Richmond International Airport

eandslee

51 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Yes - you know I have to come after this with some thoughts:

1.) CRAC has to see the need/not enough demand: this is the crux of my whole argument about what separates other cities (and by extension the airports) from RVA and where RVA lags SO badly behind other up-and-coming metros. Those places that want it bad enough don't mind taking risks to chase down what they want. They don't wait for the need - they go out and create the need. They create the demand. They make it happen. Sure, CLT got a huge break when Piedmont went there in the '70s - but they (the airport folks) had to have done SOMETHING right in order to draw the airline to them. RDU - another forward-thinking airport that's gone out and grabbed demand. And even though now, CLT could be "excused" for having more than enough demand to justify the cost of their next bold move -- building TWO MORE parallel runways -- I seem to recall reading somewhere that this has been in the works for a while, that this was part of the grand plan. And the purpose of building out two more parallels? TO INCREASE CAPACITY AND BRING IN MORE DEMAND.

Just like with cities developing on the heels of expanding public/mass transit a century ago, it works in that order. Build it, they will come. Create the demand, and the demand will come. Not the other way around. 

An airport - or a city - can sit back and wait and see IF things happen. OR - they can go out and MAKE things happen. We've discussed this ad nauseam on here before -- RVA is SO risk averse and SO unwilling to take a shot at something - that they wait and wait and wait for things that other cities are more than happy to go out and grab  for themselves while RVA continues to wait.

What have we done to even get a focus-city designation at RIC? How hard are we pushing not just with the airport, but the boosterism of the city and the metro? How long do we sit back and wait for organic growth to eventually "justify" making a move on something?  And to say it's not really in RIC's (or CRAC's) hands -- that everything is dependent upon the airlines - tell that to other airports and cities that have had little to no trouble thinking outside the box and creating additional demand, drumming up business, getting more and better service, marketing the city, the metro, the region, the airport, going out and chasing down what they want.  We're sitting and waiting. And if it doesn't come, then it means we don't want it badly enough. Because if we did, we'd push - and we'd push - and we'd push - just like other cities have done, and we'd make something happen.

That's the bottom line. We (collectively as a city/region - not those of us individually in our little community here) - we just don't want it. That's the mindset. That's ALWAYS been the mindset. And I know I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know, chapter and verse.

2.) when the airport is ready to act/demand signal:  based on the above points -- and you heard it here first -- I'm 59 and I likely won't see this happen in my lifetime. Neither will you (unless your a good 30 or so years younger than me, and I believe we're somewhat close in age). Maybe our kids/grandkids will. But we won't. Let's be realistic about this, yeah?

"He who hesitates is lost" -- and -- "snooze, you lose" ...  perfect descriptions for RIC and the CRAC over the decades.

I knew this post was coming (ha ha).  All good questions and comments.  I agree with you 100% - for sure, RIC should be proactive, not reactive.  However (and just a disclaimer), I wrote my post with the probable mindset of those running the airport (you know, just to be realistic).  It would be nice if the airport had the money and resources to drop $1B or more into building new runways, new concourses with 50 more gates, an international section of the airport, cargo facilities, etc., but I think they are moving things forward conservatively with the resources they have.  They want to see that their money will be well spent (they want to see a guarantee...especially since, I think, they get some funding from the surrounding counties and want to be good stewards, if I'm not mistaken.  Pretty sure right much of their revenue comes from profits from within e.g. - parking, landing fees, and various other ways.  With that said, I could be completely wrong about how they make money).  Either way, it makes solid business sense to do what they're doing (despite it being frustrating to us).  I don't think they want to risk everything on just a chance that airlines will come "if they build it."  I can see it their way, but I can certainly see it your way as well.  I don't think RDU really started expanding until they got a commitment from American Airlines (or was it Piedmont?)  to build a hub there, so that was their demand signal to move forward with a major expansion.  What kind of demand signal is RIC receiving, if any?  Not 100% sure, but I've heard rumors that a cargo operation wants to move to RIC.  Could this land purchase be part of that?  Can't be sure based on a rumor.  It is interesting though.  This land deal, combined with the facility moves I've seen in the past few years, certainly can be read to suggest something might be afoot.  No one is going to say anything for sure until the deals are done, so we'll just have to continue to speculate and even worse...wait and see.

