Richmond International Airport

eandslee

According to a PilotOnline story from Hampton Roads, these are passenger load increases/decreases at three Virginia airports for 2006:

Norfolk is down 4.7% to 3.7 million from last year's 3.88 million.

Newport News/Wmsbg is down 0.5% (no figures quoted.)

Richmond is up 13.5% (no figures quoted.)

Service cutbacks are part of the blame, says the airport manager at ORF where daily departures have declined to 92 from last year's 110. USAirways carries 22.75% of passengers; Southwest, 21.75% and Delta is third with 19.6%.

Ridership Up 13.5% in 2006 for Richmond International Airport

Congrats on such a successful year!

Some worthy excerpts:

After years of losing passengers to other cities, Richmond's total passenger count rose 13.5 percent to 3,294,045 last year......

If Richmond's airport keeps booming,"We just may get the number of flights from JetBlue and AirTran increased," said Beverley W. "Booty" Armstrong, chairman of the Capital Region Airport Com- mission.

At yesterday's commission meeting, Armstrong and others hinted that more cities could be added for direct flights.

Jon Mathiasen, the airport's president and chief executive officer, said AirTran and JetBlue are considering expanding their direct service to one of Richmond's major destinations. He declined to name it or provide more details.

The airport commission expects single digit growth in 2007, as numbers flatten out after the initial boost from AirTran and JetBlue.

It is a good day for Richmond International as their new figures come out for 2006. Almost 3.3 million passengers served last year is a super stride toward becoming the best in the Virginia (well...not exactly close to being the best because Dullus and even Norfolk served more passengers, but it's a step in the right direction :D ). I like the fact that more cities will possibly be reached directly from Richmond in the near future. Hopefully, this will include cities in the west like Las Vegas, Pheonix, Salt Lake City, even Los Angeles would be nice. We'll have to wait and see though. The article above also has a cool video attached that provide a cool tour of the new airport. I'm quite impressed and makes for a 180 degree change from what was there before. Now if we can get even more passengers flying in and out of Richmond, we'll get more direct flights, possibly more airlines, another expansion with more gates, could a new parallel runway be in the works if Richmond International continues to grow? Even though the growth will not be as dramatic this year, if we can gain growth in the upper single digits (as far as percentage), then I think we'd be doing very well. The possible merger between US Airways and Delta could serve as a huge blow to RIC IF it goes through. As of right now there's nothing to worry about, but it is something to watch.

**Adding an International flight would be nice too**

Edited by eandslee

Who wants to guess what Mathiason's comment means? -- "Air Tran and Jet Blue are considering expanding their direct service to one of Roichmond's major destinations."

I suppose it means additional flights to Atlanta and (or) New York.

Or maybe Orlando? Or Chicago? What are other major destinations for Richmonders?

• 3 weeks later...

Ridership continues to Soar at RIC

According to this short snippet from the TD, passenger traffic at RIC increased by 14% in January as compared to January 2006. This is on top of an 8.5% increase during January 2006 compared to the same month in 05.

The airport continued its record-setting growth in January, with total passenger traffic increasing 14 percent from the same month last year.

The airport had 242,056 people arriving or departing last month, surpassing the January record of 212,379 set last year.

In other news at RIC, $13.3 million project will correct intersection near toll plaza

The road-building project is expected to start by May and last a year and a half -- with completion possible by late 2008. It will separate traffic traveling north and south on Airport Drive, including the notorious intersection near the airport's parking toll plaza....

Plans call for two overpasses, including one near the toll plaza. One will be for southbound traffic approaching the parking garages and terminal, and the other will carry northbound traffic on Airport Drive over its intersection with Clarkson Road....

The roadwork is viewed as the final piece of ongoing improvements at Richmond International, where a $46.5 million terminal expansion could be completed by late June.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Ridership continues to Soar at RIC

According to this short snippet from the TD, passenger traffic at RIC increased by 14% in January as compared to January 2006. This is on top of an 8.5% increase during January 2006 compared to the same month in 05.

