Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Eric, I hope you had an extra set of underwear handy while viewing ibjust's pics. :lol:

Oh yes, I did! :D The size of the new terminal just appears to boost RIC from low-class to high-class! Very nice and roomy...and provides a lot of light as opposed to the dark basement-like ticket area that used to exist down stairs. What a huge improvement. Thanks for posting the photos! If you have any more let us know!

Apologies for not having a picture of the right wing, I just took these with my camera phone and thought I had one of the left, center, and right. It looks like I have two pictures of the left wing instead, with one being a bit closer look than the other, which was broadened to include a view of the escalators.

If you mentally flip the second picture above you have a picture of the right wing of the new terminal, except that the only ticket counter was Jet Blue I think. Definitely lots of room for expansion.

If you're worried about the lack of passengers, keep in mind that this was taken at 8:50 a.m. Sunday morning.

Edited by jbjust

First Impressions of the new Terminal

I can't wait to see it in person sometime:

"It's looks like a real airport," said Wingfield, president of the Greater Richmond Partnership, the region's main corporate recruiter. "You come in from the parking deck and walk across the street, and you're in this bright, new terminal."

After arriving in Las Vegas, he had another realization, he said recently in a phone interview. "I think we have the airport now that really fits our stature as a corporate headquarters and a thriving business community."

"Our airport has been behind the curve" for years, said Beverley "Booty" Armstrong, chairman of the Capital Region Airport Commission. "It's been a negative to economic development."

Lately, news from the airport has swung to the positive. In September, Richmond International recorded its 16th consecutive month of record growth.

"This is the first time we can stick our chest out," Armstrong said.

I wonder if Wingfield's comments and his obvious involvement in WVA's dcision will put him in good grace with His Honor.

Speaking of whom, Wilder's latest newsletter and bully pulpit attacks City Council again. But he did verify that VAPAF's hole is being refilled. I was afraid the city would withhold permits as they did when some work was about to begin in the Carpenter Center a year or so ago.

Re: CC, the Mayor's committee is supposed to release its report in December. I sure hope it won't be delayed again by suggestions of doing the work piecemeal. As a contributor, I got a letter from Ukrop asking for a donation toward retrofitting the old Thalhimer building (southeast quardrant). And I would send more if I could be assured that work will go forward.

As far as I can tell, it only criticizes City Council once, regarding workforce housing.

In THIS one, yes. But haven't you noticed that he goes after them in practically every newsletter? Perhaps the council ought to have its own means of responding rather than just through news stories. Not that I don't agree workforce housing is an important issue. And if I recall Council is in agreement. I believe they deferred the matter pending more details.

In THIS one, yes. But haven't you noticed that he goes after them in practically every newsletter? Perhaps the council ought to have its own means of responding rather than just through news stories. Not that I don't agree workforce housing is an important issue. And if I recall Council is in agreement. I believe they deferred the matter pending more details.

Wilder is steaming because he does not have full control over city matters. He wants to call all the shots. I wonder if Wilder has ever heard of checks and balances.

Holy #%$&!

That's awesome!

There's a nice sort of wing-like swoop to the roofline looking at it dead on. That's the 2nd-level departure roadway directly in front, so we're not looking at the ground level arrivals here.

It has come a long way from the quonset hut that was the terminal back in the 1940's and Eastern Air Lines was the only carrier flying in and out.

Eastern charged $10 for a ticket to National Airport in those post-war days.

Edited by burt

Beautiful terminal building! I love it.

How's that Delta 757 flight working out? It should be happening shouldn't it???

When I was at the terminal Nov. 1st preparing to depart on the 2:30PM Jet Blue for JFK, I was in Applebee's overlooking the tarmac when the Delta 757 taxied to a jetway. I don't have any ridership figures to report, but apparently Air Tran is running pretty full on its ATL flights despite Delta's addition of the 757.

Did you look at the interior pics of the terminal on the previous page, Lexy?