Edited by eandslee

22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I knew this post was coming (ha ha).  All good questions and comments.  I agree with you 100% - for sure, RIC should be proactive, not reactive.  However (and just a disclaimer), I wrote my post with the probable mindset of those running the airport (you know, just to be realistic).  It would be nice if the airport had the money and resources to drop $1B or more into building new runways, new concourses with 50 more gates, an international section of the airport, cargo facilities, etc., but I think they are moving things forward conservatively with the resources they have.  They want to see that their money will be well spent (they want to see a guarantee...especially since, I think, they get some funding from the surrounding counties and want to be good stewards, if I'm not mistaken.  Pretty sure right much of their revenue comes from profits from within e.g. - parking, landing fees, and various other ways.  With that said, I could be completely wrong about how they make money).  Either way, it makes solid business sense to do what they're doing (despite it being frustrating to us).  I don't think they want to risk everything on just a chance that airlines will come "if they build it."  I can see it their way, but I can certainly see it your way as well.  I don't think RDU really started expanding until they got a commitment from American Airlines (or was it Piedmont?)  to build a hub there, so that was their demand signal to move forward with a major expansion.  What kind of demand signal is RIC receiving, if any?  Not 100% sure, but I've heard rumors that a cargo operation wants to move to RIC.  Could this land purchase be part of that?  Can't be sure based on a rumor.  It is interesting though.  This land deal, combined with the facility moves I've seen in the past few years, certainly can be read to suggest something might be afoot.  No one is going to say anything for sure until the deals are done, so we'll just have to continue to speculate and even worse...wait and see.

Of course you knew it was coming, my friend. You know me well! :tw_wink:

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

We won!  We won!  There will be no shutdown of the RIC control tower between 0000-0500.  The ATC will stay open 24 hours!

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/proposal-dropped-richmond-airport-air-traffic-control-tower-to-stay-operational-24-7/

One crisis averted!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

I dont usually see any news down here about RIC but I have to ask. Are there any major projects going on there? Last I was there was when I had to visit family. I saw cranes and stuff but im not sure if that was for the air port or not.

Not at the moment (no major developments anyway).  The airport just finished an expansion to Concourse A, adding 6 new gates (that was probably the cranes you saw).  However, we are sensing that there is something else afoot in the way of expansion at RIC.  The airport is looking to buy 161 more acres on its east side at the end of Runway 34.  My guess is that there will be a new cargo facility built somewhere on the airport property soon (I just can't confirm its going to be at the 161 acre site).  Cargo at RIC over the past 2 years has skyrocketed and I think that's going to be the next big thing at the airport.  Rumor has it that a major cargo operation is looking to locate at RIC, but again, just a rumor.  There are a few other minor, but important, movements/construction projects going on currently that will clear the way for further major development, but none of those major developments have been announced yet either.  We would just like to see more flight and destination expansion at RIC.  Just hope we see even more as airlines begin making adjustments again to their routes.  We just got a new destination to PBI in just the last 2 weeks (starts in Feb 22).  I don't think that's going to be the end of it though.  More is coming, I'm sure.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

I dont usually see any news down here about RIC but I have to ask. Are there any major projects going on there? Last I was there was when I had to visit family. I saw cranes and stuff but im not sure if that was for the air port or not.

If not finished by now, they have been expanding Concourse A to mirror the formerly larger Concourse B and there has been a lot of work on the back area of the field.  There is certainly plenty in the pipeline.

3 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Not at the moment (no major developments anyway).  The airport just finished an expansion to Concourse A, adding 6 new gates (that was probably the cranes you saw).  However, we are sensing that there is something else afoot in the way of expansion at RIC.  The airport is looking to buy 161 more acres on its east side at the end of Runway 34.  My guess is that there will be a new cargo facility built somewhere on the airport property soon (I just can't confirm its going to be at the 161 acre site).  Cargo at RIC over the past 2 years has skyrocketed and I think that's going to be the next big thing at the airport.  Rumor has it that a major cargo operation is looking to locate at RIC, but again, just a rumor.  There are a few other minor, but important, movements/construction projects going on currently that will clear the way for further major development, but none of those major developments have been announced yet either.  We would just like to see more flight and destination expansion at RIC.  Just hope we see even more as airlines begin making adjustments again to their routes.  We just got a new destination to PBI in just the last 2 weeks (starts in Feb 22).  I don't think that's going to be the end of it though.  More is coming, I'm sure.

Ha!  You got me back!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Not about the airport - but CoStar just announced it's bringing 2,000 jobs from out of state to downtown RVA and building a new 510-foot-tall headquarters tower on the downtown riverfront. The tower will be the tallest building in the Commonwealth (by a whopping two feet - but still!!) In the event you haven't seen the other thread about it, here's a rendering from this morning's press conference.

costarrendering2-scaled (1).jpg

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Not about the airport - but CoStar just announced it's bringing 2,000 jobs from out of state to downtown RVA and building a new 510-foot-tall headquarters tower on the downtown riverfront. The tower will be the tallest building in the Commonwealth (by a whopping two feet - but still!!) In the event you haven't seen the other thread about it, here's a rendering from this morning's press conference.

costarrendering2-scaled (1).jpg

You guys are seeing the dreamy growth every city hopes for! Im now at peace knowing VB will no longer have the tallest tower in the state. I wonder if this will bring upon more building booms?

