Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I think in today’s world, the only thing that Richmond can do to attract new flights or to land a hub would be to do what cities like Austin and Raleigh-Durham are doing - land big businesses and grow a significant population that will drive new air service. I’ve been told many times by RIC airport officials that the service the airport provides is a direct reflection of the economic standing of the Richmond Metro area.  As it grows (in businesses and people) air service will match that, as long as folks use RIC instead of using other airports (e.g. IAD or DCA) - fill up every flight RIC has.  Cities like Raleigh and Austin are on “the map” - well-known cities that are desirable enough that big companies and people are moving there in droves.  Their air service reflects the economic status of their cities.  Richmond will have to do the same to really see significant growth at the airport. The Piedmont thing (the offer of a major hub) doesn’t happen very often and is not likely to happen anymore…especially at RIC, but it’s a dream I’ve dreamed would happen again.  If it does ever happen again, I will personally go down there and jump on desks until the commission says yes!!!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Special thanks to @Downtowner for finding these two tidbits of information in the Henrico Citizen and pointing them out to me.  At first glance, these might seem benign, but these have the potential to be HUGE for the airport:

Here's the article for reference:

https://www.henricocitizen.com/articles/federal-funding-coming-for-several-projects-in-henrico/?fbclid=IwAR1dWrJY5t94OoXcELh9ViGv59Pmb6pIvZF7uq4WyN_H8rTKWKm77TORNiQ

These are the items I want to focus on:

• $5.8 million for the Virginia National Guard to assist with the planning and design for a relocated Virginia National Guard Army Aviation Support Facility in Sandston;

I didn't even know this was in the works yet, but this has the potential for a huge development.  This refers to the VA Army National Guard Aviation facility (with its helicopters near the end of Runway 34) on the southeast side of the airport.  Why is moving this facility such a big deal?  Because according to the airport's master plan, there is supposed to be a parallel runway that goes right through the current VA Army National Guard Aviation facility.  If that is moved to a different location, we are one major step closer to constructing a new, parallel runway at RIC!

• $3,9 million for Richmond International Airport to conduct a federal inspection service facility renovation project, which will renovate the existing federal inspection service facility (built in 2003) and allow the airport to provide non-stop, scheduled international flights to and from Richmond;

The implications of this one is more readily apparent - it says it right there in the bolded section.  If you don't believe RIC is about to get nonstop international flights, then, you just are not paying attention.  This is a major step to getting international flights at RIC again!!  My hunch is that Breeze Airways is eyeing RIC for international flights.  I think I read somewhere that RIC was submitting a package to apply for international flights (or something like that).  So, all very good news!

Here is a link to the airport's master plan for reference:

https://flyrichmond.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ric_alpmap.pdf

These will be game-changers, to be sure.  Questions abound:

1.) WHAT would it take to tip the scales, say, once the Air National Guard has moved and there's nothing but "green grass and opportunity" separating RIC from having the parallel runway built. Is there ANY chance that the CRAC (particularly if some generous federal funding as part of any future infrastructure bills just happened to show up for the express purpose of building new airport facilities at RIC) would come off the dime and actually PRE-EMPTIVELY build that second runway in a PROACTIVE effort to grab the airline industry's attention and get SOMEONE to plunk a hub down here? I know -- that flies in the face of Virginia's long-standing tradition of "fiscal responsibility" (which, when it comes to RVA, I translate that as meaning "scared drekless to take a risk and actually proactively DO something that might be a game changer") - but still... I wonder because if we sit around waiting & waiting & waiting for the airport to max out capacity-wise, all of us on this board except for maybe the very youngest members of our little community will long-since be resting  underground in cemeteries or in little decorative urns on some family member's mantel before any of this ever comes to pass. Organic growth WILL NOT MAKE IT HAPPEN - and I don't care HOW much someone tries to sugarcoat it - the bottom line is that it simply won't work. It's too damn slow - and other localities that AREN'T afraid to take risks are moving WAY faster to jump on opportunity -- even BEFORE it knocks. This has been Richmond's bug-a-boo ever since I can remember. I've NEVER seen a supposedly 'big' or 'up-and-coming' locality/region SO bloody risk-averse in my life. Other cities aren't. We own the monopoly on the phobia against risk-taking.

