Richmond International Airport

eandslee

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Yeah - we still have some work to do to bridge that gap of another 29 daily flights to get to 100 per day - but no question we can do it. Question is - how long will it take, realistically?

Re: Spirit RIC-to/from-LAS -- I'm hopeful this route will do really well without taking away from Breeze's success on the route. What's the over/under that BOTH Breeze & Spirit will have success on this route - particularly if they fly at different times of day from each other?

Keep in mind that the Breeze route uses RIC as a thru city. TPA-RIC-LAS. LAS-RIC-TPA so this flight will always have a heavy load. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Merrittk92 said:

Keep in mind that the Breeze route uses RIC as a thru city. TPA-RIC-LAS. LAS-RIC-TPA so this flight will always have a heavy load. 

That may be the case. Having RIC be a Breeze Thru was probably good insurance for Breeze on this route initially as it probably wasn’t 100% clear if RIC could support the route on its own. The one thing I don’t know is how many coming from TPA are getting off at RIC and how many are continuing on to LAS. Since JetBlue and Allegiant (and I think Southwest at one time) backed out of the TPA market completely, I’d venture to say that right many, if not most travelers coming from TPA are getting off at RIC (just my educated guess).  Also, many air travelers don’t want to have to stop somewhere else before they end up at their final destination…again I’m spitting off an educated guess here.  So, it’s hard to tell without seeing the statistics the airline tracks, but given that Spirit has started daily flights between the cities tells me that there is enough demand for 2 airlines serving this route. It’s either that or Spirit is just crazy (which I won’t rule out either)!  LOL!

Edited by eandslee

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

That may be the case. Having RIC be a Breeze Thru was probably good insurance for Breeze on this route initially as it probably wasn’t 100% clear if RIC could support the route on its own. The one thing I don’t know is how many coming from TPA are getting off at RIC and how many are continuing on to LAS. Since JetBlue and Allegiant (and I think Southwest at one time) backed out of the TPA market completely, I’d venture to say that right many, if not most travelers coming from TPA are getting off at RIC (just my educated guess).  Also, many air travelers don’t want to have to stop somewhere else before they end up at their final destination…again I’m spitting off an educated guess here.  So, it’s hard to tell without seeing the statistics the airline tracks, but given that Spirit has started daily flights between the cities tells me that there is enough demand for 2 airlines serving this route. It’s either that or Spirit is just crazy (which I won’t rule out either)!  LOL!

Question: How does a "breeze-thru" flight impact Richmond's passenger totals? Are passengers counted ONLY if they get on or off the plane at RIC? Is the Vegas route ALWAYS a Breeze Thru to Tampa (and vice versa)?

13 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Question: How does a "breeze-thru" flight impact Richmond's passenger totals? Are passengers counted ONLY if they get on or off the plane at RIC? Is the Vegas route ALWAYS a Breeze Thru to Tampa (and vice versa)?

Actually, I’m not 100% sure…I would think that only those who get off the plane are counted in a Breeze-Thru scenario.  

RIC is always a Breeze-Thru to LAS and vise versa from TPA.  It’s always BDL-RIC-PHX (and vise versa) and it’s always CHS-RIC-SFO (and vise versa)…and soon (18 May) it will be PVD-RIC-LAX and vise versa. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Actually, I’m not 100% sure…I would think that only those who get off the plane are counted in a Breeze-Thru scenario.  

RIC is always a Breeze-Thru to LAS and vise versa from TPA.  It’s always BDL-RIC-PHX (and vise versa) and it’s always CHS-RIC-SFO (and vise versa)…and soon (18 May) it will be PVD-RIC-LAX and vise versa. 

Good to know. Either way - it's nice that RIC is now an integral part of a "network" so-to-speak of flights that in the process just so happen to connect us to a ton of destinations. No matter how you slice it, it's a win for RIC and for RVA. Just like (is it Southwest?) is doing at RDU - can you say UNOFFICIAL "hub" for Breeze? 

I love how all of this is unfolding. Hopefully we can bump up the frequencies - and also add more of both these Breeze-Thru routes - AND - routes that begin and end at RIC.

Would love Spirit to step up their game and offer destinations NOT served by Breeze. And right, wrong or indifferent, I still want Frontier here. Yes-  I realize everything is driven by demand metrics. But I can't help but wonder if airlines like Spirit and Frontier might see what Breeze is doing at RVA - and want in on a piece of the action. (Like Spirit giving us daily Vegas service - and that came completely out of left field - didn't see that coming!)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

AND - routes that begin and end at RIC.