In other news at RIC, $13.3 million project will correct intersection near toll plaza

Wow! The airport didn't only beat last year's record, but it crushed it! Then again, we have to consider that JetBlue was not flying in and out of Richmond in January of last year. The true test will be when we discover the numbers compared to last year after JetBlue arrived. Still, very wonderful news! Thanks for posting G!

I knew there was something in the works to correct the weird interestection on airport road, but I didn't think it was a priority over the airport connector road from the Pocahontas Parkway. I'm still waiting to hear that work will begin on that project. I wonder when it will actually begin? Still, these are all improvements that will help make the airport world class.

The other day I read an article on airportbusiness.com that talked about RIC's advertising efforts in the Richmond market. Apparantly, the airport is in the middle of a huge $500,000 TV, radio, and newspaper marketing campaign, which when we look at the numbers, is working! I hope it continues!

I just booked a flight to Boston in June for an overnight business trip and the total with taxes for a roundtrip direct flight on Jet Blue was $98.20! Not only that, I got to choose exit row seats for both legs. With rates like that, I might be flying to Boston every month just because I can!

Talk about TV advertising! The New York market is being flooded by neat ads about Park City, Salt Lake City International. It boasts that there are eight daily flights from New York that can get one to the Utah ski slopes before noon.

I hope RIC advertising dollars bring aditional traffic.

I wish I could visualize the construction described by Coupe. Are there any schematics or renderings available?

I just booked a flight to Boston in June for an overnight business trip and the total with taxes for a roundtrip direct flight on Jet Blue was $98.20! Not only that, I got to choose exit row seats for both legs. With rates like that, I might be flying to Boston every month just because I can!

Extra leg room in the Embraer aircraft begins at Row 13 and extends to the rear. The exit door (which one must agree to manipulate) is either row 12 or 13. My two experiences on Jet Blue were wonderful, but CommRE, I think you really have to book well in advance to get the bargain fare you obtained. Both times, on rather short notice, I paid $167 JFK/RIC/JFK.

Extra leg room in the Embraer aircraft begins at Row 13 and extends to the rear. The exit door (which one must agree to manipulate) is either row 12 or 13. My two experiences on Jet Blue were wonderful, but CommRE, I think you really have to book well in advance to get the bargain fare you obtained. Both times, on rather short notice, I paid $167 JFK/RIC/JFK.

Yes, I like how Jet Blue gives you detailed info online about the legroom, etc in each row. I snagged row 12. Trust me, if we go down in flames and I am alive, I will agree to manipulate the door!

Here's a story from The Virginian Pilot about a new parallel runway at ORF:

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...909&tref=po

Richmond International really needs to start thinking about this also. I'd really love to see an article about a parallel runway in the works at RIC really soon.

I was actully unaware that 2 757s were flying into Richmond, but then again, I don't live there or visit the airport very often. I did know, however, that JetBlue was flying a A320 into Richmond!...and you're right, it is a very good sign. If our stats continue to rise as they have over the last couple of years then I believe we can expect to see more larger aircraft landing at RIC. A parallel runway would also be a good idea if the stats continue to soar! I just wonder if the folks running the airport are even thinking about it. Hmmmmm.....

Since when did Delta start flying two 757 flights daily out of Richmond?! And I was looking at flightarrivals.com today and saw that JetBlue was using an A320 for at least one of it's flights to JFK instead of the E190. That's definitely a good sign.

Welcome, asace8888. I knew that Delta started flying one 757 RIC/ATL/RIC last fall, but am not aware of a second Delta 757 in and out of the airport. Nor am I aware of Jet Blue using anything other than Embraer190 aircraft at RIC.

Tell us more, please.

Yeah you can see if you go to the Delta website and search for daily flights to Atlanta there is a morning flight that departs around 7:30 and there is also another 757 flight that departs around 3 PM. Check it out for yourself.
Make it easy for me, please asace. What are the web sites for Delta and Jet Blue?