Richmond International Airport

eandslee

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

This graph is freakin' awesome! Love it. Can you post this as a downloadable doc? The x-axis is hurting me (on a deep, personal level ha!) and I'd like to see if I can change it to months... i know excel can be a pain with that! What is "0, 5, 10, etc.." indicating and what is the "0" origin - is it January 2019 or 2018?

PM me your email address and I'll send the file - perhaps you can fix it.  I'm not too good with Excel (just enough to do basic things) - this is why my graph is "notoriously terrible," as someone pointed out to me here on this forum once.  The x-axis is the months (supposedly) starting from Jan 2019, but I couldn't figure out how to put the actual months there.  Instead Excel said, "Nope, you're just getting numbers."  So, there you have it.

Edited by eandslee

1 hour ago, Urbs42 said:

First of all thanks for these reports, they are great and not something I would normally find. 

An international route would be amazing! Has RIC ever had one before? 

The short answer is YES.  RIC has seen regular nonstop flights to Toronto and nonstop flights the Bahamas (as I Miss RVA indicated), but there have also been regularly scheduled vacation charters to Mexico (Cancun, if I'm not mistaken).  Those are the international flights I've witness since following the airport (there may have been more).  For some reason, none of them stuck around too long.  Hoping it would be different if attempted again.  It's similar to trying to get an airline to take a chance on direct flights to airports in the West - it's a bit risky, but airlines are doing all kinds of things in this environment to try to find the right route combinations these days.  Would love to see an international route start this year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

The short answer is YES.  RIC has seen regular nonstop flights to Toronto and nonstop flights the Bahamas (as I Miss RVA indicated), but there have also been regularly scheduled vacation charters to Mexico (Cancun, if I'm not mistaken).  Those are the international flights I've witness since following the airport (there may have been more).  For some reason, none of them stuck around too long.  Hoping it would be different if attempted again.  It's similar to trying to get an airline to take a chance on direct flights to airports in the West - it's a bit risky, but airlines are doing all kinds of things in this environment to try to find the right route combinations these days.  Would love to see an international route start this year!

Those are all I can remember -- and I had forgotten about the Cancun route.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

PM me your email address and I'll send the file - perhaps you can fix it.  I'm not too good with Excel (just enough to do basic things) - this is why my graph is "notoriously terrible," as someone pointed out to me here on this forum once.  The x-axis is the months (supposedly) starting from Jan 2019, but I couldn't figure out how to put the actual months there.  Instead Excel said, "Nope, you're just getting numbers."  So, there you have it.

I'm sorry, I think that was me who called it notoriously bad a few months ago. I thought it was made by the RIC IT staff so I was holding it to a very high standard of "How do they expect the CEO to read it like this?!"

Will send PM now.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I'm sorry, I think that was me who called it notoriously bad a few months ago. I thought it was made by the RIC IT staff so I was holding it to a very high standard of "How do they expect the CEO to read it like this?!"

Will send PM now.

No worries!  At least I got some honest feedback!  LOL!  Yeah, this is totally my product and I appreciate any help you can provide to make it work so that the months show up. :thumbsup:

Edit:  Updated line graph thanks to @ancientcarpenter for working out the kinks:

image.thumb.png.cf3af4f8bbe5409e028872c367e4b9ba.png

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://simpleflying.com/breeze-airways-international-flights/amp/
Interesting article from a air travel journal (not sure how reputable it is) that provides so info on potential breeze international destinations. This isn’t final by any means but it shows some good signs. They refer to a software called “route exchange” that uses flight data to find underserved markets for airlines. They don’t show routes to Europe or South America, but they do show the top 10 underserved routes from breeze current cities to Central America and RIC to Montego Bay Jamaica falls within the top 10. While not final by any means, this seems like a good sign of things to come and hopefully we can get the conversation on breeze international routes up and running again.

spacer.png

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on what this morning's announcement of Frontier buying Spirit (assuming it goes through) could mean for RIC?  I've long thought that Frontier could do well here, especially looking west.  This could be an opportunity to re-establish service to Las Vegas which JetBlue cut after a short run.