2.) Current configuration and build-out of the terminal and concourses: Are both concourses A & B fully BUILT out? Meaning, as pertains to the airport master plan, there's no further expansion planned for 'A' OR 'B' given the most recent expansion? If there's any further expansion it would be in the form of a second terminal and a concourse "C"? (Again, I'm taking all of this off the master plan)

Finally - a housekeeping thought:

Given that we have the development maps permalinked on the forum site, perhaps it might be a good idea to create a similar permalink to the airport master plan. I have a hunch we may have need to refer to it some in the coming few years. Well, a hope, if not a hunch.

Edited by I miss RVA

• 2 weeks later...

WOW! That's actually kind of impressive, really. Mind you - I hope we convert any/all "seasonal" routes to "permanent" routes in the very near future -- especially the Los Angeles route. To have permanent direct flights to/from LAX AND SFO would be a HUGE win for RIC. Perhaps that (plus the service to Vegas) could open the door to add such routes as Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Portland and Seattle to the profile. There are some Midwest & Great Plains routes I'd love to see added as well: St. Louis, KC, OKC, Indy, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Memphis, Austin, San Antonio -- and in the East perhaps at least one location in upstate NY (Buffalo would be a good option) plus Pittsburgh.

So - 15 more domestic routes we need to get into the mix, preferably sooner rather than later. Not to mention some international routes.

I know... one step at a time... jeeezzzz... (heavy sigh...) 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

WOW! That's actually kind of impressive, really. Mind you - I hope we convert any/all "seasonal" routes to "permanent" routes in the very near future -- especially the Los Angeles route. To have permanent direct flights to/from LAX AND SFO would be a HUGE win for RIC. Perhaps that (plus the service to Vegas) could open the door to add such routes as Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Portland and Seattle to the profile. There are some Midwest & Great Plains routes I'd love to see added as well: St. Louis, KC, OKC, Indy, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Memphis, Austin, San Antonio -- and in the East perhaps at least one location in upstate NY (Buffalo would be a good option) plus Pittsburgh.

So - 15 more domestic routes we need to get into the mix, preferably sooner rather than later. Not to mention some international routes.

I know... one step at a time... jeeezzzz... (heavy sigh...) 

To add to your list I would like to see Milwaukee and hopefully one day Seattle.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

My parents live 15 min from RSW which seems like literally the only airport in FL they don't fly to :tw_confused:

and it's a bigger airport than half the other ones they fly to

PGD isn’t too far away…granted, it’s not as convenient as RSW, but still not too bad. I flew into RSW once and you’re right - probably the biggest airport in Southwest Florida. Not sure why no flights from RIC don’t fly there. Hmmmmm….

15 hours ago, Downtowner said:

To add to your list I would like to see Milwaukee and hopefully one day Seattle.

I wouldn't mind MKE being added -- it's actually more accessible to me, both distance and time-wise, than is ORD -- plus it's a bit more cost-friendly. And forget MDW - that's on the other side of the moon as far as I'm concerned.

Even through we're a ways off from something like this happening (if it EVER happens...) but regarding expanding the apron on the south side of Concourse B: based on what's in the master plan, wouldn't that also be the direction of apron expansion should a second terminal and a Concourse C be constructed, if/when a hub is secured and flight volumes warrant such expansion? 

Oh - and regarding building additional cargo facilities - all well and good - but they'd better keep them out of the way of where the parallel runways will (eventually) go! 

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Even through we're a ways off from something like this happening (if it EVER happens...) but regarding expanding the apron on the south side of Concourse B: based on what's in the master plan, wouldn't that also be the direction of apron expansion should a second terminal and a Concourse C be constructed, if/when a hub is secured and flight volumes warrant such expansion? 

Oh - and regarding building additional cargo facilities - all well and good - but they'd better keep them out of the way of where the parallel runways will (eventually) go! 

To your first question:  That’s right!

Also, the airport appears to be going through efforts to clear the way for a parallel runway, so the new cargo area will likely be established on the north side of runway 16-34, leaving a clear way to build another runway should it be needed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

To your first question:  That’s right!

Also, the airport appears to be going through efforts to clear the way for a parallel runway, so the new cargo area will likely be established on the north side of runway 16-34, leaving a clear way to build another runway should it be needed. 

Good. I'm glad to see the airport is approaching this correctly - making sure to not inadvertently place impediments to expansion in the way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Good. I'm glad to see the airport is approaching this correctly - making sure to not inadvertently place impediments to expansion in the way.

Absolutely. We have taken great care to support facility improvements to meet the needs of the community for the foreseeable future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flack4ric said:

Absolutely. We have taken great care to support facility improvements to meet the needs of the community for the foreseeable future.

I may have missed this previously: you work for/with the airport? Very cool! Glad we have an 'insider' in the fold!

Okay - that said - can you give us some insight into what it would take for RIC to land -- at a minimum -- a 'focus city' status for one of the carriers, such as a Breeze? Is there any discussion/push, etc., to bring Avelo Airlines here, perhaps to provide some head-to-head competition with Breeze? And this may be the $64,000 question - but is RIC essentially locked out in perpetuity of ever landing a full-fledged airline hub? Have all of the hubs been essentially taken? Are there just too many other airports nearby, some with actual hubs (mainly DCA and IAD in particular)? 

I highly doubt RIC will ever get a hub (sadly), primarily due to our location being so close to Dulles, Reagan, BWI and even Charlotte. Breeze has pretty much made RVA a focus city without actually calling it a focus city. It will be in the top 5 for most Breeze routes offered, with the same amount as New Orleans (a focus city) and less than 5 total routes behind Norfolk, Tampa and Bradley.  I don’t see any of the smaller low cost airlines establishing a hub here, as allegiant and spirit/frontier usually focus on highly popular tourists destinations. I could see JetBlue adding a focus city here in the future if their LA route does well, but sadly I don’t really see the possibility of any of the big 4 airlines adding a focus city here as opposed to Raleigh per say.

I do think Breeze is committed to expanding at RIC though, which is probably our best hope at quick growth. They seem to see ORF and RIC as major underserved areas and that seems like it will bode well for future expansion to other cities, such as Savannah, Fort Meyers or even Nashville, where they would compete against allegiant. Can’t wait for them to announce their international routes as I’m predicting we will get atleast one if not more routes to the Caribbean or even Western Europe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jet Blue to cut routes

Looks like RIC dodged a bullet this time.

Routes JetBlue is suspending 

• Boston - Key West
  • Fort Lauderdale - Cartagena
  • Fort Lauderdale - Chicago (O'Hare)
  • Fort Lauderdale - Cleveland
  • Fort Lauderdale - Grand Cayman
  • Fort Lauderdale - Portland, Oregon
  • Fort Lauderdale - Port of Spain
  • Fort Lauderdale - Providenciales
  • Fort Lauderdale - Seattle
  • Fort Lauderdale - St. Maarten
  • Hartford - Las Vegas
  • Hartford - San Francisco
  • New York (JFK) - Key West
  • Los Angeles - Austin
  • Los Angeles - Raleigh Durham
  • Los Angeles - San Jose
  • Los Angeles - West Palm Beach
  • Newark - Atlanta
  • Newark - Austin
  • Newark - Charleston
  • Newark - Jacksonville
  • Newark - Las Vegas
  • Newark - Phoenix
  • Newark - Raleigh Durham
  • Newark - San Diego
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Merrittk92 said:

Jet Blue to cut routes

Looks like RIC dodged a bullet this time.

Routes JetBlue is suspending 

• Boston - Key West
  • Fort Lauderdale - Cartagena
  • Fort Lauderdale - Chicago (O'Hare)
  • Fort Lauderdale - Cleveland
  • Fort Lauderdale - Grand Cayman
  • Fort Lauderdale - Portland, Oregon
  • Fort Lauderdale - Port of Spain
  • Fort Lauderdale - Providenciales
  • Fort Lauderdale - Seattle
  • Fort Lauderdale - St. Maarten
  • Hartford - Las Vegas
  • Hartford - San Francisco
  • New York (JFK) - Key West
  • Los Angeles - Austin
  • Los Angeles - Raleigh Durham
  • Los Angeles - San Jose
  • Los Angeles - West Palm Beach
  • Newark - Atlanta
  • Newark - Austin
  • Newark - Charleston
  • Newark - Jacksonville
  • Newark - Las Vegas
  • Newark - Phoenix
  • Newark - Raleigh Durham
  • Newark - San Diego

unnamed.jpg

22 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I may have missed this previously: you work for/with the airport? Very cool! Glad we have an 'insider' in the fold!

It's no accident that the account name here is the same as RIC's Twitter handle.  I monitor this channel for general sentiment and appreciate the enthusiasm of the regular contributors.  I know some dream of a hub. To make that happen, the solution is simple: grow the Richmond Region's population base and create good jobs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's no accident that the account name here is the same as RIC's Twitter handle.  I monitor this channel for general sentiment and appreciate the enthusiasm of the regular contributors.  I know some dream of a hub. To make that happen, the solution is simple: grow the Richmond Region's population base and create good jobs.

Thanks so much for responding! That sounds like a sound and solid prescription for success all the way around.

A couple of thoughts (and questions):

1.) How large does the RVA region need to be in order to attract a hub? I'm asking earnestly because I'd like to know from the air travel industry/airline/airport perspective what the target figure is for RVA to aim for that would tip the scales to bringing a hub here.

2.) Hub/population base - how do we solve chicken and egg question: While we're growing steadily, we're not growing at the supernova pace of Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh and other cities. Part of why we want the hub so desperately is not for the conveniences of better air travel.; We (at least some of us) want the hub because having a LARGE, well-served, well-connected hub airport is -- plain and simply -- is the rocket fuel that ignites explosive population growth and makes corporate relocation recruitment efforts much more likely to succeed. For as much as a significantly larger population base and solid job market might attract a hub, it's in actually having the hub that will dramatically increase the population base and presence of companies that offer the good jobs for which people will eagerly relocate to RVA.

So how do we solve this? From the city/region perspective, it's probably quite simple: old-fashioned aggressive grass roots marketing and company recruitment. But from the airport perspective, is there a way to bridge the gap? Particularly since INCREASED service and more/better direct-service destinations will help grow the region, is there a way to get there in the meantime? Perhaps focus-city service from one or more of the discount airlines? Recruitment of more discount carriers? 

Again, I'm asking earnestly. My fear is that if we simply leave it to "organic" growth (unfortunately, a VERY Richmond thing to do) we won't grow big enough for a hub not only in my lifetime, but likely in ANY of our lifetimes. It appears that RVA has missed out on quite a few opportunities over the past 30-40 years in not securing a hub at RIC when other airports -- especially so many of them within a couple hours' drive from RVA -- managed to grab one, and I fear we've allowed ourselves to get locked out of this competition in perpetuity.

Anyway - thanks so much for reading. I'd love to hear your insights!

1) You do a great job with RIC’s twitter.

2) A fun prop bet is whether RIC gets a hub or a 500-foot building first. One would think the latter, and would probably be right, but …. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

2) A fun prop bet is whether RIC gets a hub or a 500-foot building first. One would think the latter, and would probably be right, but …. 

This would be a GREAT poll question! Is there any way to put a poll up on this forum? (Does the software allow for it?)

Mind you, if you measure the buildings in "CoStar feet", umm... :tw_wink:

• Haha 3