Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Word of mouth is that the fly overs should start soon.

I'm lost...I don't know anything about these flyovers you all are talking about and I'm the airport guru! Does someone have a map of what this is all about? If this isn't about the airport connector road, then what is it about?

I'm lost...I don't know anything about these flyovers you all are talking about and I'm the airport guru! Does someone have a map of what this is all about? If this isn't about the airport connector road, then what is it about?

I think from Airport Drive, there are supposed to be fly overs going to the parking garages. Im pretty sure thats it.....if someone's heard something else, please correct me on that.

I come from Charlottesville and recently have discovered RIC. I think it's a great airport. New, clean, modern, short lines, relaxing, and only 1 hour away. I often find fares very comparable to flying out of Dulles, so it's quite a deal. Charlottesville's airport is great, but it is just TOO expensive. I'm getting a flight out of Richmond to Boston this weekend for $139 while from Cville it was ~$400!!!! I'm glad it's doing so well with JetBlue increasing service and all that.

I come from Charlottesville and recently have discovered RIC. I think it's a great airport. New, clean, modern, short lines, relaxing, and only 1 hour away. I often find fares very comparable to flying out of Dulles, so it's quite a deal. Charlottesville's airport is great, but it is just TOO expensive. I'm getting a flight out of Richmond to Boston this weekend for $139 while from Cville it was ~$400!!!! I'm glad it's doing so well with JetBlue increasing service and all that.

Thanks for your input about RIC lexicon506. I used to live in Charlottesville too when I attended UVA and remember vividly how expensive it was to fly out of CHO. I'm glad that you have discovered RIC! It is a great airport. Please, tell your friends about RIC too!

I think from Airport Drive, there are supposed to be fly overs going to the parking garages. Im pretty sure thats it.....if someone's heard something else, please correct me on that.

That is correct. There will also be a flyover for Airport Road over the roadway into the Terminal complex.

Construction was suppose to start this past summer since funding was already available.

When I was at the terminal Nov. 1st preparing to depart on the 2:30PM Jet Blue for JFK, I was in Applebee's overlooking the tarmac when the Delta 757 taxied to a jetway. I don't have any ridership figures to report, but apparently Air Tran is running pretty full on its ATL flights despite Delta's addition of the 757.

Did you look at the interior pics of the terminal on the previous page, Lexy?

Actually I did. This is really a nice terminal building. Quite warm and inviting I must say.

A friend just flew into NYC today on Jet Blue from Ric, and she said the plane was only about half-filled. But it was 5 minutes early arriving at JFK. She left Ric at about 10:30am.

that's not necessarily a bad thing b/c once we're @ 60% capacity, we're at the industry average...I would also imagine a 10:30 flight out of Richmond isn't exactly peak time for business travellers, and they're most of what goes to NYC anyhow.

that's not necessarily a bad thing b/c once we're @ 60% capacity, we're at the industry average...I would also imagine a 10:30 flight out of Richmond isn't exactly peak time for business travellers, and they're most of what goes to NYC anyhow.

You're right, Jason. I didn't mean to throw a wet blanket on the rosy picture developing at RIC. When I left at 2:30pm on 11/1, the flight was almost full, and my inbound trip from JFK to RIC on 09/30 was wait-listed. That's damned good for a Saturday.

I didn't like today's story in the TD about the liklihood of USAir absorbing Delta, the two leading carriers at RIC. Such a merger would not bode well for Richmond.

I read that the potential merger between US Airways and Delta could be a good thing for RIC because it will likely leave more gates available for expansion for Air Tran and JetBlue. However, the potential merger could also be bad news for RIC. The experts say that it is hard to predict how it will affect RIC, but one thing is for sure: if this deal goes down, it will shift airline operations around all over the country. I'm hoping that in all of the shifting, an airline will come along and see Richmond as a great venue and excellent location for a hub (a perfect alternative to a Washington DC hub - maybe a long shot right now, but with folks moving south and the DC metro area expanding southward, this won't be such a long shot in the near future. Just think how much of a boost this would be for the Richmond and Central Virginia area! WOW! Now all we need is a willing airline).

I read last week in USA Today that "IF" USAirways and Delta were to merge, about 25 cities (RIC included) would see a reduction in service.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/200...rger-usat_x.htm

Hope this will not be the case!

yes, and I believe this scenario is much more likely. less service = higher prices = bad for Richmond. I'm not one to be negative, but I don't see 'more gates' for airtran/jet blue as an advantage for us--it's an advantage for other airlines at major airports like LaGuardia/JFK/LAX/etc...

If Delta/USAirways are forced to give up a substantial number of slots at LaGuardia to JetBlue and AirTran, that could be a huge gain for Richmond. As it stands, business travelers simply aren't going to fly to JFK if they have business in NY.

Yes. When they speak of "opening up gates", they're talking about capacity situations in the big markets. As jbjust says the merger could provide space at Newark Liberty, NY Laguardia and Orlando for inbound Richmond flights.

Whatever happened to our hopes for Vegas and west coast flights from the combined USAir and the airline with which they merged recently?

I have been telling people all along that Southwest will eventually land at RIC. I would like to see Frontier come to RIC.

I agree that Southwest will "SOMEDAY" serve RIC.

As it stands right now, Southwest is looking to expand into larger markets where higher fares prevail. A couple of cities on their radar is Cincinnatti and Charlotte. Charlotte, though a hub for USAirways, has one of the highest airfares in the country. I have also read that SW is looking to add and expand in the Central part of the United States. With the recent expansion into Dulles, I highly doubt that Southwest will come to Richmond anytime soon. Proximity and Population are BIG determining factors when Southwest considers servicing new cities...... IMO, Richmond's proximity to Dulles, BWI, Norfolk and Raleigh will further hamper Southwest from flying into Richmond anytime soon.

Though Southwest state that they have Richmond on their radar, its basically a "cut & paste" slogan since MANY US Cities are courting Southwest. The same statement has been said and printed in many articles in many different cities. We should know that by now................. Southwest Airlines likes to TEASE !!!

Edited by MicoMiles