Richmond International Airport

eandslee

19 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Was checking Breeze’s website and saw that starting in February, RIC-TPA will be upgraded again to daily service! Great news that Breeze has had a lot of success on this route, hopefully we see some new routes soon as more of their A220s come online (would love LA and Phoenix).

Sweet!! Same here - would love to see LA and Phoenix added to the mix. Austin would be a great add for someone to get up and running as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So the statistics for August have come out and RIC clocked 361,020 passengers, a 9% increase over August 2021. Positive news but still a little ways behind the 398,592 in August 2019. 

The Q2 passenger numbers released by USDOT also show quarterly travelers between city pairs. RIC’s largest unserved destinations are Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle and San Diego, in that order. I will add the full top 15 unserved routes below but the numbers really show potential on some of these routes for airlines to hop in and add some flights. Lots of these city pairs have potential to have added flights as passenger numbers always tend to increase when a direct flight is available.

Top 15 unserved destinations from RIC (by PDEW)

1. Los Angeles (167 PDEW)

2. Phoenix (78 PDEW)

3. Austin (75 PDEW)

4. Seattle (63 PDEW)

5. San Diego (62 PDEW)

6. Minneapolis/St Paul (58 PDEW)

7. Salt Lake City (50 PDEW)

8. San Antonio (47 PDEW)

9. St Louis (46 PDEW)

10. Jacksonville (43 PDEW)

11. Kansas City (40 PDEW)

12. Fort Myers (39 PDEW)

13. West Palm Beach (34 PDEW)

14. Memphis (33 PDEW)

15. Indianapolis (30 PDEW)

Below is linked the data for city pairs:

https://data.transportation.gov/widgets/yj5y-b2ir?mobile_redirect=true

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

So the statistics for August have come out and RIC clocked 361,020 passengers, a 9% increase over August 2021. Positive news but still a little ways behind the 398,592 in August 2019. 

The Q2 passenger numbers released by USDOT also show quarterly travelers between city pairs. RIC’s largest unserved destinations are Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle and San Diego, in that order. I will add the full top 15 unserved routes below but the numbers really show potential on some of these routes for airlines to hop in and add some flights. Lots of these city pairs have potential to have added flights as passenger numbers always tend to increase when a direct flight is available.

Top 15 unserved destinations from RIC (by PDEW)

1. Los Angeles (167 PDEW)

2. Phoenix (78 PDEW)

3. Austin (75 PDEW)

4. Seattle (63 PDEW)

5. San Diego (62 PDEW)

6. Minneapolis/St Paul (58 PDEW)

7. Salt Lake City (50 PDEW)

8. San Antonio (47 PDEW)

9. St Louis (46 PDEW)

10. Jacksonville (43 PDEW)

11. Kansas City (40 PDEW)

12. Fort Myers (39 PDEW)

13. West Palm Beach (34 PDEW)

14. Memphis (33 PDEW)

15. Indianapolis (30 PDEW)

Below is linked the data for city pairs:

https://data.transportation.gov/widgets/yj5y-b2ir?mobile_redirect=true

Great info and excellent data, @blopp1234!  Given the issues the airline industry is still wrestling with at this point, what do you see as the most realistic destinations that could find their way into the RIC direct-service rolodex in the 6 months to a year? And another question that's been rattling around in my brain at times: RIC has how-ever-many airlines currently serving it - but are there not other domestic carriers that -- as of yet -- do NOT serve Richmond? If so, what airlines would you think could possibly be tempted to set wheels down here over the course of the next year, next couple of years and next five years as the city and metro region continue to grow?

If international service becomes a reality at some point in 2023, are there any possibilities down the road for any non-domestic carriers to arrive on the scene at any point in the next 5 to 10 years?

