Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I heard today that Skybus load factors are not doing very well in RIC and GSO. There was a "possible" equipment repositioning or "proving run" today with a Skybus flight from RIC-GSO-CMH earlier this afternoon. RIC & GSO may see a point-to-point schedule to CMH (Columbus) such as CMH-RIC-GSO-CMH in order to meet load factors. With one daily flight every morning, this was bound to happen.

I heard today that Skybus load factors are not doing very well in RIC and GSO. There was a "possible" equipment repositioning or "proving run" today with a Skybus flight from RIC-GSO-CMH earlier this afternoon. RIC & GSO may see a point-to-point schedule to CMH (Columbus) such as CMH-RIC-GSO-CMH in order to meet load factors. With one daily flight every morning, this was bound to happen.

So in layman's language, travelers boarding Richmond will stop enroute at Greensboro then on to Columbus? Southbound the next day would be direct to RIC from CMH, then the plane would continue on to GSO? One stop service to CMH and non-stop return, but not on same day?

It wouldn't mean that flyers could book only to GSO, would it?

Edited by burt

So in layman's language, travelers boarding Richmond will stop enroute at Greensboro then on to Columbus? Southbound the next day would be direct to RIC from CMH, then the plane would continue on to GSO? One stop service to CMH and non-stop return, but not on same day?

It wouldn't mean that flyers could book only to GSO, would it?

Burt,

Yes to all questions. This is the information I am hearing while gathering my pre-flight briefs at the pilot staging areas.

I need to catch up on this thread since I have been out. It has been very busy with the start of the summer travel. All of my flights have been full.

I am off this week to take my annual FAA Med Checks and Equipment check. So it will be a good time for me to catch up.

Burt,

Yes to all questions. This is the information I am hearing while gathering my pre-flight briefs at the pilot staging areas.

I need to catch up on this thread since I have been out. It has been very busy with the start of the summer travel. All of my flights have been full.

I am off this week to take my annual FAA Med Checks and Equipment check. So it will be a good time for me to catch up.

When you say "all my flights are full", to what service and from what city are you referring, MicoMiles? You're not based in RIC, are you?

• 2 weeks later...

Mico Miles, may I have your attention, please?

I've just checked Skybus flights from RIC to CMH and schedules thru August do not reflect your info about results of a "proving run" RIC/GSO/CMH. In fact, prices are running at maxiums of $200 at the moment which would indicate a high ridership, and non-stop flight times between the two cities is listed as an hour and 10 minutes.

What's going on, please?

If anybody wants to book a flight to Columbus, here's the web site:

http://www.skybus.com

Edited by burt

Passenger counts at RIC for May are up around 9% over last May. That translates into almost 30,000 additional passengers. :thumbsup:

Yes, the count for May was 327,000. Wonder if that still leaves RIC #2 (outside of Nova airports)?

Here's the source of that info plus news about a raise for the chief:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...06-27-0082.html

Edited by burt

Mico Miles, may I have your attention, please?

I've just checked Skybus flights from RIC to CMH and schedules thru August do not reflect your info about results of a "proving run" RIC/GSO/CMH. In fact, prices are running at maxiums of $200 at the moment which would indicate a high ridership, and non-stop flight times between the two cities is listed as an hour and 10 minutes.

What's going on, please?

If anybody wants to book a flight to Columbus, here's the web site:

http://www.skybus.com

Burt,

I have not heard anything lately on Skybus. Proving runs are just that........proving runs. Time will tell what Skybus will do.

As for the $200.00+ flights for Skybus, it probably means that the "introductory fares" of $10.00 are either sold out or the Skybus fares are "normalizing". That is to be expected. No airline can survive on $10.00 fares!!

Airlines will not make changes right away. Most airlines display schedule changes when they release their new flight schedules. Southwest recently released their new flight schedules and a lot of flights have either slightly increased or decreased based on certain flight segments. Some transcon flights have been cancelled out right such as BWI to LAX and BWI to OAK. Other than SFO, Southwest will not add any new cities for the remainder of 2007.

Also, I know that we all take pride in our hometown airport RIC, but why is it so important that RIC achieve the #2 status (passenger wise when comparing specifically to Norfolk) outside the NOVA airports?

When I arrive back in RIC, I like coming home to a smaller airport than the ones I fly to. Its easy for me to get to my car.

I have no shame in admitting that I would love to see RIC become the prime regional airport in Virginia.

