Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Go to http://www.delta.com and on the left side of the page look near the bottom and it will say flight status. Type in RIC in the from box and ATL in the "to" box and you'll see a list of all the daily flights with the aircraft type. JetBlue's official website is jetblue.com however they don't list their aircraft types on the flight list. You can go to www.flightarrivals.com though and see all flights arriving and departing from Richmond within the present 3 hour time frame. If you click on the flight number it most of the time will show the aircraft type. Some of the JetBlue flights are still using E190's but some are using the A320's.

Edited by asace8888

Thanks, asace8888. As you said, Delta flies four 757's in and out of Richmond each day.

I couldn't find out from jetblue.com about what type of equipment it uses on the Richmond runs, but did learn that you can fly to and from JFK for as little as $29 each way on selected dates. Imagine: Roundtrip $58, plus taxes and fees! I think that's even better than the old People's Express which used to fly LGA/ORF back in the 1980's.

Edited by burt

I've taken them up on the offer and I'll be flying up n' back in June!

If you want to save more money, JSI and if you're familiar with New York City, and if you're going to Manhattan -- take the elevated new Air Train from in front of the Jet Blue terminal to Jamaica Station (end of line for Air Train) and transfer to the E subway which will bring you into Manhattan. There're lots of stops in Queens but in Manhattan the first stop is 53rd and Lexington, then 5th Ave, 7th Ave. 50th Street at 8th Ave, Port Authority at 42nd and 8th, and on down the West Side to World Trade Center. (Yep, there's still a station there.) Trip takes about an hour and fifteen minutes from Jet Blue to 42nd and 8th.

Total land transport cost via this route -- $7 for air train and $2 for the E train into the City. About half that if you you were, like me, a senior. :)

But if you use this option, read ALL direction signs CAREFULLY!!

If you want to save more money, JSI and if you're familiar with New York City, and if you're going to Manhattan -- take the elevated new Air Train from in front of the Jet Blue terminal to Jamaica Station (end of line for Air Train) and transfer to the E subway which will bring you into Manhattan. There're lots of stops in Queens but in Manhattan the first stop is 53rd and Lexington, then 5th Ave, 7th Ave. 50th Street at 8th Ave, Port Authority at 42nd and 8th, and on down the West Side to World Trade Center. (Yep, there's still a station there.) Trip takes about an hour and fifteen minutes from Jet Blue to 42nd and 8th.

Total land transport cost via this route -- $7 for air train and $2 for the E train into the City. About half that if you you were, like me, a senior. :)

But if you use this option, read ALL direction signs CAREFULLY!!

Thanks for the advice Burt but hopefully my Mom or brother will pick me up. I'm actually from Westchester County, NY and I still have some family up there. Anyway, that's good information to know and I'll definitely pass it on to people that don't have rides once they get to NYC.

In case anybody has forgotten how Jet Blue and Airtran have improved fairs out of Richmond -- I had a flight from Richmond to Cincinnati yesterday (round trip same day) that cost $1,400 with 7-day advance purchase. Cincinnati is a minor Delta hub and everyone I spoke with in Cincinnati complained about how Delta's dominance of that airport has caused fares to stay extremely high.

A story by Chip Jones in today's TD says that RIC did not suffer significant delays during USAirway's installation of revised kiosk ticketing in conjunction with former AmericaWest. Apparently, there were long delays at Charlotte and other airports during the procedure, but Richmond had minimum delays.

I thought it was odd last night when I went on line to purchase a roundtrip on JetBlue for late March and early April. The web site listed only two flights in each direction on the JFK/RIC/JFK run -- all evening flights. Read the story below from today's Times Dispatch and the riddle is solved:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...sPN=%21business

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap! I didn't think we would ever top Norfolk's numbers! I think the big test will be after this March/April, when JetBlue will have been in the market for over a year. If our numbers continue to improve after that point, it's a good sign :thumbsup:

Eric will be glad about this news...

And February's "Valentine's Day" debacle for Jet Blue caused interruptions on a large scale. Also, USAirways kiosk problems affected RIC. I'm surprised at the increase in face of those mishaps at ther new terminal.

I leave tomorrow afternoon from JFK on Jet Blue, but I may be on one of the leased smaller jets due to recall and repair of the Embraer fleet. To compensate, Jet Blue is flying the smaller jets (temporarily) on the RIC/JFK/RIC route. But they are using two planes -- the 2nd leaving minutes after the first one, so as to accommodate 100 flyers that is the capacity of ther Embraers.

Edited by burt

Here's more good news for the airport. RIC passenger level for February exceeds that of ORF.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...d=1173350431347

Oh yeah! This is good news!...and actually, this is the way I think it should be. Richmond is more centrally located in the state and should draw more people to its airport than Norfolk despite the fact that the Norfolk area has more people than metro Richmond. I'm just glad that Richmond's airport is seeing the turn around it has needed for so many years. Let's keep it up! I'll be looking for the "additional information" in the RTD tomorrow.