16 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Great info and excellent data, @blopp1234!  Given the issues the airline industry is still wrestling with at this point, what do you see as the most realistic destinations that could find their way into the RIC direct-service rolodex in the 6 months to a year? And another question that's been rattling around in my brain at times: RIC has how-ever-many airlines currently serving it - but are there not other domestic carriers that -- as of yet -- do NOT serve Richmond? If so, what airlines would you think could possibly be tempted to set wheels down here over the course of the next year, next couple of years and next five years as the city and metro region continue to grow?

If international service becomes a reality at some point in 2023, are there any possibilities down the road for any non-domestic carriers to arrive on the scene at any point in the next 5 to 10 years?

LA seems like the most likely as almost all the major operators out of RIC could add this route due to high passenger demand and the fact that just about every airline has a major prescience in LA. Could range in operators from Breeze to JetBlue, American, Delta, United or even Alaska since they have a hub at LAX.

Phoenix seems alittle less likely however the demand is there for a breeze a220 or even American adding one of the new e175s they have on order.

Austin seems like a no brained for Allegiant or American as they both serve destinations with lower passengers numbers than an RIC to Austin route would have.

Seattle would be difficult to pull off due to the distance of the route, b it with deltas a220s coming on line, who knows.

Minneapolis is an easy add for delta, or even sun country airlines as demand is relatively solid, MSP is a hub and is without any current direct service.

The rest are toss ups that would largely fall to Breeze or Allegiant, who usually target unserved routes that major airlines wouldn’t be able to pull off such as RIC- west palm and Jacksonville for Breeze and RIC- Indianapolis and Memphis on Allegiant. 

As far as international routes, I wouldn’t put RIC- Toronto out of the realm of possibility for AirCanada Express, however I would be shocked if a European or Latin American Carrier moved in. With that being said, if Breeze decides to go international from RIC, I could see Cancun, Montego Bay, Punta Cana or Nassau being possibilities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, I miss RVA said:

If so, what airlines would you think could possibly be tempted to set wheels down here over the course of the next year, next couple of years and next five years as the city and metro region continue to grow?

I personally think that we'll definitely see the Los Angeles route come back within the next year. Either Breeze will pick it up, or you'll see jetBlue start up that route again after merging with spirit. I really don't see any of the current legacy carriers expanding anytime soon out of Richmond. Seattle maybe we see Alaska pop in like they did in Raleigh? Phoenix could be served by American or Southwest. With international service, I think we'll certainly see Canadian flights (w/ Air Canada?) and maybe low cost carriers hop in with possible flights to the tropical islands. But if we're talking like true international, I don't see us getting any anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Maybe some foreshadowing?  One can only hope!

You never know!

Mind you - keeping it in perspective - until proven otherwise, "international" as it pertains to RIC means ONLY stuff like Cancun, the Bahamas, MAYBE Toronto... we're not yet (for I'm guessing what must be good reasons) to the level YET where "international" means London, Paris, Berlin, Sao Paolo, Rio, much less Tokyo on Hong Kong -- or heck, even Mexico City on Vancouver (just to keep it a little closer)... You get the point.

Maybe one day - doubtful in any of OUR lifetimes we'll see RIC to Hong Kong, Johannesburg or Sydney or Moscow or Tokyo - but one can certainly hope!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Mind you - keeping it in perspective - until proven otherwise, "international" as it pertains to RIC means ONLY stuff like Cancun, the Bahamas, MAYBE Toronto... we're not yet (for I'm guessing what must be good reasons) to the level YET where "international" means London, Paris, Berlin, Sao Paolo, Rio, much less Tokyo on Hong Kong -- or heck, even Mexico City on Vancouver (just to keep it a little closer)... You get the point.

Maybe one day - doubtful in any of OUR lifetimes we'll see RIC to Hong Kong, Johannesburg or Sydney or Moscow or Tokyo - but one can certainly hope!

