eandslee

Richmond International Airport

28 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

I haven't yet, but I have a return flight booked on them in May, from Orlando. 

Okay - great!  When you get back, tell us what you thought and how full the flight was.  Awesome, thanks!

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Okay - great!  When you get back, tell us what you thought and how full the flight was.  Awesome, thanks!

Will do.

• Thanks 1

Anybody see the extensive news story on 60 Minutes (link below) about Allegiant? I've flown on them several times down/back to St. Pete and have had great experiences except one time had to wait a little long to get my baggage in St. Pete. Curious to get people's (especially from @flack4ric) thoughts if they plan to NOT fly them after the news story? Hoping the story lights a fire under their a$$ so the fix their operations. They were created by one of the founders of ValueJet and afraid one major accident and they will be out of business.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

On 4/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, JSI said:

Anybody see the extensive news story on 60 Minutes (link below) about Allegiant? I've flown on them several times down/back to St. Pete and have had great experiences except one time had to wait a little long to get my baggage in St. Pete. Curious to get people's (especially from @flack4ric) thoughts if they plan to NOT fly them after the news story? Hoping the story lights a fire under their a$$ so the fix their operations. They were created by one of the founders of ValueJet and afraid one major accident and they will be out of business.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

I saw the 60 Minutes program and I immediately discredited it.  I've flown Allegiant many times from RIC and I've had no issues whatsoever with the exception of a late departure and a last-minute plane reassignment that caused some seat assignment issues.  Other than that, their operation is really not much different than the other airlines (in fact, they are better in a lot of ways).  I like Allegiant because it doesn't cost much and when I just want to get somewhere, it does the job perfectly.  I'll mention something here that I posted on Facebook the other day after the Southwest fiasco that occurred this week - basically, I said that any airline can be subject to maintenance problems and no airline is immune (just this week, Delta had an issue with a RIC-bound flight that was diverted to Dullus...United, American...they all have maintenance issues that are never broadcast to the public).  Anytime you step onto any aircraft you are taking a risk.  The fact of the matter is that despite all this negative attention toward Allegiant this week, Allegiant has never killed anyone and Southwest just did.  I have no issues flying Allegiant - it is regulated by the FAA just like all the other domestic carriers out there.  I just think this was a case of the muckrakers at 60 minutes coming out with some potentially false information (not sure if other airlines were involved and put them up to it or what).  However, if there really is a problem at Allegiant, the airing of this piece from 60 Minutes will hopefully serve as a wake-up call.  As for me though, I still feel completely safe on Allegiant flights and will continue to fly with them.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

More good news from the airport today!  March 2018 passenger traffic saw 324,714 passengers at Richmond International Airport, which comes out to an almost 9% increase in passenger traffic over March of last year at 298,110 passengers (we haven't seen numbers like that in years)!  The addition of Spirit Airlines' daily flights to MCO and FLL, the addition of flights from other airlines, as well as increased capacity due to larger aircraft from various airlines serving the airport are the likely reasons for the sharp increase in passenger traffic.  I expect the numbers to continue to increase as this summer should usher in even more passenger traffic with the additional United Denver flight (totaling 2 nonstop flights from RIC per day), an additional daily flight on United to Houston, TX, and Allegiant starting twice-weekly nonstop service to Nashville, TN (all starting in June)!  RIC continues to grow!  This is great news for the area, great news for local travelers, and who knows...this could lead to some game-changing routes starting at RIC very soon! ;)

http://www.flyrichmond.com/files/stats/RIC_MAR18_Activity_Report.pdf

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

Is that United flight to Houston still on the RJ-135/145?  I won't fly that route direct because it is a miserable plane to be stuck on for 3 hours -- my legs actually go numb because the seat quality is terrible and super-cramped.  

5 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Is that United flight to Houston still on the RJ-135/145?  I won't fly that route direct because it is a miserable plane to be stuck on for 3 hours -- my legs actually go numb because the seat quality is terrible and super-cramped.  

I think so, but don't hold me to it.  I'll have to do some digging around to find out for sure.  It would be nice if they upgraded the aircraft, but at the very least, there is an increase in frequency (which is still good news).  I'll see what I can find.

49 minutes ago, jbjust said:

The last time I flew that route, it was a 145.

7 hours ago, jbjust said:

After doing mock bookings using United.com, you’ll find that some of the flights to Houston from RIC and vise versa, will be slight upgrades in aircraft - some are the ERJ-145s (which you don’t like), and other flights use the ERJ-175 (a slightly larger aircraft with more seating capacity).  So, looks like there might be some relief from the cramped ERJ-145s on select flights on the horizon. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

Not so much RIC news, but if you haven't heard already, Frontier Airlines will now fly out of Norfolk with nonstop, TWICE WEEKLY service (Thursdays and Sundays) to Denver and Orlando.  This is a second airline from Norfolk that will be offering service to Denver starting this summer.  United will begin nonstop service to Denver from Norfolk (I believe) starting in June.  Frontier will begin service in August.  While RIC only has one airline with direct, nonstop service to Denver (United Airlines), at least they will serve RIC with TWICE DAILY service to and from Denver.  I see a competition war going on between United and Frontier at Norfolk.  Would be nice to have another airline compete with United at RIC (I was hoping that Frontier would start flying from RIC soon), but that won't happen now.  It will have to be another airline if it happens at all.  I still hold out hope that RIC will land nonstop service to Las Vegas soon and it is possible through Spirit Airlines or even Allegiant Airlines (both have bases in Las Vegas).  Looks like the summer airline competition is heating up!