RIC tops ORF for first time, chalks up 22nd consecutive month of monthly passenger records

Richmond International Airport's passenger boardings outpaced Norfolk International Airport's in February, a rare victory over a state rival and a sign of continued growth in Virginia's capital.

"All facets of the airport are coming together," Armstrong said in an interview. "The fares, air service and facilities."

Though pleased to outpace Norfolk for a change, no one was gloating.

"I don't see it as a victory," said airport spokesman Troy Bell. "It's more of an interesting footnote." ....

"I think we're seeing a balancing of traffic," Mathiasen said. Until 2005, Richmond was losing about one in three potential passengers to other airports, including Norfolk and Newport News, with discount fares.

Now, Mathiasen said, "Richmonders are utilizing their hometown airport more."

He also cited the success of the ongoing "Fly 8" advertising campaign urging Richmonders to use all eight airlines here.

Good news for Richmond... Here's to hoping that we'll get direct connections to the West at some point in the near future...

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Good news for Richmond... Here's to hoping that we'll get direct connections to the West at some point in the near future...

I second that! Depsite the news that Richmond outboarded Norfolk in February, Norfolk still is the second busiest airport outside of Northern Virginia...though I hope that changes...soon. Like I said before, Richmond's location is more advantageous for reaching more people than Norfolk and should be the state leader outside of the DC area. I hope that the general airline community takes note of "little Richmond's" improvments. If they do, I can say with confidence that direct connections to the west could be a thing of the not-so-distant future! Some international flights would be nice too! I'll keep an eye on the airline industry and see if they are beginning to notice Richmond more. I do think that this airport has a bright future. We have lots of room for improvment, but we're going in the right direction...we're moving up!

• 2 weeks later...

RIC has busiest day ever. See the story below by Chip Jones in today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satel...mesdispatch.com

Thanks, Burt for posting this. I was just getting ready to do it myself, but you beat me to it! :thumbsup: Still, this is very good news though it doesn't sound like a lot of people when you compare other airports, but this just goes to show that RIC is still growing and business is still healthy. If this continues to happen month after month, Richmond will be THE airport of the south! I can't wait until we get some serious heads turning our way in the airport and airline industries. It will happen eventually. How can this industry not notice when an airport keeps putting up numbers of serious growth when the rest of the industry is barely showing any growth? I'm telling you, Richmond is nesting a golden egg here!

Edited by eandslee

I wonder, like you Eric, why more airlines don't take note of Richmond's growing passenger loads. Personally, I'm not a fan of Southwest, but I fail to see why they don't set up shop at RIC.

And is the USAirways/America West merger finalized? When can we expect direct (if not non-stop) flights to western destinations?

When work is complete at RIC, some of the ticketing will be shifted south to balance the now top-heavy northern end of the terminal. Only Jet Blue and AirTran are in the southern hall while USAir, Delta, American, United, Northwest and Continental use up all the space in the northern section. The reason is because the baggage carousels and paraphanalia are still under construction in the southern end.

Funny note: When I was waiting at the gate for the delayed Jet Blue flight last Monday, a kid had on roller skates and was doing figure 8's on the shiny floors of the concourse. I was surprised no one stopped him. Turned out, he was my seat-mate to JFK. :lol:

Edited by burt

I wonder, like you Eric, why more airlines don't take note of Richmond's growing passenger loads. Personally, I'm not a fan of Southwest, but I fail to see why they don't set up shop at RIC.

And is the USAirways/America West merger finalized? When can we expect direct (if not non-stop) flights to western destinations?

When work is complete at RIC, some of the ticketing will be shifted south to balance the now top-heavy northern end of the terminal. Only Jet Blue and AirTran are in the southern hall while USAir, Delta, American, United, Northwest and Continental use up all the space in the northern section. The reason is because the baggage carousels and paraphanalia are still under construction in the southern end.

Funny note: When I was waiting at the gate for the delayed Jet Blue flight last Monday, a kid had on roller skates and was doing figure 8's on the shiny floors of the concourse. I was surprised no one stopped him. Turned out, he was my seat-mate to JFK. :lol:

The merger was officially complete in September of 2005, but they've been working out the kinks ever since. It appears to me that they have pretty much settled down now since it wasn't too long ago I read that US Airways was looking to buy another small airline out west. As far as a prediction of them extending service from Richmond to western airports...all of that depends on the industry and whether US Airways would see it profitable to have direct flights to the west. I was hoping they would have made a move by now, but I figure that flying from Richmond to Charlotte and then out west serves them best right now. With RIC doing so well lately, heads at US Airways has to be turning and wondering if direct flights from Richmond to western destinations can be profitable for them right now. Additionally, I would imagine that some studies might have to be conducted in and around Richmond to see if there is a large enough market for western bound flights (which could take a while). I'm not ruling it out just yet, so right now I'm just going to be patient and wait and see. Surely, there has to be a market for western destinations, but in the mean time however, I'm going to enjoy our time in the growth spotlight. I think other services will come as RIC becomes recognized more and more. So may the growth at RIC continue! (I hope that sort of answers your question, Burt)

Does anyone think that as RIC grows it will help the metro area grow even faster in the next few years? Will better air service spur even more corporations to locate here, therefore adding even more jobs and people?

