Richmond International Airport

eandslee

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Wonder how the flight loads have been so far for Sun Country? Glad they're running 737s. Wonder if Delta will upgrade at some point?

Delta seems to be averaging load factors of around 70-80% on their 76 seat CRJ-900, which makes it a profitable route for them. I don’t know about Sun Country because I can’t figure out how to access the seat map for their flights. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

What timing! I flew to MSP last week and couldn't find a direct when I booked it. Glad to know there will be a direct now.

I flew RIC -> CLT -> MSP - MSN -> CLT -> RIC.

The CLT -> RIC was on an AA A321 that was ~95% full.

oh wow! Okay!

Welp - good news now is you have two direct RIC-MSP options - Delta and Sun Country, depending on what day, etc. you plan to fly. 👍😊

28 minutes ago, eandslee said:

April 2023 passenger count formal announcement by the airport.  Nothing we didn't already know...just good to see that a formal announcement was made:

https://flyrichmond.com/best-ever-april-as-traffic-recovery-continues-at-ric/?fbclid=IwAR06J1SkJmzkk3KeEGNboHMy4KVGoN7HS32kDBQcgG2AXPxrLMVAWjWsOjM

So according to the presser, RIC is served by nine airlines. We need to add Frontier and get it to an even 10.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Agreed.

I'm going just off the top of my head here. So RIC is served by these carriers?

BIG 3: American, Delta, United

Discount: Allegiant, Breeze, Jet Blue, Spirit, Sun Country, Southwest

Is Jet Blue still in the mix - and if not, did I miss one?

ALSO - when we had international service to Toronto - was that by a U.S. carrier or by Air Canada (or a subsidiary)?

You got them all. JetBlue is still flying in and out of RIC.  Wish they would expand service though.

The flight to Toronto was served by Air Canada back in the day. 

Just saw a poster in Facebook a little while ago that RDU serves 65 domestic destinations and about 6 international destinations…I think RIC serves about 35 domestic destinations if memory serves, and no International destinations…yet.  RIC has lots of growing to do. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, eandslee said:

You got them all. JetBlue is still flying in and out of RIC.  Wish they would expand service though.

The flight to Toronto was served by Air Canada back in the day. 

Just saw a poster in Facebook a little while ago that RDU serves 65 domestic destinations and about 6 international destinations…I think RIC serves about 35 domestic destinations if memory serves, and no International destinations…yet.  RIC has lots of growing to do. 

The problem with comparing ourselves to Raleigh is that Raleigh is a big driver for pretty much anyone in North Carolina that isn't flying on American (Charlotte)... combining the Raleigh and Durham metros = 2,000,000 people, while the Richmond metro is about 1.1 million.

With us, we are "competing" with the NOVA airports, along with Norfolk. So with Raleigh, it's more than just their metro population that is going to RDU, it's a good chunk of North Carolina that uses RDU. While with Richmond, it is primarily Central VA, with us also getting the mountains of VA as well, and some from NOVA and Norfolk. Basically, airport traffic in Virginia is  divided into 4 main airports, while in North Carolina, it's divided into 2 main airports.  We are really fortunate to see the growth we are seeing considering the other airports nearby (DCA, IAD, & ORF). As long as we can keep ticket prices down here, we are a very attractive airport for people.

Edited by Niccckk

1 hour ago, Niccckk said:

Basically, airport traffic in Virginia is  divided into 4 main airports, while in North Carolina, it's divided into 2 main airports.

This - more than just the differences in market sizes - I think is the biggest stumbling block for RIC. One small bit of good news is that we appear to be winning the competition in a manner of speaking when you take out the NOVA airports. Not sure how far back this is the case, but I do believe that since 2019 (and certainly for 2021 & 2022 - and in all likelihood 2023 YTD), RIC is the Commonwealth's busiest airports outside of NOVA. So if you cordon off both IAD and DCA as "D.C-specific" airports -- then from a rest of the state standpoint, RIC is coming out on top.

We'll likely always be behind the eight-ball market-size-wise - because CSA vs MSA population totals are not an apples-to-apples comparison. RVA is in the unfortunate situation of being a "stand-alone" metro - without adjacent/nearby "sister cities" of some comparable size to boost population totals into a consolidated metro area bucket. A Richmond-______________ (fill in the blank) CSA simply doesn't exist.

• Like 1

The problem with comparing ourselves to Raleigh is that Raleigh is a big driver for pretty much anyone in North Carolina that isn't flying on American (Charlotte)... combining the Raleigh and Durham metros = 2,000,000 people, while the Richmond metro is about 1.1 million.

With us, we are "competing" with the NOVA airports, along with Norfolk. So with Raleigh, it's more than just their metro population that is going to RDU, it's a good chunk of North Carolina that uses RDU. While with Richmond, it is primarily Central VA, with us also getting the mountains of VA as well, and some from NOVA and Norfolk. Basically, airport traffic in Virginia is  divided into 4 main airports, while in North Carolina, it's divided into 2 main airports.  We are really fortunate to see the growth we are seeing considering the other airports nearby (DCA, IAD, & ORF). As long as we can keep ticket prices down here, we are a very attractive airport for people.

In a recent article I read where Troy Bell was interviewed, he said that the RIC catch area contained 2 million people…but I’m sure that includes some overlap areas where people could go to either RIC or ORF…or RIC or one of the DC airports. The main reason why I compare the two airports is because of goals…you know, something for RIC to shoot for.  There are many things RDU is doing or have done that I’d like for RIC to do to improve the passenger experience and thus, increase ridership demand, thereby driving expansion at RIC. 

6 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

A Richmond-______________ (fill in the blank) CSA simply doesn't exist.

Petersburg!  :rofl:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

In a recent article I read where Troy Bell was interviewed, he said that the RIC catch area contained 2 million people…but I’m sure that includes some overlap areas where people could go to either RIC or ORF…or RIC or one of the DC airports. The main reason why I compare the two airports is because of goals…you know, something for RIC to shoot for.  There are many things RDU is doing or have done that I’d like for RIC to do to improve the passenger experience and thus, increase ridership demand, thereby driving expansion at RIC. 

Petersburg!  :rofl:

Yep - I recall that Troy Bell mentioned a catch area for RIC of about 2 million people. Mind you - I would hazard to guess that the RDU catch area is significantly larger - probably topping 3 million (or more if you consider that they have an ALMOST "exclusive" market-capture for about half the state of North Carolina.

While I agree that RIC would do well to emulate or aim for some of the goals that RDU has already achieved, it's a tough nut to crack - and even now, RDU is so far ahead that I think it's already an apples-to-oranges comparison. Hard to compare an airport that's aiming for 4.5 million passengers as an all-time, single-year record to an airport that's staring down the barrel of 14.5 million - to - 15 million passengers in terms of one-year volume -- which is slightly more than three times the amount of traffic. Now, again, @Niccckkhit the nail on the head - traffic in NC is basically split between CLT and RDU - where as in the Commonwealth, dividing it four ways leaves far fewer passengers AVAILABLE to fly into/out of RIC. Our growth is a tougher nut to crack, simply because RIC has much stiffer competition whereas RDU has basically - NONE.

Also consider: if ORF didn't exist - and RIC got ALL of the traffic from central/southeast Virginia- given RIC's and ORF's totals from last year (about 4.2 million and 3.9 million respectively) - combined the two airports totaled about 8.1 million passengers combined - which is STILL just over half of RDU's haul of about 14-plus million passengers. No question, NOVA hurts us - but I can't fathom that CLT doesn't also hurt RDU as well from a total volume standpoint.

Petersburg: IKR! Thing is, Petersburg is factored into the RVA MSA already. We don't have a "Durham" like Raleigh has - or a "Forth Worth" like Dallas has. RVA metro is basically sitting alone on an island.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Thing is, Petersburg is factored into the RVA MSA already. We don't have a "Durham" like Raleigh has - or a "Forth Worth" like Dallas has. RVA metro is basically sitting alone on an island.

Petersburg is just factored in and not named because it isn't large enough.

The distance between Raleigh and Durham is a 25m drive. The distance between Richmond and Petersburg is a 23m drive.

What really drives the Raleigh-Durham dualism is Duke & UNC. 

I think that if RVA grows enough Petersburg has a chance of becoming a good smaller sister city in its own right.

While I was putting into Maps the destinations, I decided to check the distance from Petersburg to RIC vs PHF (Williamsburg) and it looks like you have to drive right by RIC on your way to PHF.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

Petersburg is just factored in and not named because it isn't large enough.

The distance between Raleigh and Durham is a 25m drive. The distance between Richmond and Petersburg is a 23m drive.

What really drives the Raleigh-Durham dualism is Duke & UNC. 

I think that if RVA grows enough Petersburg has a chance of becoming a good smaller sister city in its own right.

While I was putting into Maps the destinations, I decided to check the distance from Petersburg to RIC vs PHF (Williamsburg) and it looks like you have to drive right by RIC on your way to PHF.

image.jpeg.4f788bef4077dc51e32153b464319db0.jpeg!!

Throw N.C. State into the mix in RDU (metro - not airport). 

I'd love to see Petersburg grow into something of a city of, say, 100,000 or more. Doubt I'll ever see it in my lifetime- but man, I'd love to see it. Their economic situation has been SO schvach for SO long now - she reached a population of just over 41K in 1980 and unfortunately saw a big economic and population decline from that point forward. The 2020 census shows that the city grew by 3.2% above 2010 figures - so a definite move in the right direction!

Screenshot_20230615-221941.thumb.png.0f9882ed2c724fe80ccab5750fd446cc.png

Would love to see Alaska pop in with Seattle! I'm pretty sure Seattle is one of the largest unserved cities from RIC (according to PDEW)

WOW - this would be HUGE! Our first "western" airline (well, I guess Southwest qualifies - but you know what I mean!) -- and to grab Seattle AND Alaska Airlines would be a double WIN --PLUS -- it would push the roster of carriers serving RIC into double digits at 10.

Okay - starting up the prayer machine that this comes to pass.

Any clue how long it might take before there might be further movement on this? I'd like to hope that with Alaska Airlines filing a letter of support that this has a really good chance of coming to pass and hopefully sooner rather than later.

(I'm starting a new mantra for RIC - and it's based on the potential Concourse A & B expansions that could happen over the span of the next 10 or so years if we can keep passenger volume growing robustly - if you remember the old ECHL days of the Richmond Renegades - the Hampton Roads Admirals fans came to Richmond in droves - and during games they'd chant "64 EAST" -- so using that "example" I've come up with this new mantra for RIC expansion "44 GATES!!!") 

News like this - of Alaska Airlines possibly coming to RIC and bringing direct service to/from Seattle - potentially helps fuel the growth that gets us ever closer to seeing the expansion that will get us to 44 gates.

Gotta make this happen, fellas!!!

44 GATES!!!

Edited by I miss RVA

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

WOW - this would be HUGE! Our first "western" airline (well, I guess Southwest qualifies - but you know what I mean!) -- and to grab Seattle AND Alaska Airlines would be a double WIN --PLUS -- it would push the roster of carriers serving RIC into double digits at 10.

Okay - starting up the prayer machine that this comes to pass.

Any clue how long it might take before there might be further movement on this? I'd like to hope that with Alaska Airlines filing a letter of support that this has a really good chance of coming to pass and hopefully sooner rather than later.

(I'm starting a new mantra for RIC - and it's based on the potential Concourse A & B expansions that could happen over the span of the next 10 or so years if we can keep passenger volume growing robustly - if you remember the old ECHL days of the Richmond Renegades - the Hampton Roads Admirals fans came to Richmond in droves - and during games they'd chant "64 EAST" -- so using that "example" I've come up with this new mantra for RIC expansion "44 GATES!!!") 

News like this - of Alaska Airlines possibly coming to RIC and bringing direct service to/from Seattle - potentially helps fuel the growth that gets us ever closer to seeing the expansion that will get us to 44 gates.

Gotta make this happen, fellas!!!

44 GATES!!!

I think whether RIC gets Alaska Airlines will largely depend on the airport’s ability to secure some grants to entice Alaska Airlines to fly out of RIC (not sure of the timeline).

It can be risky for airlines to start new service in a non-major market.  So many (if not most of the time) smaller airports will pay an airline to fly out of their airport, offering a financial incentive or “padding” if the route(s) the airline serves is not profitable. The hope is that the service becomes profitable so that when the grant money is all spent, the airline doesn’t pull out too, but rather stays and possibly expands service.  I think United Airlines first started serving DEN from RIC due to a grant, but I’m not 100% sure. I seem to remember reading about it at the time though. 

• Thanks 1

3Q 2022 PDEW statistics for RIC compared to ORF (passengers traveling to and from SEA):

EA-CLT - 224
SEA-ORF/PHF - 110
SEA-JAX - 93
SEA-BDL - 74
SEA-BUF - 70
SEA-GRR - 69
SEA-MEM - 68
SEA-RIC - 67
SEA-TUL - 59
SEA-SDF - 58

Some are saying that ORF-SEA is the better fit for this route…but let those in the HR area come to RIC to catch that flight! ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Merrittk92 said:

So, ORF’s May numbers are in at 406K. Outstanding job ORF! I’ll wager that RIC’s May numbers crack 410K! Anyone else care to guess? 

Good numbers at Norfolk. 410k in Richmond would be about 10% year over year growth. Richmond is up 21% year to date and was up 12% last month, so 410k might be achievable.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Good numbers at Norfolk. 410k in Richmond would be about 10% year over year growth. Richmond is up 21% year to date and was up 12% last month, so 410k might be achievable.

Not saying it's guaranteed, but I would not be surprised if we actually check in a bit north of 410K, particularly given that RIC's 21% ytd increase (and 12% uptick in April) has all happened WITHOUT the additional service/new destinations that came online in May. ORF also had new service in May if memory serves, so seeing them top 400K isn't a surprise. I like our chances of exceeding 410K. 👍

• Like 1

An awesome article published by the RTD on Richmond International Airport and how it is in “growth mode” right now. International flights are just around the corner…and then there’s this quote from Perry Miller, the airport’s CEO:

“Miller anticipates the first international flights will go to popular vacation destinations such as the Caribbean, with Europe to follow closely.”

Uh…I’m almost speechless!  Let’s hope this comes to fruition!

This is a great read.  I know it’s behind the paywall, but hopefully, you have a free article to read (if you don’t have a subscription):

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/richmond-international-airport-covid-19/article_f18a1ae2-0b9a-11ee-a174-8b704cf17fb1.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Richmond_Times-Dispatch&fbclid=IwAR1THzXZq7Poo1hPlHLjHoxOVRjIYAIhBm85JjgfVuxQid-UuN1zDPfW7i8_aem_th_AU_YM_T-rrZoOn2UIxhpYASdM55FeAmEWh0tzgcbac6NtWjJl8bwm8dJVo1nFKLIIcc&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1