Richmond International Airport

eandslee

From Chip at the Times-Dispatch

Airport Traffic Rises again in August

Richmond International Airport had its 15th consecutive month of record traffic in August, sparked by service from JetBlue Airways to New York and Boston.

The airport had a 9.7 percent increase over the same month last year, with total passenger traffic of 295,606.

The article notes that AirTran had a significant year over year drop in passengers, but it was largely attributed to flying more routes last year. Airport officials believe that Airtran's traffic has stabilized and that they are starting to see some growth. It seems that one issue is the aggressiveness at which Delta is defending its Atlanta turf against AirTran.

Airport to add 'Cell Phone' lots

Another side effect of the growth RIC is experiencing. The lots will be free of charge...

Relief is coming for motorists waiting for planes to arrive at Richmond International Airport.

The regional airport commission approved a plan to build a 40-space "cell-phone lot," designed for motorists waiting to hear from arriving travelers, near the terminal's parking entrance by April. The group also gave the green light to pave another lot at a temporary site near Charles City Road on the southern edge of the airport.

The main lot will cost about $250,000 for paving and site improvements, while the temporary cell-phone lot will have a $110,000 price tag. Some federal highway money could help defray the cost of the permanent lot.

The commission also is spending $250,000 to widen the terminal roadway for limousines and tour buses, which sometimes don't have enough room at the fast-growing airport, officials said....

Relative to the above story, I thought it was interesting to note that the new Cell phone lot at Charles City Road will be temporary and will be moved within 3 years BECAUSE OF OTHER ROAD PROJECTS. That must mean that the Pocahontas Pkwy Connector will be getting underway.

Speaking of the airport connector road, I came across this page from VDOT's web site (I believe this to be the lastest news). There still is no start date for the project:

Airport Connector

From Chip at the Times-Dispatch

Airport Traffic Rises again in August

The article notes that AirTran had a significant year over year drop in passengers, but it was largely attributed to flying more routes last year. Airport officials believe that Airtran's traffic has stabilized and that they are starting to see some growth. It seems that one issue is the aggressiveness at which Delta is defending its Atlanta turf against AirTran.

Delta and Airtran aren't on the best speaking terms right now. LOL!! Airtran backed out of a contract to carry Delta passengers (it may be the other way around with Delta backing out, i'm not quite sure). Kind of like a code-share deal, but not identical with it. It's actually kinda comical right now those two.

An interesting article for the Richmond crowd. :D

Into the JetBlue yonder

On board with the airline's people-first philosophy

From the RTD

"One example of something stellar, Davidson said, was the staff's recent performance getting more passengers to use the check-in kiosk -- a key accomplishment at the increasingly cost-conscious airline."

"We beat Rochester!" she declared." :thumbsup:

From the articles mentioned above, it still appears as though JetBlue is only getting their flights half full. I really hope that changes soon. We really need support this airline in our market! Looks like some business leaders got an "ear full" for not supporting JetBlue since landing in Richmond. I just hope it was effective.

• 4 weeks later...

Double-digit growth continues at RIC

:yahoo:

For September, passenger counts are up 10.86% over a year ago to 268,192.

For the year to date, passenger traffic is up 13.58% over 2005 to 2,430,150.

Freight, mail, and total cargo traffic are all also up for the month and the year.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Coupe! You're always on top of newly released information! Thanks again!

Changes at the Airport Beginning Today

Passengers at Richmond International Airport may notice some changes today and over the weekend with moves into the new $46.8 million terminal.

Airlines are moving their ticket counters to the revamped second floor facilities in the new terminal, a move accompanied by the opening of an upper level roadway for departing passengers.....

16th Consecutive record month for RIC; AirTran sees return on investment

Good article worth reading....

"There seems to be an indication that AirTran's situation is improving," Beverley "Booty" Armstrong, chairman of the Capital Region Airport Commission, said at the group's monthly meeting.

The news came as the airport reported a nearly 11 percent increase in total passengers in September, the 16th consecutive record month. Nationally, boardings decreased by nearly 2 percent in September....

In September, AirTran consistently filled more than 60 percent of its seats, nearly matching its systemwide average of 62 percent, Mathiasen said....

JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said the New York-based carrier considers Richmond one of its 2006 success stories.

"Of our new cities, Richmond and Raleigh-Durham [N.C.] are very, very successful," Dervin said.

Within four months of its startup in late March, she said, Richmond travelers were filling more than seven out of 10 seats on JetBlue's planes to New York, and nearly that much to Boston.

"Anything at 70 percent and above, we're doing cartwheels," she said.

Hopefully, this article will lower your fears a little Eric...

Also, other carriers reported surges in passenger traffic in September including US Airways (12.4%) and Continental (32.8%

Also, a press release from the airport about the opening of the upper level of the new terminal:

http://flyrichmond.com/Download_Files/News...0RIC_MoveUp.pdf

Edited by wrldcoupe4

This article came as a great relief! I'm so glad that that things are changing...not only are they looking positive for our 2 discount air carriers, but also for our legacy carriers. This is good news no matter the angle! My confidence in our airport has been boosted. Nice job Richmond!! Sweet! Now, let's keep it up!

This article came as a great relief! I'm so glad that that things are changing...not only are they looking positive for our 2 discount air carriers, but also for our legacy carriers. This is good news no matter the angle! My confidence in our airport has been boosted. Nice job Richmond!! Sweet! Now, let's keep it up!

Eric: See my comments on the new terminal under Richmond Off-Topic.

Eric, weren't you at least a little pleased by my report on RIC terminal posted under Ricmond off-topic thread? I wrote it especially with you in mind.

Absolutely! Sorry, it has taken me so long to respond. Sometimes I have enough time to just read the posts and then when I have more time I'm able to return and post responses. Truth is, I forgot about your post, so I'm sorry. Anyway, it was so good to hear that the new terminal building is really looking good. Too bad you couldn't get a photo. I'd love to see what it looks like on the inside. It's also promising to hear that the flights you were on were either full or almost full. I'm no longer worried about our two discount airlines in Richmond. I think they will do just fine. Recent reports show that AirTran is doing very well in Richmond too - this is very good news! I hope you had a great stay in Richmond. I know that you were able to meet up with some of the guys...I'm so jealous. Despite the encounters you had with a couple of our UP posters, there was never a photo taken of you! It'd just be nice to see who I'm talking to all the time :D . Thanks so much for the report Burt! One day I'll fly back to Richmond and get to see the new and improved airport first hand! I think that our little airport has "graduated" in a sense that it sounds as if it is beginning to look very much like a much a major airport. Now all we need is an airline to choose Richmond for their hub and invest millions of more dollars for more expansion! That would just be sweet! :thumbsup: