Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I'm flying Skybus on Saturday, September 8th. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Please count the number of passengers on your flight, Henry. And, if you can snoop around a bit, see if you can learn how Skybus is doing at RIC.

What price did you get for Sept. 8th? Bet it wasn't $10. :)

This is super news indeed. The better news is that with the new flight to Fort Lauderdale (JetBlue), those numbers should increase, if not just a little bit (that is, starting when the flights commence). That would be cool if RIC could reach 500K people each month or more. That would mean about 6 million people served by RIC per year! I don't think that's too far off. If we continue with this upward trend, not counting additional flights and/or new airlines that may want to service Richmond, we could end up at that mark within the next 3 years or sooner! Thanks for the news Coupe! :thumbsup:

I think the next best thing that could happen at RIC would be direct flights to the west coast. It seems pretty apparent that Richmond will support flights if the prices are realistic.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Eric, have you heard whether or not Delta and Northwest are in serious merger discussions? If that were to happen, how do you think it would affect RIC?

I've never heard of Delta and Northwest merging, but if they ever did it's hard to say what would happen. I don't think Northwest and Delta compete for cities flying out of RIC, but that would, at least, be one less airline serving the Captial City. Where did you hear that they might merge? I've never heard such.

A more thorough article about passenger growth at RIC:

RIC Ridership up 11.7% in July

Richmond is the second-fastest-growing airport among the nation's 100 largest, Bell said. More passengers mean better service for air travelers and more revenue for the airport, allowing it to pay for improved and expanded facilities.

To help those trends continue, the commission yesterday agreed to offer landing-fee rebates to airlines providing nonstop, daily service to cities not being served by another carrier.

The new round-trip flights would have to continue for a year, be made in jet aircraft carrying at least 70 passengers and fly at least six days a week.

"People increasingly are not happy with double-leg flights," commission Chairman Beverley W. "Booty" Armstrong said.

It looks like the airport isn't simply sitting idle on these passenger growth numbers. They are trying to lure more direct flights to new destinations.

Richmond is the second-fastest-growing airport among the nation's 100 largest, Bell said. More passengers mean better service for air travelers and more revenue for the airport, allowing it to pay for improved and expanded facilities.

To help those trends continue, the commission yesterday agreed to offer landing-fee rebates to airlines providing nonstop, daily service to cities not being served by another carrier.

The new round-trip flights would have to continue for a year, be made in jet aircraft carrying at least 70 passengers and fly at least six days a week.

"People increasingly are not happy with double-leg flights," commission Chairman Beverley W. "Booty" Armstrong said.

Very nice indeed! You can expect more flights to newer destinations now with the cool landing fee rebate! That is SUPER news! Maybe we'll get a western destination out of it! Just the fact that we are the second fastest growing airport out of America's largest 100 airports is an awesome honor! I only see things getting better as time goes on. With those types of accalades, how can the airline industry ignore Richmond! I'm super excited about this news! :yahoo:

Burt,

My tickets were $30.00 each.

Aha!! You scored in obtaining low-priced seats. The price quoted for Sept. 8th is now quoted at $70.

I also noticed that for today (Aug. 29) there was an N/S symbol in the box rather than a price. A footnote says somewhat obliquely that N/S means "service is not yet offered on this date."

Re: My comment above about N/S:

After opining on the N/S, I think it was there because the plane had already departed RIC, so of course, they couldn't quote a fare for the one daily flight that had already left the airport.

Edited by burt

I've never heard of Delta and Northwest merging, but if they ever did it's hard to say what would happen. I don't think Northwest and Delta compete for cities flying out of RIC, but that would, at least, be one less airline serving the Captial City. Where did you hear that they might merge? I've never heard such.

Yesterday I was surfing around other city airports and I know I saw a recent posting about a possible Delta/NW merger. But in looking back today among the aiports I was surfing I can't find it. I'll keep looking.

The report above says that RIC is the second fastest growing airport among the top hundred in the Nation. That's quite impressive. I'd like to see the list of the fast-growing rankings.

Hey burt, here's an excel spredsheet that explains rankings of airports in North America (not just the US) and their growth rates last year. It's pretty amazing to see that Richmond really is one of the fastest growing airports out there. Out of the top 100, we are second...or third in North America! Wow! I'm hoping Richmond can pull off another impressive growth year this year. We definitely have to be turning some heads!

http://www.aci-na.org/docs/2006%20Final%20...r%20Ranking.xls

I saw these first thing this morning, but I didn't have time to post them (I was on my way to work). All of this is very good press for RIC! I think that these articles also serve as a great marketing tool for folks in the Richmond area to get on board with flying through RIC. Even the number of 4 million people was thrown out there! We're not far from those type of numbers! Heck, we're on track for 3.6 million passengers served this year already!

