Richmond International Airport

eandslee

It seems that older articles aren't even showing up anymore on the news databases (like LexisNexus) I have access to here.

That's really weird especially since you have access to LexisNexus! What a bad move the RTD made to go to this type of format. Oh well! :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more photos of JetBlue at Richmond International Airport that I happen to find on Flickr. I'll post more aircraft photos in Richmond if I can find them. Enjoy!

Youmeandaplanenamedblue.jpg

JetBlueonRICTarmac2.jpg

JetBlueonRICTarmac.jpg

And one of Northwest Airlines:

NWAinRichmond.jpg

Eric, in the second shot of Jet Blue landing at RIC, isn't that plane bigger than their Embraer? It's got almost 40 sets of porthole windows -- two rows of two abreast X 40 = 160 seats.

Maybe Skybus to Columbus is doing better than some predicted. They still offer $10 flights on Wed., May 23, but after that date to the end of the month available one-way fares range from $70, to $90, to $120, to $140, then down to $50 on Wednesday and Thursday, May 30th and 31st.

Do you suppose that's a positive sign?

Edited by burt

Eric, in the second shot of Jet Blue landing at RIC, isn't that plane bigger than their Embraer? It's got almost 40 sets of porthole windows -- two rows of two abreast X 40 = 160 seats.

Oh yeah, that's definitely bigger. I think that is an Airbus A320 that seats about 150 people, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, it does look like that for the first couple of months, that Skybus will do fairly well based on the prices for fares. I've checked their site several times to see how they are doing. On the flip side however, it does not appear that all the seats on any flight are full...but it's hard to determine whether the flights are 80%+ full, which is where I think the airline would like to see its numbers.

Oh yeah, that's definitely bigger. I think that is an Airbus A320 that seats about 150 people, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, it does look like that for the first couple of months, that Skybus will do fairly well based on the prices for fares. I've checked their site several times to see how they are doing. On the flip side however, it does not appear that all the seats on any flight are full...but it's hard to determine whether the flights are 80%+ full, which is where I think the airline would like to see its numbers.

All of the photos are of an A-320.

I remeber someone thought I was nuts when I posted that I have seen a JetBlue A-320 at RIC.

Last time I was there, Shak, I asked the agents at the Jet Blue desk if larger planes than the Embraer occasionally dropped in on the airport. They were sort of vague but both said they were pretty sure the answer was "yes".

So you were right all along.

But my two trips in and out of RIC and JFK were all aboard the Embraer.

I'm thinking of flying down August 1st, returning August 6th and can get tix for $49 in each direction as of today. Haven't booked yet, though. Guess I'd better do it before the price rises.

Last time I was there, Shak, I asked the agents at the Jet Blue desk if larger planes than the Embraer occasionally dropped in on the airport. They were sort of vague but both said they were pretty sure the answer was "yes".

So you were right all along.

But my two trips in and out of RIC and JFK were all aboard the Embraer.

I'm thinking of flying down August 1st, returning August 6th and can get tix for $49 in each direction as of today. Haven't booked yet, though. Guess I'd better do it before the price rises.

I'm flying Jetblue to and from NYC next week. I'll try to remember what type of plane I'm on.

It's a 320

From the Airbus site:

media_object_image_lowres_709X473_5.jpg

Is the JetBlue airbus pictured above the same type of plane that the new Columbus based Skybus Airline will use for its Columbus/RIC/Columbus flights? Service begins today and there are still Ten Buck seats for this inaugeral flight, but much higher fares on future dates.

SkyBus starts service to Richmond

Lured by one-way fares as low as $10, 77 passengers boarded the first SkyBus flight from Richmond International Airport to Columbus, Ohio early today. The 8:01 a.m. flight pushed back from the boarding gate 29 minutes behind schedule, apparently due to some late arrivals and opening day operating kinks with a contract ground crew.

The incoming flight from Columbus had 130 passengers who got off the bright orange, 144-seat Airbus A319 jet.

