Richmond International Airport

eandslee

35 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yep, no news in this case, is good news!!

Amen!

30 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Why doesn't SW have a larger presence at RIC?  Is it because of it's proximity to ORF and BWI?  From a network standpoint, I would think that SW would want to funnel some RIC flyers via Hobby, Midway, Love, etc.  

You would think they would. What's their footprint at ORF?

On 11/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, eandslee said:

I had heard that SW’s lack of showing at RIC is due to a SW manager there at the airport who didn’t want to do what it takes to promote SW at RIC.  Not sure how that works, but that’s what I heard. Not sure if the guy is still there. 

@eandslee while you may not have the obligations of a professional journalist to seek confirmation, why would you just toss this out there? I'll offer the observation that most airline station managers are too tied up at the airport (HR responsibilities often top the list) to have much participation in their local communities. If they can support one or two special events during the course of a year, like a holiday parade, housing rehab, or a charitable golf outing, they're performing above their peers.

2 hours ago, flack4ric said:

@eandslee while you may not have the obligations of a professional journalist to seek confirmation, why would you just toss this out there? I'll offer the observation that most airline station managers are too tied up at the airport (HR responsibilities often top the list) to have much participation in their local communities. If they can support one or two special events during the course of a year, like a holiday parade, housing rehab, or a charitable golf outing, they're performing above their peers.

@flack4ric Meant no disrespect by my comment - was just repeating a rumor I heard - okay, probably not the most reliable source.

Since I’m not the authority on this subject, can you help us understand the REAL reason (or other factors) why WN has had a lackluster showing at RIC?  Very surprised that there haven’t been flights added to places like DAL & MDW at the very least.  Right now, COVID is the limiting factor, but what was the reason (or factors) before the pandemic when the airport was breaking passengers-served records and was the busiest the airport had ever been?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, eandslee said:

@flack4ric Meant no disrespect by my comment - was just repeating a rumor I heard - okay, probably not the most reliable source.

Since I’m not the authority on this subject, can you help us understand the REAL reason (or other factors) why WN has had a lackluster showing at RIC?  Very surprised that there haven’t been flights added to places like DAL & MDW at the very least.  Right now, COVID is the limiting factor, but what was the reason (or factors) before the pandemic when the airport was breaking passengers-served records and was the busiest the airport had ever been?

While we appreciate your curiosity, your question about scheduling and service decisions would be better directed to the airline.

4 minutes ago, My2cent said:

Dose anyone knows whats going on with Prime Air looks like not flying to RIC  last couple of days

I think there were a couple flights yesterday from CVG.  The aircraft weren’t painted with the Prime Air livery, but I think that’s what those flights were (looking at yesterday’s schedule).  Amazon leases aircraft to fly many of their routes, so it could have been that.  I’ll keep a lookout though now that you mentioned it. There should be at least 2 flights per day coming in and going out. In fact, last week I saw a few 767s fly in from Fort Worth, TX.  Lots of cargo being moved!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I think there were a couple flights yesterday from CVG.  The aircraft weren’t painted with the Prime Air livery, but I think that’s what those flights were (looking at yesterday’s schedule).  Amazon leases aircraft to fly many of their routes, so it could have been that.  I’ll keep a lookout though now that you mentioned it. There should be at least 2 flights per day coming in and going out. In fact, last week I saw a few 767s fly in from Fort Worth, TX.  Lots of cargo being moved!

I think the one you are referring are DHL,  Sunwing usually operates the one for Amazon Air, but you are right nothing for Fort Worth

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, My2cent said:

I think the one you are referring are DHL,  Sunwing usually operates the one for Amazon Air, but you are right nothing for Fort Worth

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Are you an avgeek too?  I’m a huge advocate for the airport - would be nice to have more of us.  Anyway, feel free to post as much as you’d like.  We are all pretty much pro growth for Richmond...and particularly the airport (at least on this thread).

13 minutes ago, eandslee said:

By the way, welcome to the forum!  Are you an avgeek too?  I’m a huge advocate for the airport - would be nice to have more of us.  Anyway, feel free to post as much as you’d like.  We are all pretty much pro growth for Richmond...and particularly the airport (at least on this thread).

Thank you, i am new to this. Love the airport want it to do well  and i do call my self avgeek :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

JetBlue starts its once daily flights to TPA (Tampa, FL) today!  Looks like they will fly Embraer E190s instead of A320s...smaller plane.  This new route for JetBlue was announced a couple months ago when it also announced daily, nonstop flights to LAS and LAX.  Although there will be a gradual start to the direct flights to LAS and LAX next month (won’t be daily flights...just select days), my hope is that daily flights will begin in earnest in early January.  Here’s hoping we can keep these direct, nonstop flights to the west coast for the long term!

