Welcome Hampton Roads

vdogg

Who would have thought there would be such intense interest in Hampton Roads that it would need it's own forum. I think it was just me talking to myself for about 3 months before rusthebuss joined :lol: . Then it was just me and rus talking back and forth for 3 months before we got our next member. Now look at this place. If this forum is any indication i think the future for Hampton Roads looks very bright. A lot of people want to know about this area and giving Hampton Roads its own forum should really help to increase our profile on the net.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is crazy. At our height today we had 14 users in the Hampton Roads forum, 9 in Richmond, and 2 in the general Virginia area (this was at about 11 to 11:30). That gave us 25 in all while the entire board only had 84 browsing. Thats almost 30% of site activity for this portion of time which is way out of all proportion for what you would expect Virginia to be pulling. Now for the bad news. Of all those viewers, only 10 were registered members. I am extending an open invitation to the other 15 of you. Go ahead and sign up! No need to be shy, we value everyones input here :) . There is always room for more people in the conversation so go ahead and sign up and say hi. I promise, once you start typing, you'll never stop! :lol:

Hey Vdogg... about that. I noticed 'burt' browsing the Richmond forum. It said his membership was pending or under review or something. If its the same Burt that used to contribute over on RCW, he would be an awesome asset here. He knows a lot about Richmond.

Hey Vdogg... about that. I noticed 'burt' browsing the Richmond forum. It said his membership was pending or under review or something. If its the same Burt that used to contribute over on RCW, he would be an awesome asset here. He knows a lot about Richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think all memberships are listed as pending or under review for a certain period of time. Not sure though, i'll have to check with admin.

I think all memberships are listed as pending or under review for a certain period of time. Not sure though, i'll have to check with admin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, he's just validating. Systems probably waiting for him to send a reply email. I think you guys still have to do that. I don't really remember because i signed up so long ago :lol: .

What happened to the thread on development in Hampton Roads (for the Peninsula's projects)?  I don't see it anywhere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was on page 2. I've pinned it to the top so people can see it better.

• 1 month later...

I am pretty illiterate about websites and how they work but to have a dedicated website for our area - how might it come about? I am guessing it would cost monthly to run on a server etc. Who could make such a site and what all is involved.. this is probably a lot to ask but I am just curious if this is even feasible. Thanks guys for your help. ;)

I think that would be a great thing for this area other than just the www.hamptonroads.com site. I might try this but I will wait till Verizon Fiber to the premise gets in my area. It will have the speeds that I will need but it will not have static ip address in which i would really need to run a server. Verizon Fios will have speeds such as 5 megs down 2 up, 15 megs down 2 up, and 30 megs down and 5 megs up

I think that would be a great thing for this area other than just the www.hamptonroads.com site. I might try this but I will wait till Verizon Fiber to the premise gets in my area. It will have the speeds that I will need but it will not have static ip address in which i would really need to run a server. Verizon Fios will have speeds such as 5 megs down 2 up, 15 megs  down 2 up, and 30 megs down and 5 megs up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you'll prolly have to go high end (30 down/5 up) to host. These message boards take up a lot of bandwidth.

you'll prolly have to go high end (30 down/5 up) to host. These message boards take up a lot of bandwidth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would really have to get an static ip address because the lease on your ip will change every 7 days. Static IPs are expensive so you would have to have some kind of advertisement to make some revenue!

Archived