More details coming tomorrow. Not the warmest of welcomes from Richmond travelers it seems.

Not the warmest of welcomes from Richmond travelers it seems.

Yeah, but it's the first day and a very new concept in airline travel in the United States (RyanAir of Europe has a similar operation). Looks like more travelers will be taking the flights in the upcoming days. I'd like to know what the counts are for the upcoming week. 130 travelers arriving to Richmond from Columbus looks very promising though. :thumbsup:

Richmond International Airport is on the cusp of nonstop western destinations as AirTran Airways virtually has Midwest Airlines acquired. AirTran has said that if they are successful at acquiring Midwest, then Richmond would see some nonstop western destinations. Check out the article below about the takeover.

Midwest's cookie is crumbling

I don't see anything in the story to indicate that RIC would benefit directly. And even if it did, travelers to western points would have to connect at the Milwaukee hub. Northwest does that already via Detroit, and United via Chicago, and American via what? Dallas?

But cheaper fares WOULD be offered if the new improved Air Tran expanded service at RIC.

I still hold out hope that the USAirways/AmericaWest merger will bring Vegas, Phoenix, Denver and West Coast direct flights to RIC.

I guess RIC can give up on Southwest ever landing there.

I guess RIC can give up on Southwest ever landing there.

I think that's a fair assessment for right now. Looks like it'd be a long way off if Southwest ever landed at RIC.

As far as a direct reference in that article...well, it's not there, but there was an article in the RTD not too long ago that mentioned that RIC would benefit from the merger and would line Richmond up for DIRECT service from Richmond to points west without connecting in Milwaukee.

I think that's a fair assessment for right now. Looks like it'd be a long way off if Southwest ever landed at RIC.

As far as a direct reference in that article...well, it's not there, but there was an article in the RTD not too long ago that mentioned that RIC would benefit from the merger and would line Richmond up for DIRECT service from Richmond to points west without connecting in Milwaukee.

Well, now that grabs my interest, Eric! Wish you could pull up that story.

Meanwhile, do you hold out any hope of USA/AW expanding at RIC?

NBC12 has a good report on Skybus landing in Richmond:

http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/7648867.html

Thanks Coupe for the link! That was a great piece on the entrance of Skybus to Richmond - it even had some great video of the A319 landing and arriving to its gate with a water rainbow above it! Very cool. I hope this airline does well and finds that Richmond is a good fit for Skybus!

Though it has only been operating in Richmond for 2 days, Skybus looks to be doing pretty good in Richmond. Apparently, 130 people flew from Columbus to Richmond yesterday (out of a 144 seats) and 88 tickets were sold for the flight from Richmond to Columbus with only about 77 showing up for the flight. The return flight to Columbus was not as strong, but the prices on the Skybus indicate that a lot more tickets have been sold for flights for the next month or so. I certainly hope this airline does well enough to add service here that not only flies directly to Columbus, but to other markets served as well. Wouldn't it be nice to catch a direct flight to Burbank, CA???

Here's an article on Skybus's first flight in and out of Richmond yesterday:

Hello Columbus! For only $20.40!

Here's an article on Skybus's first flight in and out of Richmond yesterday:

Hello Columbus! For only $20.40!

Hightower, an official of the state community college system, envisioned creative ways to use the attractive fares. "What a great idea if you wanted to take your team to another location, like a retail store or a manufacturer," he said. "For $20.40 you can fly there, and then fly back" for another $20.40.

Seaking of "creative ways to use the attractive fares" . . . If I remeber correctly, $40 is about how much we used to pay to go on a school field trip to Washington D.C. or Williamsburg for example. I don't know much about what Columbus has to offer in terms of historical value for Richmond students, but I could certainly imagine Columbus students coming to Richmond for the day to enrich their studies of the Civil War for example. Certainly there would be costs in addition to the plane ticket, and considering that there are only ten $10 seats, the plane tickets themselves could be more pricy; but it seems like this is the sort of service that the market is moving towards.