Edited by benstyree
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, eandslee said:

No worries!  At least I got some honest feedback!  LOL!  Yeah, this is totally my product and I appreciate any help you can provide to make it work so that the months show up. :thumbsup:

Edit:  Updated line graph thanks to @ancientcarpenter for working out the kinks:

image.thumb.png.cf3af4f8bbe5409e028872c367e4b9ba.png

The pandemic effect is still fascinating to me.  I’m glad that we are bouncing back.  Thanks for this. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RVA2LA said:

Potential good news! Looks like JetBlue is booking daily nonstop flights to and from LA starting May 5.

Google Flights link: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s/24qx

There it is!  Good to see these starting up again.  I was told they would start up again for the summer.  Glad I wasn't lied to!  :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for summary.  Air travel is definitely on the rebound.  So far this year I have flown twice in nearly to full planes.  Earlier this week I was at SJC and LAX and saw many people without mask.  Police and TSA said nothing.  Current mandate at commercial airports is set to expire March 18, 2022.  Likewise I hope that it is let to expire.

• Like 2

RIC is expected to announce a new (or new) destination(s) tomorrow on Breeze Airways.  Waiting with bated breath to see what the announcement will be:

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1500912371124121610

Anyone want to take any guesses?

Looks like Breeze is adding new destinations (not necessarily nonstop from RIC...will just be operating out of new airports):  SYR, JAX, RDU, SRQ...maybe more.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, eandslee said:

RIC is expected to announce a new (or new) destination(s) tomorrow on Breeze Airways.  Waiting with bated breath to see what the announcement will be:

https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1500912371124121610

Anyone want to take any guesses?

London??? :tw_smiley:   Oh wait... it's not? :tw_confused:

What Breeze markets are specifically in play for RIC?

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

London??? :tw_smiley:   Oh wait... it's not? :tw_confused:

What Breeze markets are specifically in play for RIC?

I see what you did there (you're getting me to guess).  Okay, I'll bite:

I can see JAX being a new destination for RIC, maybe SRQ (Sarasota, FL - going head to head with Allegiant Airways)...maybe even BDL (Windsor Locks, CT).  I also can't help to think there might be an international destination coming soon.  There have been a few hints this is coming...I just don't know the timing.  May not be this time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I see what you did there (you're getting me to guess).  Okay, I'll bite:

I can see JAX being a new destination for RIC, maybe SRQ (Sarasota, FL - going head to head with Allegiant Airways)...maybe even BDL (Windsor Locks, CT).  I also can't help to think there might be an international destination coming soon.  There have been a few hints this is coming...I just don't know the timing.  May not be this time.

Dang it!! And all this time I've been holding out hope for London. :tw_confused:

Is it just me, but Sarasota and Hartford don't exactly strike me a "sexy" fly markets for RIC? Maybe they are - but what are the real chances for a successful launch -- and even more -- sustaining a high-enough passenger volume to keep them?

9 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Dang it!! And all this time I've been holding out hope for London. :tw_confused:

Is it just me, but Sarasota and Hartford don't exactly strike me a "sexy" fly markets for RIC? Maybe they are - but what are the real chances for a successful launch -- and even more -- sustaining a high-enough passenger volume to keep them?

Well, I wouldn't have thought all the service to Florida cities that RIC has would be all that profitable because I think there is nonstop service to virtually every city in Florida from RIC.  Apparently, people in RIC love to go to Florida...all parts of Florida!

No, they certainly are not sexy destinations, but I'm setting myself up so that there is no disappointment if there isn't anything sexier announced for RIC.  Honestly, I'd love to see nonstop service from RIC to LAS or SFO or SAN or SLC or PHX...any of those would be good.  Internationally, would like to, at least, see RIC to CUN and saw where maybe they are exploring RIC to MBJ (Montego Bay, Jamaica).

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2