Richmond International Airport

eandslee

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

I usually hangout at WaWa's to plane spot.

Not a huge fan of the WaWa location…flights do go right overhead if flights are landing from the north, but the traffic there gets in the way of good views if landings and take-offs. There really is no magical place to plane spot at RIC, that’s why I wish they’d build or make a space available for plane spotting. Most airports have a place for this…RIC, not so much. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Not a huge fan of the WaWa location…flights do go right overhead if flights are landing from the north, but the traffic there gets in the way of good views if landings and take-offs. There really is no magical place to plane spot at RIC, that’s why I wish they’d build or make a space available for plane spotting. Most airports have a place for this…RIC, not so much. 

image.jpeg.d1d1dbca23d892d60c549704224533bb.jpeg agreed!

We need something like "LA Flights Live" for Richmond. Maybe someone could start a YouTube channel called "RIC Flights LIVE" image.png.d304fdc307e0be7791794155f71622e5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

image.jpeg.d1d1dbca23d892d60c549704224533bb.jpeg agreed!

We need something like "LA Flights Live" for Richmond. Maybe someone could start a YouTube channel called "RIC Flights LIVE" image.png.d304fdc307e0be7791794155f71622e5.png

I would LOVE that!  Only thing is that we would need a sponsor to mount a camera there with a good view of the airport runways and the LAS system uses some swanky technology to automatically track flights (panning the camera and focusing on them as they land - it’s really cool stuff!).  When there is a break in flights,  the camera could just point at the terminal and concourses for a general sense of what’s going on. It would be really cool!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

I would LOVE that!  Only thing is that we would need a sponsor to mount a camera there with a good view of the airport runways and the LAS system uses some swanky technology to automatically track flights (panning the camera and focusing on them as they land - it’s really cool stuff!).  When there is a break in flights,  the camera could just point at the terminal and concourses for a general sense of what’s going on. It would be really cool!

Indeed it would! I believe there's something similar set up at LGA as well, which make sense - NYC and LA being the largest two markets in the country and both cities having extremely busy airports.

I get jealous watching them, though. I SOOO want to see a few "heavies" like an A380 or a 747 landing/taking off at RIC. Even just one of each per day would be super cool. Those A380s are BEASTS. Man - can you imagine what THAT would look like, saddling up to a jetway at RIC? 

• Like 2

I apologize if it’s been stated already but this conversation got me thinking. What’s the largest commercial airplane that flys in and out of RIC? I looked online but didn’t see anything. I think the biggest I’ve personally been on is an A320 or one of its variants. 

24 minutes ago, BigBobbyG said:

I apologize if it’s been stated already but this conversation got me thinking. What’s the largest commercial airplane that flys in and out of RIC? I looked online but didn’t see anything. I think the biggest I’ve personally been on is an A320 or one of its variants. 

I constantly monitor flights in and out of RIC and I can confirm that the largest COMMERCIAL flights regularly flying in and out of RIC are Boeing 757s and Airbus A321.  Both of these aircraft hold about the same number of passengers (about 150-200 depending on seating configuration), but the Boeing 757 is bigger. Delta is flying this aircraft between RIC and ATL about (on average) 5-6 round trips a day.  So one is either landing or taking off from RIC 10-12 times a day. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Here she comes!  New service between RIC and MSP on Sun Country Airlines!  If memory serves, this will start out as a twice weekly service.  Delta Airlines will restart daily service between to two cities in June. 

IMG_3834.png

Here's hoping that Sun Country will add destinations to/from RIC in the near future. I worry with Delta restarting the MSP service that Sun Country might get bumped out of the market on this route.  Hopefully even with Delta restarting the route, Sun Country will find it viable to offer this service on-going - maybe flying at times counter to what Delta offers.

QUESTION: Is this only going to be a seasonal route - or - is Delta planning to make this a permanent daily flight?

Edited by I miss RVA

36 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Celebratory photos of today’s festivities at RIC as Sun Country Airlines launched it inaugural flight from RIC to MSP.  Gosh, gotta love all the news this week coming out of the airport!  Photos courtesy of Richmond International Airport:

IMG_3835.jpeg

IMG_3836.jpeg

IMG_3837.jpeg

IMG_3838.jpeg

LOVING THIS!!!

A heartfelt WELCOME TO RVA to our friends at Sun Country Airlines!! May they enjoy tremendous success flying to/from Richmond! image.png.2f6d29bab59b86f284b3a3d6fd9c0371.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

When Bush 43 was President, he was in Richmond campaigning for the GOP candidate during the Gubernatorial Election.  I wanted to see Air Force One takeoff, so after work I hurried to RIC before the motorcade arrived.  I took up position in a field with a dirt road right next to the airport.  I got a great view of Air Force One as it sat on the tarmac.  The motorcade arrived, but no one exited any of the vehicles.  I was wondering what was going on.  Then saw flashing lights racing through the field towards me.  I then realized I was about to have an "oh crap" moment and was greeted by the Secret Service and Henrico Police.  After being searched, including my vehicle, got see Air Force One take off.  However, Air Force One took off from a different runway then I had guessed.   

OUCH!!! WOW - what a story!

5 hours ago, Shakman said:

When Bush 43 was President, he was in Richmond campaigning for the GOP candidate during the Gubernatorial Election.  I wanted to see Air Force One takeoff, so after work I hurried to RIC before the motorcade arrived.  I took up position in a field with a dirt road right next to the airport.  I got a great view of Air Force One as it sat on the tarmac.  The motorcade arrived, but no one exited any of the vehicles.  I was wondering what was going on.  Then saw flashing lights racing through the field towards me.  I then realized I was about to have an "oh crap" moment and was greeted by the Secret Service and Henrico Police.  After being searched, including my vehicle, got see Air Force One take off.  However, Air Force One took off from a different runway then I had guessed.

WOW! Haha. Something kind of similar happened to me when jetBlue was doing the inaugural for their LAX flight. I parked right outside one of the fence gates on East Side Lane, and I guess the airport police thought I was "suspicious" and questioned me why I was there. When I told them about I was there to take pics they were totally cool with it and waited for it to take off, and they followed me back out to Williamsburg Road. I wasn't on private property at all, but I guess they weren't taking any chances.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, I miss RVA said:

LOVING THIS!!!

A heartfelt WELCOME TO RVA to our friends at Sun Country Airlines!! May they enjoy tremendous success flying to/from Richmond! image.png.2f6d29bab59b86f284b3a3d6fd9c0371.png

I gotta follow up - I am REALLY pulling for Sun Country to do well flying into/out of Richmond and that they're here to stay. Very glad they're part of the RIC fold and I'm hoping they'll be adding destinations and beefing up flight frequencies in the near future.

Not only that, they totally won my heart. They brought cupcakes! Silly as it may sound, that totally made me smile and brought a happy tear to my eyes. They really made the new RIC-MSP route a big event - and I hope it goes VERY well for them. Mind you, I want Delta to do well with it, too, since they're planning it as a permanent route. But I'm really pulling for Sun Country to find great success at RIC and to start adding destinations to/from Richmond in the coming months or over the next year. I'm really happy they're here. image.png.3ebce29bcf4a8e98d3541c7405a4cfd8.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

Awesome report and awesome pics!!!  Great!  Hopefully, pretty soon you’ll be able to walk from one Concourse to the other!  Thanks for the load factor reports too!  I didn’t have a whole lot of faith in the CVG-RIC, but looks like it’s doing great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

1.) Took Breeze out to Cincinnati ... The flight back looked really full as well, which is a great sign and may make Breeze consider adding more midwestern routes from RIC for next summer. 

2.) Concourse A was packed on Friday and made Richmond feel like a major airport with all the people and the planes constantly coming in and going out. While I couldn’t go into concourse B, there were lots of planes parked at the gates so I assume it was busy as well.

3.)We did have to sit on the tarmac for about 15 minutes waiting for the ground crew to finish helping taxi a departing Allegiant flight headed to St Petersburg. Makes me wonder if the airport doesn’t have enough ground crew to keep up with demand and all the new flights! 

4.) The appeared success that Breeze seems to be having on their route to the Midwest makes me think that other airlines may try and get a piece of the Richmond to Midwest market.

5a.) I’d love to see Frontier enter Richmond and add flights to Cleveland,

5b.) Allegiant add flights to Indy, Breeze add flights to Louisville and/or Columbus and Southwest add flights to St Louis and/or Kansas City. Im not sure exactly how possible some of these routes are but using the right sized aircraft could be a solid short haul flight for an airline to add.

Great stuff, @blopp1234!! IF I can get myself together enough to do it - more silverware will be headed your way.

A few thoughts - organized by the components of your outstanding report:

1.) This may make Breeze consider adding more midwestern routes: from your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! Here's hoping!

2.) Concourses packed/RIC starting to look like a major airport: music to my ears. Gotta keep THIS trend rolling!

3.) Tarmac delay/ground crew: that's an EXCELLENT point. Hopefully the airport can correct for this sooner rather than later. Gotta keep the ops flowing smooth as silk to keep things rolling so the airlines might add more flights (and more airlines might come!)

4.)  Breeze's success with midwest routes/other airlines getting in on the action: Okay! That would certainly work, particularly if it's not DIRECT competition.

5a.) Frontier: Hmmm... now WHERE on these forums have you heard the repeated call for getting Frontier to enter the Richmond market? image.jpeg.edd46c87689ff0f886976b7e28e5cecb.jpeg

5b.) New unserved midwest routes from RIC for Allegiant and Southwest: From your keyboard to God's eyes my friend. Those would be outstanding additional destinations, continuing the trend of RIC's destination profile increasing.

Great stuff!! This is, indeed, encouraging!

This was found on Facebook and was brought to my attention.  Can’t say that having a good airport with a variety of destination options isn’t important. This is proof and helped land this event in the Richmond area:

IMG_3976.jpeg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This was found on Facebook and was brought to my attention.  Can’t say that having a good airport with a variety of destination options isn’t important. This is proof and helped land this event in the Richmond area:

IMG_3976.jpeg

image.jpeg.33b4a05129674c1b762f251db473f471.jpeg!!!

Having a robust airport with a large collection of airlines serving a large roster of destinations with (hopefully) high flight frequency is CRITICAL to the economic health of a given region. Landing events such as this is one of the many ingredients that go into the mix of a healthy metro/regional economy.

• Like 1