Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Yahoo :yahoo: JetBlue has signed a lease through 2009:

JetBlue lease approved at RIC

That first sentence is beautiful:

JetBlue Airways is now a tenant of Richmond International Airport......"It's a significant commitment," said Jon Mathiasen, airport president and chief executive officer. "We're pretty excited."

check out the short story... more in tomorrow's paper....

more detail on JetBlue's impending arrival...

Jet Blue: March 31

also, a nice excerpt:

JetBlue is expected to add to this year's record-breaking growth at Richmond International. November continued that trend, with 257,122 passengers, a 17.6 percent increase over last November. For the year-to-date, the airport has served more than 2.6 million arriving and departing passengers -- a nearly 17 percent gain over the same period in 2004.

Delta had the largest share of the market, with 29.5 percent, followed by US Airways (25.7 percent) and American (11.9 percent).

AirTran held steady with a 9.3 percent share of the local market, just behind United's 10.6 percent share of total passengers.

Higher gas prices, competitive fares lure travelers this holiday

........"It's harder to fly dogs than it used to be," Hewitt said.

That and constant construction might be the only complaints Richmond International Airport hears this year.

Troy Bell, director of marketing and air service development, said the numbers for passengers set records in all but two months this year (April and May), and through November the passenger counts are up 17 percent from this time last year. While December may not top July as the airport's all-time busiest month, Bell said he definitely expects it to be the busiest December ever.

Business at the airport started "bustling" Sunday, he said, and tomorrow and Friday "things will pick up another notch."

"It's pretty busy," he said, "but anybody that's been in the airline business for a while knows it's a part of the holiday."

In the past, Bell said travelers would hop in their cars and drive to another airport because fares from Richmond were so high............

I know a lot of people that are choosing RIC that would have historically driven to Dulles for flights... :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

Hudson News is replacing CA One Services as proprietor of magazine and gift stores at RIC. The Hudson Group is constructing four stores to be stocked with new, gifts and specialty items. CA One still retains the food and beverage concessions. It will offer an Applebee's restaurant and make other changes.

See Chip Jones' story in today's RTD for details.

Eric, Chip did a nice story in today's RTD Business Section about RIC Airport expansion and the progress and prognosis. Check it out.

I saw and read it, but I was hoping for some more photos and more "inside" information. I would love it if the airport put up a web cam!

I saw and read it, but I was hoping for some more photos and more "inside" information. I would love it if the airport put up a web cam!
I've learned that "hard copies" of the TD have lots of pictures with stories, but very few pics online. But I don't know that pictures accompanied Chips story.

Here's the article for others that haven't seen the article:

Terminal under contruction is meant to be the 'front door' of airport's image

quick excerpt from Chip's article:

The airy-looking building -- featuring 28,000 square feet of glass -- seems to fit the vision of airport and business officials eager to improve the image of what some have called the "front door" to the Richmond area.

"We become a first-tier city when we have a two-level facility," said Gregory Wingfield, president of the Greater Richmond Partnership, the regional economic-development group. "As I travel around the world, that's kind of a standard."

The new terminal includes:

* A barrel-shaped roof over the 550-foot-long terminal. The metal decking is expected to be done by Feb. 1. After that, the roof will be covered by 3-inch-thick insulation and enamel-covered light-gauge steel, according to David Jeddrie, construction inspector for URS, the engineering firm overseeing the work.

* The roof has 20 arched trusses that are 118 feet, 9 inches long. The last truss was installed Jan. 7.

* A mosaic of tinted windows with "Richmond" spelled out in the windowpanes on both ends of the building "so no one can mistake where they've landed," Bell said.

* The upper-level roadway, built in mid-2004, will open for traffic in October.

agreed... we're still ecstatic about getting 2 lowcost carriers in under a year!

I'd have to agree that 2005 has been a good year for Richmond International Airport and I believe that it will only get better. JetBlue actually starts flying on March 31st and then there's the whole US Airways/America West Airlines merger that could quite possibly give Richmond it first REAL direct flight to the REAL west (possilby direct flights to Pheonix, AZ and even Las Vegas). I would expect an announcement of such sometime this year or beginning of next as this merger gets all ironed out. Then there's Southwest Airlines...well, it looks like that might be a bit off, but it will depend on Charlotte getting the airline first...then Richmond will land the air carrier for sure. If the reception of JetBlue is good, I would also expect to see them expand service out of Richmond to other locations throughout the country (could there be western destination in our future this year or early next?). I hope the demand for JetBlue in Richmond busts at the seams! This will guarantee massive airport and passenger enplane and deplane growth! I'm interested to see what will happen starting March 31st! Richmond you'd better support this airline like no other! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! BURT, you have to book some flights from NY to Richmond flying JetBlue baby!! :w00t:

JetBlue was smart to start flights to Richmond's number 1 destination (NYC).

I think flights to Boston will also do very well.

Once Jet Blue arrives, Richmond CAN'T forget to support AirTran as well.

As long as Richmond continues its expansion, fights for lower fares, and markets itself and its airlines well, I think the only thing we'll see is growth.

Does Richmond have direct flights to Minneapolis?

Yeah burt! you should do your part to help boost RIC. I expect you to fly to RIC at least twice a month :lol:

As long as Richmond continues its expansion, fights for lower fares, and markets itself and its airlines well, I think the only thing we'll see is growth.

Yeah burt! you should do your part to help boost RIC. I expect you to fly to RIC at least twice a month :lol:

Yes, Richmond does have direct flights to Minneapolis, but the direct flights have just been reduced from like 4 or 5 flights daily to only one flight :( , but it's all because of the financial problems Northwest is going through. Hopefully, they can restore those flights again. Until then, I'll have to flight to Minneapolis then to Detroit and then Richmond...Yuck! Oh well, maybe soon that will get better...I hope so anyway!

I'll buy your school books coupe if you supply me with several jet Blue tickets JFK/RIC/JFK. :lol:

I think when we travel out west next summer we are flying from RIC to minneapolis, then onto Casper WY

I'm surprised Chicago isn't the connection point for both you guys.