A friend of mine was scheduled for a return flight around noon from RIC to LGA about a week ago. It was one of the USAirway leased arrangements with Air Wisconsin (or Air Milwaukee, whichever it is called). After the fully loaded plane was ready to take off, the pilot announced that weather conditions could create delays of one to two hours, so they returned to the jetway and passengers deplaned. Shortly thereafter, it was announced that conditions had improved, so once again everyone reboarded only to be told that the plane was havving difficulty with one of its tires, so back again to the gate. Air Wisconsin (or whatever) has no facilities at RIC to handles such problems, meaning that a new tire had to be flown in from elsewhere. As many as possible, including my friend, were given lunch vouchers and rebooked on a 2PM flight only to find at boarding time that the 2PM was over-booked. In short, my friend finally left on a packed 4PM flight.

I wish someone could get a report on just how well or poorly Skybus is doing RIC/CMH.

Eric, why don't you e-mail your friend Troy Bell and ask him?

I have no shame in admitting that I would love to see RIC become the prime regional airport in Virginia.

A friend of mine was scheduled for a return flight around noon from RIC to LGA about a week ago. It was one of the USAirway leased arrangements with Air Wisconsin (or Air Milwaukee, whichever it is called). After the fully loaded plane was ready to take off, the pilot announced that weather conditions could create delays of one to two hours, so they returned to the jetway and passengers deplaned. Shortly thereafter, it was announced that conditions had improved, so once again everyone reboarded only to be told that the plane was havving difficulty with one of its tires, so back again to the gate. Air Wisconsin (or whatever) has no facilities at RIC to handles such problems, meaning that a new tire had to be flown in from elsewhere. As many as possible, including my friend, were given lunch vouchers and rebooked on a 2PM flight only to find at boarding time that the 2PM was over-booked. In short, my friend finally left on a packed 4PM flight.

I wish someone could get a report on just how well or poorly Skybus is doing RIC/CMH.

Eric, why don't you e-mail your friend Troy Bell and ask him?

Glad to hear your friend made it home!

Air Wisconsin flies as a USAirways Express carrier. Crew and Maintanance Bases are located in Milwaukee, Philly and Norfolk. My guess is the tire was driven up to RIC from Norfolk. "Air Whiskey" is actually one of the better "express carriers" for USAirways.

Yes, the count for May was 327,000. Wonder if that still leaves RIC #2 (outside of Nova airports)?

Here's the source of that info plus news about a raise for the chief:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...06-27-0082.html

Yes - Reagan National and Dulles. National and Dulles both average over 1-million passengers per month. Dulles actually averages close to 2-million passengers per month.

Yes - Reagan National and Dulles. National and Dulles both average over 1-million passengers per month. Dulles actually averages close to 2-million passengers per month.

Shak, by "regional", I was not including Dulles and Regan National. I consider them both major airports. Norfolk and Richmond, to me, fall in the regional category.

my father is from Wales and his brother (my uncle) will be coming over soon for a visit from Wales. It is cheaper to fly from Bristol, England to Newark to Richmond than to fly from Dulles straight to London. So therefore it's also cheaper to fly from richmond to newark to bristol. the benefits of this are not only saving gas but bristol is 40 mins from Cardiff, Wales instead of Londons 2 hour trip so you save traffic headaches. :thumbsup: good to know

my father is from Wales and his brother (my uncle) will be coming over soon for a visit from Wales. It is cheaper to fly from Bristol, England to Newark to Richmond than to fly from Dulles straight to London. So therefore it's also cheaper to fly from richmond to newark to bristol. the benefits of this are not only saving gas but bristol is 40 mins from Cardiff, Wales instead of Londons 2 hour trip so you save traffic headaches. :thumbsup: good to know

Welcome ejones. You are among several Welsh descendents on this board :) . An English surname that ends in "s" is almost certainly Welsh.

I'm surprised there are direct flights from Bristol. It should give Great Britain bound flyers reason to check schedules and fares. There's no need to fly to Heathrow if one's destination is Manchester, Bristol or (gulp!) Glasgow. I suppose your uncle will transfer to a Continental flight at Newak Liberty for the leg to Richmond.

yeah Bristol flies two direct flights to the United States (Newark and Sanford in Orlando). and i do believe thats his flightplan. next year my family will be flying over and im sure we'll be flying out of richmond instead of 2 hour trek through DC rush hour traffic to get to Dulles. plus i think richmond although smaller and having less amenitites is still a nicer experience than Dulles

That appears to be in Limbo, jb. Didn't an Australian Company take over management of the roadway not very long ago?

Yes they did. However the new owners of 895 are still doing the studies for the 895 connector to the airport. As a matter of fact, they have talking about raising the tolls to help fund the connector project.