometimes, you're right. I agree with a lot of the things he says sometimes.

The pulling of the race card on like every issue gets old.... so does the CONSTANT cut and paste. That's probably what bugs me the most.

It's good for a city to have watch dogs and whistleblowers like scottb.... but it's also important to have those that are a bit more upbeat.

And boy does he love a fight.......

I try to stick to the new developments section for the most part though sometimes I fall over into his realms. I bet he and hudd are best buds :lol:

Just trying to lighten the mood up here with a joke and maybe you should move that discussion to off topic that way it doesn't matter! :thumbsup: