Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Well, August 2021 showed the first decrease in the upward trend in passengers at the airport this year since February.  With only 331,997 passengers served in August compared to 355,268 passengers served in July.  The reason cited was the increase in COVID cases that slowed passenger traffic shortly after August began.  I'm very much disappointed, but it is what it is.  Just wish that there was more of a demand signal for more passenger service at RIC, but it's not showing that for the month of August.  Here's hoping that September is better.  I'm posting my very bad passenger tracker chart again (sorry to those who hate it):

image.png.3f98fc25d4808841085a01111815a732.png

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Well, August 2021 showed the first decrease in the upward trend in passengers at the airport this year since February.  With only 331,997 passengers served in August compared to 355,268 passengers served in July.  The reason cited was the increase in COVID cases that slowed passenger traffic shortly after August began.  I'm very much disappointed, but it is what it is.  Just wish that there was more of a demand signal for more passenger service at RIC, but it's not showing that for the month of August.  Here's hoping that September is better.  I'm posting my very bad passenger tracker chart again (sorry to those who hate it):

image.png.3f98fc25d4808841085a01111815a732.png

Given the upswing in COVID cases nationwide, a bit of a downturn is expected. Without seeing some comparative analysis, I'm not sure if COVID-related downturns in demand/traffic hit RIC any more or less than they do other 1.) similar (non-hub) airports vs focus-city airports vs hub airports. You might have access to that kind of granular data, and perhaps someone smart out there has done some kind of analysis. I know that for us (RIC) demand seems to be EVERYTHING (I've NEVER understood why it at least APPEARS/SEEMS to be such an impactful driver in terms of airline service - where it doesn't necessarily seem to impact other airports as much. Maybe it's just perception. I don't know.

Given what's going on with the delta variant, I'd not be overly optimistic that September numbers will be much different (meaning, a slight downturn a la August). Hopefully not the case, but it's better to be realistic.

6 hours ago, Icetera said:

I did not have the heart to post the numbers after checking earlier today.  Norfolk also dropped but not by as much (July 381k vs Aug 366k).

It seems the tables have turned and ORF is busier than RIC as we come out of the pandemic (I think we’re coming out of the pandemic?).  Before COVID, RIC was busier than ORF.  The pandemic has not been kind to RIC probably due to the lack of business travelers.  ORF has done better because they get a lot of leisure travelers (something RIC gets less of).  If business travel picks up, RIC could come out of this funk…unless RIC starts getting a ton of leisure travelers somehow. Keeping my fingers crossed for something good to happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

It seems the tables have turned and ORF is busier than RIC as we come out of the pandemic (I think we’re coming out of the pandemic?).  Before COVID, RIC was busier than ORF.  The pandemic has not been kind to RIC probably due to the lack of business travelers.  ORF has done better because they get a lot of leisure travelers (something RIC gets less of).  If business travel picks up, RIC could come out of this funk…unless RIC starts getting a ton of leisure travelers somehow. Keeping my fingers crossed for something good to happen. 

That being said, we need to keep in mind we're not quite out of the pandemic just yet. That will change at some point - we're getting there, but there's still a ways to go. My brother is a corporate travel manager for a large law firm in Chicago and he was saying that despite the fact that attorneys have a greater potential need to travel because of court appearances in various states, even they are still in some cases conducting business via Zoom when it's possible/feasible - so business travel even for law firms is still quite a bit off from where it was. Seems like folks are tending to travel more for leisure if for nothing else than the fact that generally they didn't for 18-plus months. The business sector hasn't caught up yet, especially since the delta surge hit. That said, it would make sense the if RIC's passenger volume is largely business-oriented, it would be lagging behind. Hopefully as the pandemic situation eventually improves things will change positively for RIC over the coming six to 12 months.

Edited by I miss RVA

6 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Yes I have heard from my mom and dads workers comp lawyer that a lot of lawyers are doing court cases by zoom which I was like wow I wonder how hard that must be. How would a judge or jury work in that situation? 

i'm not sure how jury trials are handled. Cases where only the judge decides are considerably "easier" if that's possible. Half tongue-in-cheek and half-serious: Does the Constitutional right to "face one's accuser" technically count if a trial is conducted via Zoom? Is a defendant ACTUALLY facing their accuser? Just wondering how that works, not from a "letter of the law" perspective but more from a "spirit of the law" standpoint.

• 1 month later...

Just came here to mention that I'm not seeing any more direct flights on JetBlue from RIC to either LAX or LAS...at least for now.  I've heard that direct flights to LAS will probably never come back, but direct flights to LAX might....(maybe)

I'm really bummed about this, but there just wasn't enough ridership with very little business travel out of RIC.  This pandemic has just stripped RIC of nearly every gain it had in ridership before COVID happened.  Really sad.  

• Sad 3

LAX nonstops are back starting in early May. I have a hard time thinking that RIC won’t get west coast flights again sometime soon. I can’t imagine that RIC’s “shot” at this was a trial run in the middle of a global pandemic which destroyed air travel. 