In that past it seems like there has been a chicken and egg thing going on: Some corporations bypassed Richmond because of air service, therefore the airport stayed small as more people were willing to drive to other airports.

What does everyone think? Have we solved a problem that will help us grow even faster?

Yes, yes and yes to each of your paragraphs, Skycity. The new sleek airport will be a big factor in attracting new companies to the area, IMO. And when the airline industry digests the fact that passenger loads are growing monthly at RIC by double digits, new routes will open up.

One unfortunate aspect of my late departure to JFK on Jet Blue's scheduled 6:45PM flight last Monday: Two passengers -- one bound for Oakland, CA and the other to Salt Lake City -- missed their Jet Blue connections at Kennedy. I talked briefly to the Oakland passenger at JFK and he said Jet Blue made no provision for him to over-night there.

Does anyone think that as RIC grows it will help the metro area grow even faster in the next few years? Will better air service spur even more corporations to locate here, therefore adding even more jobs and people?

In that past it seems like there has been a chicken and egg thing going on: Some corporations bypassed Richmond because of air service, therefore the airport stayed small as more people were willing to drive to other airports.

What does everyone think? Have we solved a problem that will help us grow even faster?

It has been proven that companies looking to relocate to another region specifically look at airports and airline service to help determine whether they will locate to that area. Greg Wingfield, president of the Greater Richmond Partnership, has indicated that before the airport was doing really well, the airport was one of the major factors for why companies did not move to Richmond before. Now I can say that our airport is no longer the limiting factor that it used to be. Sure, the airport could still improve drastically, but with AirTran and JetBlue serving Richmond, the prices for air fares have decreased and those wanting to go to a variety of locations, RIC has made it much easier! Without a good airport our region could not survive, much less compete!

As I too would like to see RIC see non-stop service to the west coast, unfortunately, Richmond does not have enough O & D (Origin & Destination) passenger demand to support west coast flights at this time. If RIC had the numbers to support west coast flights, we would have had the flights by now. All of the airlines serving RIC transfer passengers via a "Hub & Spoke" system. Meaning, you must travel to an airline hub in order reach your final destination, especially travelling to the west coast. Southwest on the other hand utilizes a point-to-point system which may actually better serve travelers. Believe me when I say that all the major airlines know the passenger levels counts out of RIC and which cities are best served for non-stop service. Yes, our passenger boardings at RIC have increased significantly but there is still not enough continuous demand for a particular west coast city for any airline to serve at this time out of RIC. Also, though we now have a beautiful airline terminal, that in no way will encourage the airlines serving RIC to increase or even add service. It would be nice though.......!

Also, lets all be happy that RIC's number surpassed Norfolk but lets not get overly confident about it. Its temporary. Every airport will have months or even years where their passenger levels are down. Though ORF's numbers may be down, as mentioned earlier, ORF is still the 2nd busiest airport in Virginia and will continue to be for some time. ORF's numbers are down probably due to the fact that many airlines are resituating their aircrafts for more profitability. Delta use to have all 757 service to Atlanta from Norfolk. Many airlines are now utilizing smaller regional jets as they either retire or sell off larger mainline jets. When this happens, the number of seats are reduced. ORF is most likely working to attract JetBlue and other carriers but they have to do it in a different way. Unlike RIC, ORF does not offer subsidies to any of the airlines. RIC was able to attract both AirTran and JetBlue by offering subsidies. RIC was awarded a "Small Community Air Service Development Grant" from the FAA. These subsidies helped both airlines by assisting with their development costs and possibly shortages. Norfolk on the other hand, is considered too large of a metropolitan city to qualify for such a grant.

The BIG QUESTION will be what happens when the funding grant runs out at RIC?? Will AirTran and Jetblue cut back service? Remember, AirTran has already terminated RIC-PHL due to low passenger counts. The Richmond metro area is growing and one day, RIC will not be eligible for the Small Community Air Service grant.

Thoughts..............

...^^^just a minor correction from your statement above. DCA is the 2nd busiest airport in VA, not ORF. DCA is in Arlington, VA. I know this from experience by receiving a traffic summons by Arlington County Police at DCA. Though an Arlington County judge dismissed it.

I was unaware that RIC was giving annual subsidies to the discount airlines. I knew there was an initial grant given to AirTran for being the first low cost carrier to come to Richmond which helped pay for their marketing efforts... is there somewhere where I can read more about the subsidies that are RIC specific?

What kind of demand do you think would justify direct flights to destinations in the west? Also, I'd be curious to see how many Richmond area passengers opt to fly from other airports (IAD) west so that they can have a direct or cheaper flight. I know we drove to Dulles to fly out to Denver last summer...