Exactly. Definitely in the next 10 years we'll certainly see "North American International" flights to the tropics and Canada. As of now the real international flight I can hope of in the next 10/15 years is maybe to Reykjavik, Iceland, since RDU has that route with Iceland Air. j

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niccckk said:

Exactly. Definitely in the next 10 years we'll certainly see "North American International" flights to the tropics and Canada. As of now the real international flight I can hope of in the next 10/15 years is maybe to Reykjavik, Iceland, since RDU has that route with Iceland Air. j

Hopefully London will come sooner than ten years.  While certainly a long flight (and long shot), I could see Emirates launching a RIC-DXB route.  RIC could be marketed as a backdoor into DC/NOVA.  Emirates doesn't appear to have a traditional profit/loss focus.  It functions more like a loss leader for Dubai so perhaps RIC could be an attractive East Coast destination from which to funnel people and business through the emirate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Niccckk said:

RDU also has a couple of European destinations, no?

I could see London within 10 years if Richmond remains on its current trajectory. I mean both Charleston and Raleigh have service to London so it wouldn’t shock me  but I think that’s a ways away from now. I would look at Caribbean expansion or Toronto as the most likely international expansions within the next year or so but I could see Breeze wanting to go transatlantic with the A220 to a secondary airport in the London area (Gatwick, Stansted or Luton) or even Dublin as Hartford just got direct service to Dublin. Might still be a ways off but one can dream!

I do like the concept of being a back door cheaper, less congested option to DC for international flights. That’s something that could seriously be boosted by improving rail service between RVA and DC and possibly building a station and regional line to the airport from MSS although that will take a real effort by the city in order to pull it off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I could see Breeze wanting to go transatlantic with the A220 to a secondary airport in the London area (Gatwick, Stansted or Luton) or even Dublin as Hartford just got direct service to Dublin. Might still be a ways off but one can dream!

100% for sure. Although Richmond isn't a "focus city" for Breeze we all know in our minds that it is, they probably don't refer to RIC as one since Norfolk is a base for Breeze. I can certainly see Breeze or jetBlue pop in with transatlantic flights over to London or Dublin like you said. Seeing that would be amazing.

Edited by Niccckk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niccckk said:

100% for sure. Although Richmond isn't a "focus city" for Breeze we all know in our minds that it is, they probably don't refer to RIC as one since Norfolk is a base for Breeze. I can certainly see Breeze or jetBlue pop in with transatlantic flights over to London or Dublin like you said. Seeing that would be amazing.

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I could see London within 10 years if Richmond remains on its current trajectory. I mean both Charleston and Raleigh have service to London so it wouldn’t shock me  but I think that’s a ways away from now. I would look at Caribbean expansion or Toronto as the most likely international expansions within the next year or so but I could see Breeze wanting to go transatlantic with the A220 to a secondary airport in the London area (Gatwick, Stansted or Luton) or even Dublin as Hartford just got direct service to Dublin. Might still be a ways off but one can dream!

I do like the concept of being a back door cheaper, less congested option to DC for international flights. That’s something that could seriously be boosted by improving rail service between RVA and DC and possibly building a station and regional line to the airport from MSS although that will take a real effort by the city in order to pull it off.

This would be a HUGE win for RVA and RIC if it ever came to pass. Logistically it works, particularly as you said, @blopp1234, with the renewed emphasis on rail between MSS and Washington. Agreed, @Niccckk- Breeze might not "refer" to RIC as a focus city airport - but using RIC as a backdoor international mini-hub for Washington makes infinitely more sense than trying to do the same via ORF (just the logistics alone make that completely untenable). Wow - this is a concept that really honestly should be forwarded on to the powers that be at the CRAC, as well as the economic development group that's pushing so hard for business recruitment to the Richmond metro region. Perhaps the governor's office, mayor's office, among many MANY other outlets. Bringing together a coalition of business, civic and government leadership all pushing hard for this kind of development in a coordinated manner just might bring it to pass.

This is something that needs to be put in front of the eyes of the right people who could make this happen.

3 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I’m hearing rumors of Breeze Airways about to start new service between RIC and PHX.  I don’t have a link yet because the link to the news is broken (I think the news was released too early, they realized it and killed the link), but others who saw the news have mentioned that one of the new Breeze routes for RIC includes PHX. I’m standing by for something official. 

REALLLLLLLLLLLY???  That's a really great bolt out of the blue. Here's hoping it comes to pass.

I like Sky Harbor Airport - I've always had good experiences flying into/out of Phoenix.

Except for the weather, I really like Phoenix - a fun place to visit. Have always had a good time (being able to play golf in February while the ex-wife and kids were shivering in sub-freezing, foot-of-snow-on-the-ground weather in the Windy City was quite a blast.)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

REALLLLLLLLLLLY???  That's a really great bolt out of the blue. Here's hoping it comes to pass.

I like Sky Harbor Airport - I've always had good experiences flying into/out of Phoenix.

Except for the weather, I really like Phoenix - a fun place to visit. Have always had a good time (being able to play golf in February while the ex-wife and kids were shivering in sub-freezing, foot-of-snow-on-the-ground weather in the Windy City was quite a blast.)

My wife and I flew through Phoenix to hike parts of the Grand Canyon and other parts of AZ. When we returned to the airport to head home, I’ll always remember a large group of Native Americans, Hopi I believe but not sure, heading out to fight a forest fire. They live such private lives and to be around them, I just really enjoyed seeing them.  With my limited knowledge of their lives, I believe it’s what they symbolize, their love of the land and nature and to go work so hard to try to save the land, it made me smile. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hike said:

My wife and I flew through Phoenix to hike parts of the Grand Canyon and other parts of AZ. When we returned to the airport to head home, I’ll always remember a large group of Native Americans, Hopi I believe but not sure, heading out to fight a forest fire. They live such private lives and to be around them, I just really enjoyed seeing them.  With my limited knowledge of their lives, I believe it’s what they symbolize, their love of the land and nature and to go work so hard to try to save the land, it made me smile. 

Beautiful! I love it! What you wrote has me smiling at the moment. :tw_smile:

8 hours ago, eandslee said:

Just found out that the PHX-RIC route will run twice weekly (Monday and Friday), similar to the RIC-SFO and RIC-LAS routes. 

Edit:  added which 2 days per week. 

Also of note, the RIC-LAS route increases to 4x per week on 1 November. 

Here’s an unofficial report:

CABA2831-B151-4515-81E0-0759CE2F4A92.jpeg

I edited this post with some further details I learned about this new development. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, I miss RVA said:

RIC’s largest unserved destinations are Los Angeles, Phoenix, Austin, Seattle and San Diego, in that order. I will add the full top 15 unserved routes below but the numbers really show potential on some of these routes for airlines to hop in and add some flights. Lots of these city pairs have potential to have added flights as passenger numbers always tend to increase when a direct flight is available.

lol as we were talking about underserved routes, BOOM, breeze comes in with Phoenix.

Do you think we'll see any legacy carriers try to compete with Breeze on any of these routes in the future (like if they see there is a lot of pax demand?)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Niccckk said:

lol as we were talking about underserved routes, BOOM, breeze comes in with Phoenix.

Do you think we'll see any legacy carriers try to compete with Breeze on any of these routes in the future (like if they see there is a lot of pax demand?)

For some reason I just don’t see the legacy carriers budging on hardly anything…especially at RIC. They seem to have not even reacted to any of the Breeze routes thus far. I know Southwest and JetBlue aren’t  legacy carriers, but even they ran away from serving the RIC-TPA route when Breeze moved in. I’d say that as long as Breeze doesn’t serve the same markets as the legacy carriers, everything will stay the same. I don’t see any legacy carrier stretching out and serving a new route right now just because Breeze discovers a heavy demand on a certain route.  Just my 2 cents, but I could be completely wrong.