Welcome to Richmond

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

What ever happened to scottb? Did he realize that the electricity his computer used was hurting the enviroment?

Scottb never contributed here, but he was a constant on Richmond City Watch. He could antagonize in a rascally way, but much of what he said was very pertinent. He is a prominent member of The Green Party and a spokesman and resident of Oregon Hill.

His reasons for resigning from RCW were never clear to me.

I believe JSI keeps in touch with him. In fact, he may lurk here from time to time.

Scottb never contributed here, but he was a constant on Richmond City Watch. He could antagonize in a rascally way, but much of what he said was very pertinent. He is a prominent member of The Green Party and a spokesman and resident of Oregon Hill.

His reasons for resigning from RCW were never clear to me.

I believe JSI keeps in touch with him. In fact, he may lurk here from time to time.

I'm pretty confident scottb is keeping up with everything on the message boards. If you need me to pass on any information I can certainly do that.

I suspect the reason he gave up the local messageboards is the derision and mockery that most of his posts received. I certainly miss his perspectives, with which I often agreed; but even when I disagreed, he offered good counterpoint to the "build 40 story buildings on every empty plot of land" posts.

I remember towards the end he was heckled quite a bit. If I was treated the way he was at that point, I'd probably have peaced out as well. (hint to those who hate my posts :))

Hold on there, fellas. While he made sense in much of his comments, he had no match when it came to tossing around insults and name-calling -- well, maybe one.

But I do miss him. :)

I remember towards the end he was heckled quite a bit. If I was treated the way he was at that point, I'd probably have peaced out as well. (hint to those who hate my posts :) )

I guess I missed those posts when I went on an unintentional RCW break, and forgot my login afterwards :(

I didn't have a problem with him, he made me laugh at times. I couldn't read all those books he posted though.

Hahaha. Some of his posts were pretty long-winded. One of his threads that I miss is his reports from City Council meetings and the Planning Commission.

• 1 year later...

Howdy!

I'm new to the Richmond forum. It is likely that I will be relo-ing to Richmond from Little Rock in the next month or two. I've found a lot of useful info about schools (I have one in preK and another in 2nd grade). This has me focused on the Short Pump area. I've also found the Richmond Regional Planning web site. There seems to be a lot of good info there.

Now, I hope I can get some of you to reveal more about Richmond.

Here are a few questions I have...

What areas have houses that were constructed in the twenties? In Little Rock these houses have a lot of charm. These older Victorian homes are in older well established neighborhoods or closer to the CBD and offer an opportunity for remodeling.

What areas have houses that were constructed in the 60s (ranch-style)? This is the type of house I live in currently. They are uninteresting architecturally speaking, but they're efficient use of space.

Are there other periods in history, where the housing growth shapes the character of Richmond in a positive way?

I see vinyl-siding on many of the houses that are for sale. While houses in Little Rock have plenty of vinyl siding, there is a ACME brick factory nearby. The use of local materials has produced a City with a high concentration of brick houses. What are the traditional and widely-valued facade building materials in Richmond. I'm fine with vinyl siding as long as it is not considered a negative in the market.

I hope I don't come across as sounding snobby. I'm wanting to understand what may be some cultural differences between our markets. My realtor pointed out that many folks think LR seems odd to some who come from outside the area because none of the houses look the same. We don't have developers here that build 500 house subdivision with four models to chose from. In LR, 10 developers each usually build 3-4 houses in a subdivision. This makes for a lot of diversity in the houses.

Since much of the new growth seems to be west of Richmond, another question I have is where was the farthest westward growth 50 years ago, 30 years ago, and 15 years ago? I'm trying to get a sense of the City's expansion in years per mile. For example, 50 years ago in Little Rock, the City stopped at a street named Mississippi Ave. Over the last 50 years it has expanded ~ 4 miles west.

Feel free to go off on tangents about Richmond if you'd like, I plan to read all of it. Don't forget to point me to a different sub-forum if there is a more appropriate place for these posts.

Sounds like Short Pump is exactly where you should not be looking.

Care to elaborate? The elementary, middle and high schools all seem to be strong. Short Pump>Pocahontas> Godwin.

I was using street view to look at some of the houses in different parts of the city. Seems like the houses that were built in the 60s are in the Westham neighborhood.