• Like 1

Just heard a rumor that Breeze Airways will be adding additional flights between RIC and MSY (New Orleans) to 5 times a week starting in February (currently about 3x a week).  I don’t have an official link to an announcement yet, but will keep looking. This actually makes sense since Mardi Gras is in February.   Just know breaking news happens here first, folks!

Also, may see Southwest drop flights to DEN after 3 June next summer for a bit.  Sounds like it could be temporary due to a slow start to getting Boeing 737 Max back up and running.  It is expected to resume once that happens. Timetable unknown. 

Load factors on flights between DEN and RIC on Southwest have been running at about 77.5%.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Hike said:

If you all could stop commenting so I can catch up, that'd be great. Feeling behind and there's so many words for this art major...

It's been nice having all the lively conversations here this week.  I think the Christmas break is allowing us to all be online and chat it up.  I love how lively we all are.  If you haven't been keeping up this week, there are literally hours of reading you'd have to do to catch up!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

It's been nice having all the lively conversations here this week.  I think the Christmas break is allowing us to all be online and chat it up.  I love how lively we all are.  If you haven't been keeping up this week, there are literally hours of reading you'd have to do to catch up!

I know, I look first thing in the morning and then go walk, errands, etc. come back and then it's blown up again.  I'm enjoying reading and learning, haven't jumped in that much but definitely having fun. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Jesus - I know!! :tw_joy:

I took a little longer in the loo than I had originally intended and when I got back to my computer, I found a multi-point rebuttal to a multi-point rebuttal that had taken me an hour to develop and post. OMG - this forum is just blowing up today! :tw_neutral:

Yeah, I think that's the one that put me over the top :). The other thing is, I'm on my phone mostly now and for long discussions, the computer is so much easier and then I delay going back until I'm on the computer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies - I'm a little late on this report.  You didn't hear anything in the news about it because there wasn't much to talk about when the statistics came out for November 2021.  Here are the facts:

November 2021 Stats:

Total Passengers for Nov 2021:  344, 381 - October 2021 saw 348, 862 passengers, so that is a decrease of 4,481 passengers in November compared to October, which trends slightly negative (see chart below).

Total Passengers for 2021 CY so far:  2,865, 664 - Based on this, RIC might reach just above 3M passengers for the CY if December has a good showing (about 1.3 million passengers less than what 2019 saw, but about 1.3M more passengers than RIC saw in 2020).  Obviously, the pandemic is still having a profound negative effect on passenger traffic numbers at RIC...but it's getting better...slowly.

The news doesn't appear to improve drastically in 2022.  I know that Southwest Airlines plans to end its DEN-RIC and TPA-RIC service in the Summer of 2022 due to equipment shortage issues.  Some are saying that the DEN-RIC service should return once equipment numbers increase, but how long will that take?  The one bright spot for passenger service right now is that Breeze Airways is adding one flight per week to West Palm Beach, FL (PBI) to and from RIC (hardly significant news, but shows Breeze Airways' commitment to RIC).  Hopefully, JetBlue will restart its service to LAX in 2022, but that remains to be seen.  Could there be an international route beginning this year?  Not sure yet, but the airport appears to be setting the stage for international service by renovating/rebuilding its international processing area.  It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.  Of course, passenger numbers will be affected by how the pandemic plays out as well.  Pretty sure you can count on another variant to scare travelers away at some point this year (hopefully, I'm wrong).  The other bright spot for the airport...Cargo!  Cargo numbers continue to increase at RIC (although only .51% more cargo in Nov 21 compared to Nov 20, but a 12.18% increase over the entire year).  December cargo numbers should be interesting to see.  Also, the "wild card" is 161 acres that the airport has plans to purchase at the end of Runway 34 on the east side of the airport.  What will become of that land?  is it a "buy and hold" strategy by the airport or is there a plan to expand cargo facilities there?  Hopefully, 2022 delivers the answers to those questions.

As always, below is my notoriously terrible line graph of the airport's passenger numbers for your viewing pleasure:

image.thumb.png.6793bf6739f24b5416e24bb8fd3d144f.png

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, eandslee said:

image.thumb.png.6793bf6739f24b5416e24bb8fd3d144f.png

This graph is freakin' awesome! Love it. Can you post this as a downloadable doc? The x-axis is hurting me (on a deep, personal level ha!) and I'd like to see if I can change it to months... i know excel can be a pain with that! What is "0, 5, 10, etc.." indicating and what is the "0" origin - is it January 2019 or 2018?

Edited by ancientcarpenter

1 hour ago, Urbs42 said:

First of all thanks for these reports, they are great and not something I would normally find. 

An international route would be amazing! Has RIC ever had one before? 

If I recall, the Bahamas (or somewhere in the vacation island region) and -- I think -- for a little while, Toronto (don't quote me on that, though). I think the Bahamas route was seasonal -- and no idea about Toronto.

It's been a while though.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1