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/article_856e1dc6-52c3-11e8-8a75-b3e15f7c0404.html

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

Southwest needs to hop on that RIC to Denver route. I know Southwest has a fairly large presence in that airport. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cwd221 said:

Southwest needs to hop on that RIC to Denver route. I know Southwest has a fairly large presence in that airport. 

Agreed!!  I would love for that to happen! 

on a side note, I'm still frustrated by the continual competition between Norfolk and Richmond airports.  I'm thinking one has to come out on top as the next premier airport.  Even if that happens, they will both exist it's just that one should clearly be the front runner (my opinion).  Hard to do that when one airport continually "one-ups" the other every time new service starts (they always seem to be neck and neck).  Something has to give at some point.  While RIC is technically still busier than Norfolk, it isn't outpacing Norfolk by much.  Just a dynamic scenario.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the airlines respond to Frontier's move into Virginia.  Will Southwest make a bold move, will Spirit, will Allegiant?  Things are building up!

20 minutes ago, eandslee said:

on a side note, I'm still frustrated by the continual competition between Norfolk and Richmond airports.  I'm thinking one has to come out on top as the next premier airport.  Even if that happens, they will both exist it's just that one should clearly be the front runner (my opinion).  Hard to do that when one airport continually "one-ups" the other every time new service starts (they always seem to be neck and neck).  Something has to give at some point.  While RIC is technically still busier than Norfolk, it isn't outpacing Norfolk by much.  Just a dynamic scenario.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the airlines respond to Frontier's move into Virginia.  Will Southwest make a bold move, will Spirit, will Allegiant?  Things are building up!

I wouldn't worry too much about the competition between the two. While Norfolk has a larger pool of customers to pull from, it is also competing with the Newport News airport, RIC is the only game in the whole RVA metro. Another thing to keep in mind is the Norfolk airport has a capacity limitation that we don't have geographically. It has virtually no room to expand, it's pretty well locked in to its current size by water and the interstate, while our airport is expanding it's terminal (terminal A) and has room geographically to get bigger. So, while it may be close now, the next 10 years or so will probably see Norfolk's constraints start to take a toll on business. 

If I were Hampton Roads, I would put a regional effort into the Newport News Airport, it has the room to grow, but regional cooperation in Hampton Roads is contentious. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Out of the blue, Alaska Airlines comes in and surprises everybody! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drayrichmond said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the competition between the two. While Norfolk has a larger pool of customers to pull from, it is also competing with the Newport News airport, RIC is the only game in the whole RVA metro. Another thing to keep in mind is the Norfolk airport has a capacity limitation that we don't have geographically. It has virtually no room to expand, it's pretty well locked in to its current size by water and the interstate, while our airport is expanding it's terminal (terminal A) and has room geographically to get bigger. So, while it may be close now, the next 10 years or so will probably see Norfolk's constraints start to take a toll on business. 

If I were Hampton Roads, I would put a regional effort into the Newport News Airport, it has the room to grow, but regional cooperation in Hampton Roads is contentious. 

All very good points!  

2 hours ago, cwd221 said:

Out of the blue, Alaska Airlines comes in and surprises everybody! 

I like where you're going with this! :w00t:

On 5/9/2018 at 8:24 AM, drayrichmond said:

The reason this would never happen is because of the HRBT it is always a hassel to get across even without the extra traffic that would come from making the Newport News airport the go to for HR. 

• Like 1

Spirit Airlines just made an announcement that they will be adding Internet service to every flight by next summer.  Average cost to surf the web on the Internet while flying is $6.50 (cost will depend on how long the flight is).  Just thought I'd spread the word.  The airline is very excited about this because now it might be able to tap into the business flyer market, something they had trouble doing before without any on flight amenities.

Discovered this tonight...RIC had a Wow flight tonight.  Charter or new airline?  Perhaps was a diversion due to weather.  If so, I hope they liked their stay and want to permanently originate flights from RIC!

28524386048_4728d6689c_b.jpg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Shakman said:

There was heavy weather all around BWI on Saturday.  

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking it was - just a weather diversion.  

It appears that April 2018 was a record-setting April by over 40K passengers!  The next best April was in 2015.  All of this is very good news for the airport!

As predicted, the news is a little late:

http://www.richmond.com/z-no-digital/richmond-airport-has-record-setting-april-with-more-than-passengers/article_06152a1e-4cd0-594f-997c-95e550c0b089.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just signed up for Chargepoint and was very surprised to see that there is no electric vehicle charging offered at RIC.   This is in stark contrast to IAD and DCA, which both offer multiple charging stations (DCA is free, don’t know about IAD).

21 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Just signed up for Chargepoint and was very surprised to see that there is no electric vehicle charging offered at RIC.   This is in stark contrast to IAD and DCA, which both offer multiple charging stations (DCA is free, don’t know about IAD).

That surprises me too!  Hmmm....  Well, is it a deal-breaker for you?