Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Eric. Another great story today in RTD about the airport.

I experimented yesterday with cut & paste on another subject, and it worked (tho someone was over my shoulder telling me what to do). However, I'm not having any luck with today's article - nor do I know how to do that "Link" thing. It's just hopeless!

You'll just have to go to the article yourself! -_-

haha burt, we'll do links once you have mastered copy and paste :)...I read the article as well. Very promising!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But, coupe, if he doesn't read the story today, it may be gone tomorrow. Don't you think Eric would like to find this story on the site today? Hint! :)

here ya go burt: :)

Expansion shifts baggage-claim area, rental-car counters

hope eric gets to read it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys for thinking of me here. I've been out of town without the internet for the past 2 days! What a treasure trove of good stuff about the airport! This is some great reading! Thanks again for posting it!

Non stop to Vegas?  Since they will maintain their hub and spoke system, wouldn't Richmond flyers have to travel to Vegas via either Charlotte or Pittsburgh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I finally found the reference BURT! Mathiasen, the airport manager said the following:

"In addition, RIC may benefit from the anticipated merger between USAirways and America West, which would likely reduce fares and open new western markets to Richmond."

"We might realize a benefit by the addition of nonstop flights to Phoenix or Las Vegas, for example," he said.

It's all found in this article from the Henrico Citizen.

More snippets of the article say:

"Another low-far airline

I also just found on smartertravel.com an article that give just as much concrete evidence as one can find right now that JetBlue will more than likely be landing in Richmond within the year. Here's the quote:

"In other JetBlue news, the airline is awaiting the arrival of its new 100-seat Embraer 190 regional jet, which will begin flying in November, according to a USAToday.com report. The new jet is anticipated to give JetBlue the opportunity to expand into new cities including Greensboro and Raleigh, North Carolina, and Richmond, Virginia

Good news all around, Eric!  I bet there would be quite a market here for Vegas flights - especially non-stop.

Surprised that ORF isn't mentioned in the Jet Blue story, aren't you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but Eric Cantor is really good friends with the JetBlue CEO and he also has a bit of political "pull" for Richmond, so I can see where ORF would not be mentioned. Also, Richmond has a very high percentage of passengers that fly out of RIC that fly to New York (not for sure whether the number is bigger than ORF, but it would make a significant difference if it is).

Yes, but Eric Cantor is really good friends with the JetBlue CEO and he also has a bit of political "pull" for Richmond, so I can see where ORF would not be mentioned.  Also, Richmond has a very high percentage of passengers that fly out of RIC that fly to New York (not for sure whether the number is bigger than ORF, but it would make a significant difference if it is).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the Jet Blue CEO is especially fond of Mark Warner. Says he wants to start service in Richmond before his term ends at the State House.

• 3 weeks later...

HERE WE GO! RIC is booming!!!!! Airtran's arrival made a huge impact!

"Ridership reached a record high at Richmond International Airport in July as discount carrier AirTran Airways grabbed an 8 percent market share in its first full month of service.

The airport's total number of passenger arrivals and departures -- 272,899 -- was 22 percent higher than in July of last year, officials said yesterday.

"Our growth is much, much greater than we are seeing nationwide," said airport spokesman Troy Bell, who cited an Air Transport Association report that said U.S. domestic traffic was up 2.5 percent in July."

22% increase in passenger traffic over a year ago and the fifth time this year we've broken the all-time passenger records! :w00t:

Read more about this!

RIC passenger count soared in July

more on the airport...coming soon, more dining options:

"Several new eateries, including Applebee's, Caribou Coffee and Cheeburger Cheeburger, are expected to open shops in the airport terminal under a proposed concessions contract approved by the Capital Region Airport Commission yesterday. The commission also endorsed a contract proposal that will bring new management to the airport's news and gift shops."

Applebee's, Caribou Coffee, cheeseburgers may arrive at airport

boom times :)

All of this is great news meaning Richmond International Airport is growing and a positive business location. I imagine that with the new terminal building being built, there will be more room for restuarants...I can't imagine any more restuarants in the airport now because there just isn't enough room. Believe it or not, I think it would be good if a simple Burger King, or McDonalds would open up in the airport. Sure, it's a little lower class, but there are a variety of people who pass through the airport everyday and would probably appeal to some of the more "common folk" who fly in and out of the airport. I think this would be an indication that it is not so expensive to fly in and out of the airport. With all of the fancy places to eat in the airport now is a clear indication that only the "rich" can afford to fly in and out of Richmond International...I think that Richmond International needs to shy away from this perception.

I flew in and out of Richmond via Delta last week. While both flights were full (Monday 8/29 and Saturday 9/3) they were Comair 50-seaters that eschew the jet gates and deposit/load passengers on the tarmac.

While under heavy construction, you have to look carefully to find car-rental booths and other amenities. Metal framework for the butressing terminal roof is visibile at the north end near the car rental garages.

It should be a beauty when completed in 2007. I hear that several new eating/drinking options have been contracted as well as several new shops.

I don't know if it is a problem at many airports, but while I was awaiting departure, 3 different airlines called several times for late or lost passengers. I suppose these tardy flyers held up departures of American, Delta and Air Trans flights.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Airport Commission is making sure that travellers are using Airtran, and not just using the benefits and flying on other airlines......

and apparently, Richmond's large numbers of business travelers could actually cause more harm than good.....

"Hoffer wonders if the underlying issue is that Richmond is dominated by business travelers who prefer to use frequent-flier miles they hold on traditional carriers, while still benefiting from the lower fares forced by AirTran's competition.

"We've got a free-rider problem in Richmond," Hoffer said. "Everybody benefits from AirTran's presence without having to support the service."

Hoffer also wonders if the Richmond market differs from other smaller markets served by AirTran, such as Newport News; Flint, Mich.; and Canton/Akron, Ohio.

"These are cities that have a pretty sizable high-end blue-collar work force who have discretionary funds to travel but don't travel frequently," Hoffer said. Thus, AirTran does not face the same competitive hurdles it does in a business-heavy market such as Richmond."

Backing Air Tran

I read the above story today but didn't have the heart to post it.  Guess traffic figures for AirTrans are not as hoped so far.  But, they're only been operating at RIC for 2 months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I didn't really like what I read. That kind of news shys other airlines from coming into Richmond...this is not a good sign at all. I just hope we can keep AirTran here. It would be the worst thing EVER if AirTran were to pull out or even experience less than expected attendence on their flights! Richmond needs to get it together!!!! :angry: