Richmond International Airport

eandslee

An article last week already touched on it, but RIC saw July passenger traffic jump 10.7% over last July from 272,899 to 302,098.

For the year through July, RIC has seen Passenger traffic jump 14.62% to 1,866,352, Freight traffic jump 2.56% to 53,645,793 pounds, Mail traffic jump 9.27% to 11,606,394 pounds, and Cargo traffic jump 3.69% to 65,252,137 pounds.

Just as comparison, passenger stats for July 06 for Richmond, Norfolk, and NN-Williamsburg:

---------------total-----% Change

Richmond: 302,098 +10.7%

NN-Wburg: 113,890 +5.4%

Norfolk: 361,635 -6.96%

Does anyone know why Norfolk seen a more than 5% decrease in passenger for the year?

I don't know but we had a huge expansion about 3-4 years ago. I worked on it and we couldn't finish it fast enough. Alot RIA influx is probably people from here driving up there flying jetblue

Also how many passengers are you guys handling compared to us? Another key point is the addition to NNWI and its low fare flights as well. We have 2 airports not just one so that could be a big reason.

From my understanding, roadway improvements should be occuring soon. A series of fly-overs will be built between the parking garage exits and the main roadway leading into RIC.

Yes, Shak. And not only that, work on a connector from the terminal area to an interchange with 895 (Pocahontas Parkway) may start sooner than some think.

If I were to make similar comments about Norfolk on your thread, as I did about Jet Blue, you would uninvite me. But, Russ you are welcome here anytime and since you once lived here, you could offer constructive comments. Come and stay awhile. :)

The only reason that I even brought up Norfolk in here was because coupe asked a question. I believe that Norfolk talk doesn't belong in the Richmond thread either. I wouldn't have mentioned it if coupe didn't ask! :thumbsup:

I've got just what you are looking for:

http://www.pocahontasparkway.com/airport.html

Where did you find that Eric? It's terrific. Note how much closer this connection will be to the airport than having to exit at Laburnum if you're coming from the bridge. An Australian company has or is buying it and promised to speed up work on the connection.

It looks, Eric, as if there would be space to add a thousand feet or so to the longest runway in the southeast quardrant, don't you think? But I don't see much hope for extending the shorter one (#20).

Edited by burt

Where did you find that Eric? It's terrific. Note how much closer this connection will be to the airport than having to exit at Laburnum if you're coming from the bridge. An Australian company has or is buying it and promised to speed up work on the connection.

It looks, Eric, as if there would be space to add a thousand feet or so to the longest runway in the southeast quardrant, don't you think? But I don't see much hope for extending the shorter one (#20).

I got it from the Pocahontas Parkway web page. I think you're right on which runway to extend. The longer one seems like it would be less work, but somehow or another they were trying to get the shorter one extended. Perhaps they had a consultant come in and tell them that it wasn't feasible and then abandoned the idea all together. Maybe that is why we haven't heard anything about it in a number of years. mmmm....

Delta adding seating capacity with 757's to Atlanta

Delta is aggressively trying to push AirTran out of the Richmond market, but AirTran says it is pleased with its reception in Richmond.

The 757's will be the largest planes flying out of RIC

Delta Air Lines, which recently grabbed the largest share of local air travel, is preparing to stake another claim.

On Nov. 1, Delta will introduce a Boeing 757 jet at Richmond International Airport for regular service to and from its home base of Atlanta.

"This would be the largest scheduled aircraft flying into Richmond on a regular basis," said George Hoffer, a Virginia Commonwealth University economics professor.

Delta spokeswoman Gina Laughlin said the Boeing 757 would be used for the most popular morning flight at 7:40 a.m. and also for a high-demand return flight back from Atlanta at 6:55 p.m.....

Delta has 10 flights daily to Atlanta, compared to AirTran's five flights.

Delta adding seating capacity with 757's to Atlanta

Delta is aggressively trying to push AirTran out of the Richmond market, but AirTran says it is pleased with its reception in Richmond.

The 757's will be the largest planes flying out of RIC

KEWL!!! Friday, September 29, 2006 will be my first flight out of RIC. Before I use to fly from BWI.

A friend in my building, also an ex Richmonder (there are several of us) flies often via Jet Blue to RIC and he says the planes are always full.

I like Troy Bell's idea of Delta's new 757's expanding service to Las Vegas, though it hasn't been discussed by Delta. I just hope they don't drive Air Tran out of the market.

The use of the Boeing 757 is nothing more than an indication that the airport is doing very well. I welcome the new aircraft and hope that passenger counts increase to the point where other airlines seriving Richmond will have to fly in larger jets to accommodate the demand in Richmond. I too, do not want Air Tran to leave. Richmonders still must be careful to support those discount airlines so that we can keep prices down in Richmond. I am actually surprised that US Airways hasn't provided Richmond with a western destination yet. Once we get some western destinations I think Richmond will start to become a "blip" on the airline and airport radar screen - good news for drawing more business to RIC and maybe even more terminal expansion, etc. I hope the trend of growth at RIC continues to grow. Go Richmond International!

My mother's coming back from Atlanta on Sept 29. She didn't particularly like Airtran... and I can't believe I've been without my mommy for a month! And she said she hasn't taken any pictures of Atlanta!!!

I do have a question though... our airport is not in danger of being stuck, that is there is more than enough room to grow? I know Portugee and Charles City Rds and the tracks are to the south and there's a road to the east. Think we could get a second airport someday?

Edited by Cadeho

My mother's coming back from Atlanta on Sept 29. She didn't particularly like Airtran... and I can't believe I've been without my mommy for a month! And she said she hasn't taken any pictures of Atlanta!!!

I do have a question though... our airport is not in danger of being stuck, that is there is more than enough room to grow? I know Portugee and Charles City Rds and the tracks are to the south and there's a road to the east. Think we could get a second airport someday?

There is room to grow; all along Airport Rd.

As a matter of fact, back in the days, RIC was in the run for a US Airways Hub. We lost out to Charlotte, NC.

We lose alot to Charlotte I was thinking about this the other day when Bank of America formerly Nations bank moved out of Richmond to their new Corporate Center in Charlotte I thought just think we could of had that 65 floor Bank of America Corporate Center and that would of been nice I guess we had alot of other banks in the late 80's early 90's just think we could of been the 2nd biggest banking city in the US instead of Charlotte.

1st & Merchants at s/w corner of 9th and Main became Sovran, then Nations and is now gobbled up by Bank of America. State Planters at n/e corner of 9th and Main I'm pretty sure is now part of Sun Trust. Morris Plan at n/e corner of 8th and Main became Bank of Virginia, then Signet. But I believe it was disolved and the remains became Capital One. Central Fidelity was known as Central National Bank when it was in Jemal's tower between 2nd and 3rd on Broad and I thought First Union and then Wachovia ate it up.

But you know the old refrain, don't take my word for it because sometimes I... :)