In other news, new jetways are being installed at gates on the expanded Concourse A this week!  Opening day (which hasn’t been announced that I know of) can’t be too far away!!

As long they are  full thats all it matters. Hopefully covid will disappear soon so we can back to flying as before.

• Like 1

I had heard that they were moving or closing (I think)...not sure if that has happened or not.  As far as I know there is no other company on the docket to move in although I'd like to know if there is any interest.  Sorry, that's all I know and even that, I'm sure it's accurate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, My2cent said:

As long they are  full thats all it matters. Hopefully covid will disappear soon so we can back to flying as before.

It would be nice, but don't expect a wave of the wand to magically take Covid away in the near term. Maybe let's actually get the damn thing under control instead of just blowing it off. I've personally lost two very close friends to it . Several others friends were hospitalized and survived - but tbh, their lives have been totally F'd - not to mention the lives of their families. They are absolutely not the same people they were before they caught this damn thing. Total shells of their former selves - and it's clear as day they've been trainwrecked. I for one refuse to just say "oh well". 

BTW My2cent - I'm not barking at you - please don't take it wrong - I'm just being emphatic standing on a point given personal experience knowing people who either did not survive it or did survive it but have been essentially ruined by it.

More on point: my brother works in the corporate travel industry and he keeps saying essentially that, depending on how well we can get things under control, air travel may take a little while to rebound -- or -- it may bounce back more quickly than expected. I pray it all bounces back quickly -- all to the benefit of RIC, of course! :tw_wink:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like tomorrow will be a “big” day for RIC.  3,306 passengers are projected to use the airport.  Probably a holiday bump, but it’s so good to see.  In comparison, RIC was seeing 7K-8K passengers a day before COVID.  We’ve got a ways to go, but this is progress!

Holiday bump

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

It would be nice, but don't expect a wave of the wand to magically take Covid away in the near term. Maybe let's actually get the damn thing under control instead of just blowing it off. I've personally lost two very close friends to it . Several others friends were hospitalized and survived - but tbh, their lives have been totally F'd - not to mention the lives of their families. They are absolutely not the same people they were before they caught this damn thing. Total shells of their former selves - and it's clear as day they've been trainwrecked. I for one refuse to just say "oh well". 

BTW My2cent - I'm not barking at you - please don't take it wrong - I'm just being emphatic standing on a point given personal experience knowing people who either did not survive it or did survive it but have been essentially ruined by it.

More on point: my brother works in the corporate travel industry and he keeps saying essentially that, depending on how well we can get things under control, air travel may take a little while to rebound -- or -- it may bounce back more quickly than expected. I pray it all bounces back quickly -- all to the benefit of RIC, of course! :tw_wink:

Hi Miss RVA, i did not mean any harm lot of people got affected by this my brother had it as well. Iam sorry to hear about your friend passing 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, My2cent said:

Hi Miss RVA, i did not mean any harm lot of people got affected by this my brother had it as well. Iam sorry to hear about your friend passing 

No harm, my friend! (that's why I wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't barking at you) -- I'm so sorry about your brother. How is he doing? Thanks for the kind words. It really hurt losing such good friends - and I feel so much for their families - one of them who passed was the father of five beautiful children all under the age of 12. Youngest was born just a year or so ago. His wife had it but recovered. The other friend I had known for close to 20 years - he was a confidant - and was there for me through a LOT of choppy waters over the years. That one... that one still really hurts.

Anyway - no harm or offense taken at all! And I apologize if I came on a bit too strong.

• Sad 1

On a positive note...I've noticed that Spirit Airlines has resumed its daily flights from RIC to FLL and MCO.  Don't know exactly which day they resumed daily flights, but it had to be within the last week.  I can tell you that most Florida markets have benefited from COVID-19 as the airline industry has shifted from catering to the business traveler to now catering to the leisure traveler (lots of new routes).  I wouldn't be surprised if most major Florida markets are way ahead and probably getting much closer to the traffic they saw before COVID by busing the leisure traveler in by the thousands.  It certainly helps to be a destination city.  Richmond needs to become more of a destination city...it needs to find a niche that attracts the leisure traveler...I say this with or without COVID.  But...good news with the resumption of a couple more routes at RIC!

Still looking forward to the start of new transcontinental direct flights from RIC to LAS and LAX in just a few short weeks (18 & 20 Dec) - this is just so big for RIC - Again, I hope the routes stick and we have them permanently...even hope more are added!  Fingers crossed!

• Like 4