I think we’ll have a chance with Breeze once their A220s are delivered. I also can’t figure out for the life of me why Frontier doesn’t fly out of RIC…

Edited by benstyree
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, benstyree said:

LAX nonstops are back staying in early May. I have a hard time thinking that RIC won’t get west coast flights again sometime soon. I can’t imagine that RIC’s “shot” at this was a trial run in the middle of a global pandemic which destroyed air travel. 

I think we’ll have a chance with Breeze once their A220s are delivered. 

I agree, Richmond is too hot of a city right now not to have another shot at some point with flights to other west coast cities. Breeze could be a possibility, as well as possibly southwest or United, both of which have flights to Denver. 
speaking of the A220s breeze ordered, they seem to be interested in using them on flights to Europe from midsized airports so I would keep a lookout to see if RIC is on the map when Breeze announces international expansions.

• Like 3

I’m also surprised that Alaska Airlines hasn’t started service to SEA or some other CA destination…even if just weekly service.  I saw on an airline forum where RIC is one of several cities that Alaska Airlines does not serve yet, but has one of the highest PDEW (passengers per day each way) rates to SEA.

I also think that Breeze will offer nonstop flights to the west coast eventually.  At least none of the service on Breeze to and from RIC has not been cut, although the frequency to and from CHS has decreased from 4 times a week to 2 or 3 (which, to me, is understandable).

RIC just needs to get business flyers back. Period.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

Just came here to mention that I'm not seeing any more direct flights on JetBlue from RIC to either LAX or LAS...at least for now.  I've heard that direct flights to LAS will probably never come back, but direct flights to LAX might....(maybe)

I'm really bummed about this, but there just wasn't enough ridership with very little business travel out of RIC.  This pandemic has just stripped RIC of nearly every gain it had in ridership before COVID happened.  Really sad.  

The scheduling is difficult to work with, especially trying to get a return trip.  Sadly, I am flying DCA to LAS next month but that is partially due to friends living up there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like the airport will be getting a new cargo terminal soon.  With cargo levels reaching new heights, this makes sense.  Also moving the current cargo area to a different location makes room for passenger service concourse expansion or a new terminal possible (reference the airport’s master plan).

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/afco-selected-to-develop-aeronautical-facilities-at-richmond-international-airport/

Link to master plan:

https://flyrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ric_alpmap.pdf

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I would love to see this "regional rail connection" but I cannot imagine there is anything in the near future, especially on a spur.

image.thumb.png.62881852bf930d7b8da444f1f2b2bb07.png

Perhaps it was just hope when it was conceived.  I could see it happening if RIC landed a hub.  Gotta plan for every scenario, I guess. 

• Like 2

I'm glad this plan is in place. At least we have something on the books that should be actionable -- and hopefully with changes to how federal and state funding are applied to transportation here now, the money would be in place to make this happen. IF ONLY we had been so forward-thinking in 1978. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Downtowner said:

This is just plain nuts. So are they also considering closing the ATC tower at ORF, too? Of course not!

Then why RIC?

Edited by I miss RVA

Bottom line is that RIC needs to work on becoming a serious airport or else this sort of thing will happen, especially given that the government is looking to cut anything that it can to save money. RIC would have never been considered if it was already a 24 hour airport with flights coming and going even between 0000 midnight and 0500.  We’ll see what happens, but I hope this lights a fire under RIC leadership to get real serious about attracting new service and expansion…and becoming Virginia’s airport!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Bottom line is that RIC needs to work on becoming a serious airport or else this sort of thing will happen, especially given that the government is looking to cut anything that it can to save money. RIC would have never been considered if it was already a 24 hour airport with flights coming and going even between 0000 midnight and 0500.  We’ll see what happens, but I hope this lights a fire under RIC leadership to get real serious about attracting new service and expansion…and becoming Virginia’s airport!!

Okay - I know the pandemic torpedoed a lot of possibilities - but take that out of the equation - what's holding us back otherwise? I'm not getting it. Is it market size? Is it market type? (heavy business market vs tourism market)? Is the RVA 'travel' market less COVID resilient than other markets because of the makeup of the market? (I'm guessing it's some combination of all of these factors...)

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/ric-airport-infrastructure-money

"It's everything from potentially a new fire station, a new ARF vehicle (Aircraft Rescue Firefighting) or specialty vehicles that we use here at the airport, to new jet bridges and working on our Federal Inspection Services facility, which could accommodate future international flights. It needs a rehab, we have one, it just needs a renovation," Bell said. "If we get the renovation done on the Federal Inspection Station and all of a sudden we've got an international route, pop up, that's something that'll be front and center for the public."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/ric-airport-infrastructure-money

It needs a rehab, we have one, it just needs a renovation," Bell said. "If we get the renovation done on the Federal Inspection Station and all of a sudden we've got an international route, pop up, that's something that'll be front and center for the public."

I must admit, I think I understand what he is saying but these are the strangest combination of words and commas I've ever seen. 

It needs a rehab.... but we already have one? but it just needs a reno. What?

The next sentence could be restated as well...

• Like 1