I would love this, but Breeze would definitely need to base some aircraft here for that to be possible.. which hopefully down the road we see happen, because after all we are Breeze's biggest airport that is not a focus city.. and we're nearing some focus city numbers as well with the new seasonals starting this month. I really think soon we can see them base an aircraft or two here. I think it honestly has to do with the amount of aircraft they have, so they are limited on expansion right now.. once they get more A220s in their fleet I can hopefully see us becoming a base down the road. Don't wanna set my hopes too high though 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Niccckk said:

I would love this, but Breeze would definitely need to base some aircraft here for that to be possible.. which hopefully down the road we see happen, because after all we are Breeze's biggest airport that is not a focus city.. and we're nearing some focus city numbers as well with the new seasonals starting this month. I really think soon we can see them base an aircraft or two here. I think it honestly has to do with the amount of aircraft they have, so they are limited on expansion right now.. once they get more A220s in their fleet I can hopefully see us becoming a base down the road. Don't wanna set my hopes too high though 😅

Basing aircraft at RIC: From your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend!!

Beginning/ending at RIC: But not every Breeze flight in/out of RIC is a "Breeze-Thru" - correct? Or are they?

Edited by I miss RVA

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Beginning/ending at RIC: But not every Breeze flight in/out of RIC is a "Breeze-Thru" - correct? Or are they?

No they are not. MSY, some TPA, as well as some seasonals coming up are not going to be Breeze Thrus. 

Scenes from the airport this morning thanks to my good friend Mr. Tingfah:

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

No they are not. MSY, some TPA, as well as some seasonals coming up are not going to be Breeze Thrus. 

Scenes from the airport this morning thanks to my good friend Mr. Tingfah:

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3795.jpeg

1.) Non-Breeze Thrus - and routes: Okay - good to know! Hopefully @Niccckkis correct and, with additional available aircraft, Breeze might base a few planes here. That would be amazing!

2.) Pictures: PLEASE thank your good friend for us! WOW - RIC is starting to actually look like a real airport!

3.) The pix raise a question: what are the earliest and latest flights into and out of RIC every day? Just curious how early planes start showing up and how late they arrive and/or leave.

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

1.) Non-Breeze Thrus - and routes: Okay - good to know! Hopefully @Niccckkis correct and, with additional available aircraft, Breeze might base a few planes here. That would be amazing!

2.) Pictures: PLEASE thank your good friend for us! WOW - RIC is starting to actually look like a real airport!

3.) The pix raise a question: what are the earliest and latest flights into and out of RIC every day? Just curious how early planes start showing up and how late they arrive and/or leave.

1)  Let's hope that happens soon...would love for RIC to become a hub gradually, without any formal announcement...just kind of quietly in the night.

2) I will pass on your thanks to him!

3) As for RIC schedule of flights...here's what you are looking for:

Earliest flights out of RIC daily:  The first flight typically starts at about 0500 every morning (usually a flight from RIC to CLT).  From about 0500 to 0700, there are about 19-20 flights that depart the airport as part of its morning rush.  It starts to slow down just a small bit after 0730 or so (there are still flights departing, but not at the clip that occurs earlier).

As for the latest flights on a typical day at RIC - departure flights usually end around the 8:00pm hour (remember TSA closes at 8:00pm and opens at 0400), but lately with Breeze, Allegiant, etc., flights are leaving later.  For example, the last departure tonight leaves at 9:47pm (a flight to Orlando/Sanford) on Allegiant.  Tomorrow night, Breeze will have the late night departures with a flight departing at 9:35pm.  I have seen flights leave much later if the flight gets delayed.  I've seen Breeze depart after 11:00pm due to flights being delayed for several hours. 

As for late arrivals, RIC is generally in "receive mode" after the evening rush, starting at about 8:00pm where flights are arriving and parking overnight (with few exceptions, like Breeze).  The latest passenger service flights typically end after midnight.  For example, tonight there are 3 arriving flights after midnight:  a 12:10am flight from ATL (Southwest), a 12:20am flight from ATL (Delta), and a 12:38am flight from Detroit (Delta).  On most nights, there are a series of cargo flights (Amazon, DHL, FedEX, and UPS) that arrive between the hours of 0100 and 0500/0600 (usually about 5-6 flights arriving between those hours) - fairly quiet.  Then, the first passenger flights start arriving to RIC at about 0800 or so, right after the heavy rush of departures.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, eandslee said:

1)  Let's hope that happens soon...would love for RIC to become a hub gradually, without any formal announcement...just kind of quietly in the night.

2) I will pass on your thanks to him!

3) As for RIC schedule of flights...here's what you are looking for:

Earliest flights out of RIC daily:  The first flight typically starts at about 0500 every morning (usually a flight from RIC to CLT).  From about 0500 to 0700, there are about 19-20 flights that depart the airport as part of its morning rush.  It starts to slow down just a small bit after 0730 or so (there are still flights departing, but not at the clip that occurs earlier).

As for the latest flights on a typical day at RIC - departure flights usually end around the 8:00pm hour (remember TSA closes at 8:00pm and opens at 0400), but lately with Breeze, Allegiant, etc., flights are leaving later.  For example, the last departure tonight leaves at 9:47pm (a flight to Orlando/Sanford) on Allegiant.  Tomorrow night, Breeze will have the late night departures with a flight departing at 9:35pm.  I have seen flights leave much later if the flight gets delayed.  I've seen Breeze depart after 11:00pm due to flights being delayed for several hours. 

As for late arrivals, RIC is generally in "receive mode" after the evening rush, starting at about 8:00pm where flights are arriving and parking overnight (with few exceptions, like Breeze).  The latest passenger service flights typically end after midnight.  For example, tonight there are 3 arriving flights after midnight:  a 12:10am flight from ATL (Southwest), a 12:20am flight from ATL (Delta), and a 12:38am flight from Detroit (Delta).  On most nights, there are a series of cargo flights (Amazon, DHL, FedEX, and UPS) that arrive between the hours of 0100 and 0500/0600 (usually about 5-6 flights arriving between those hours) - fairly quiet.  Then, the first passenger flights start arriving to RIC at about 0800 or so, right after the heavy rush of departures.

Thanks, @eandslee-- to your first point, from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! 👍

Good to know how the typical day goes. I long for the day that we get to triple digits of flights per day and just keep going from there. I lament the relative "sparsity" of activity relative to what I see happening around here every day. I know it's an apples-to-oranges comparison (very few airports can come close to happens at ORD) - but the neighborhood in which I live on the city's North Side just happens to fall within one of the primary approach corridors to O'Hare - where many flights come in over the Lake, flying parallel to the lakeshore then they turn west - and their flight path takes the directly over where I live. This past Friday, I was walking through the neighborhood at around 11 a.m. - and airliners were coming in overhead, over and over and over, one after the other after the other, flying from east-to-west, heading toward the airport at the rate of about one plane every 45 to 60 seconds (and certainly no longer of a gap between planes than 60 seconds). I kept thinking - "wow - I SO wish it was like this at RIC!"

Again, I know - apples and oranges - but boy... we can dream, can't we?

7 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Okay, treat #2 for today!  This time I captured VIDEO of Breeze Airways Flight 116 from RIC landing at LAS!  Enjoy!

RPReplay_Final1683484853.mov

Sweet!!

Wow - when did we ever think we'd live to see the day there's be two flights from RIC to Vegas on two different airlines? Pretty cool!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

Sweet!!

Wow - when did we ever think we'd live to see the day there's be two flights from RIC to Vegas on two different airlines? Pretty cool!

Yes!  Richmond will become a common city name in Las Vegas finally!

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Is it my imagination or is the American Airlines jetliner in this pic a bigger/longer aircraft that the others queueing up to the gates?

IMG_3795.thumb.jpeg.e4a343d62c281c5d760d228cff45fe4a.jpeg

That is a Delta Airlines Boeing 757.  Delta has been flying these almost every hour (it seems) to and from RIC and ATL for the past several months (they’ll sneak a Boeing 737 in the line-up from time to time, but it’s mostly these big ones). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

That is a Delta Airlines Boeing 757.  Delta has been flying these almost every hour (it seems) to and from RIC and ATL for the past several months (they’ll sneak a Boeing 737 in the line-up from time to time, but it’s mostly these big ones). 

Crap - I can't read. Yeah - Delta. (I don't need new glasses- I need new eyes!)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, eandslee said:

n case you didn't know and are looking to take a cheap trip from RIC.  Book now:

Wow! My wife and I were all set to book a family trip to Charleston - a place we want to go! -- until we looked at the calendar and saw baseball tournaments and dance recitals fill up every weekend through June 20. Next time!

• Like 1