I got a roundtrip fare of $180.50 on JetBlue JFK/RIC/JFK for 10/9 - 10/16.

Hahaha! I checked Jet Blue fares and found that prices were lower than when I booked, so I'm getting a $30+ credit. The new RT fare is $148.80.

I wish Henry would tell us about his Skybus flights. They've got plenty of $10 seats in late October and November.

Edited by burt

Ok Burt, here is my Skybus report:

I checked in online 24 hours in advance. I was in Loading group 2. You could pay $10.00 to get priority seating, which means you get to load the plane first. There are no reserved seats. The plane was nice and felt fairly new. There were 3 seats on each side of the aisle and they were made of leather or something to feel like leather. The flight attendants were friendly and dressed casually (they wore different Skybus t-shirts). They also had a sense of humor...I asked for a napkin and they said it would cost $4.00. They asked the cabin to raise their hands if they purchased a $10.00 flight. The food was adequate and the pricing was not too bad. Soda...$2...beer/wine $5.00...Box lunch $10.00. They obviously charge for everything including checked luggage (no charge for the napkins and restrooms). They only have one flight to Columbus (8 A.M.) and one flight to Richmond (6:30 A.M.), so if you want to continue to another destination you might have to spend some time in Columbus. Although there is a flight that leaves forSan Diego at 9:41 A.M., so that would be a nice trip for #20.00.

I thought it was a pleasant experience and would definitely fly them again. Other observations:

The plane was about two thirds full for both flights.

People were using it for other destinations (VA Beach, Outer Banks).

Ohio State Buckeye fans were plentiful. You can easily be a season ticket holder from Richmond now.

The first plane I boarded had a big Nationwide Logo. When I got off the plane I noticed the Skybus logo on the tail. They were selling ad space on their plane...pretty good idea imo.

Lastly, the Columbus Airport feels like a bigger city airport.

Edited by Henry

Ok Burt, here is my Skybus report:

I checked in online 24 hours in advance. I was in Loading group 2. You could pay $10.00 to get priority seating, which means you get to load the plane first. There are no reserved seats. The plane was nice and felt fairly new. There were 3 seats on each side of the aisle and they were made of leather or something to feel like leather. The flight attendants were friendly and dressed casually (they wore different Skybus t-shirts). They also had a sense of humor...I asked for a napkin and they said it would cost $4.00. They asked the cabin to raise their hands if they purchased a $10.00 flight. The food was adequate and the pricing was not too bad. Soda...$2...beer/wine $5.00...Box lunch $10.00. They obviously charge for everything including checked luggage (no charge for the napkins and restrooms). They only have one flight to Columbus (8 A.M.) and one flight to Richmond (6:30 A.M.), so if you want to continue to another destination you might have to spend some time in Columbus. Although there is a flight that leaves forSan Diego at 9:41 A.M., so that would be a nice trip for #20.00.

I thought it was a pleasant experience and would definitely fly them again. Other observations:

The plane was about two thirds full for both flights.

People were using it for other destinations (VA Beach, Outer Banks).

Ohio State Buckeye fans were plentiful. You can easily be a season ticket holder from Richmond now.

The first plane I boarded had a big Nationwide Logo. When I got off the plane I noticed the Skybus logo on the tail. They were selling ad space on their plane...pretty good idea imo.

Interesting Henry. Thanks for the report. I'm glad to hear that the planes were at least 2/3 full (I think that's what airlines shoot for at a mininum). I can also see why there were a lot of folks going to the Outer Banks and VA beach...for some reason there are tons of vacationers from Ohio that come down and enjoy our coasts - it's crazy! I'm also glad you had a pleasant experience - it builds my confidence in the service. Heck, if I get the chance, maybe I'll fly with them one day. I do wish that they had more than one flight a day out of Richmond. If we can get every flight full, I'm sure it would happen!

Well, Columbus is a bigger city than Richmond and is a huge college town, so there are a lot more flights - especially now with Skybus's hub there! Don't worry, I feel that Richmond is on its way to becoming a big city airport too - especially if we continue to see growth like we've seen here in the past couple of years! I feel we're on the cusp of greater things!

Hahaha! I checked Jet Blue fares and found that prices were lower than when I booked, so I'm getting a $30+ credit. The new RT fare is $148.80.

I wish Henry would tell us about his Skybus flights. They've got plenty of $10 seats in late October and November.

That was a great report, Henry. And, as Eric says, encouraging. Saturday isn't usually a heavy travel day, is it? Was there a Buckeye game?

I noticed when checking Skybus availability the price posted for today (Wed. 9/12) was $200. I would take that to mean today's flight is almost sold out.

Would your $30 fare have carried you all the way to San Diego, or does the airline price by flight segments?

Edited by burt

haha call me crazy or not but I have never been on a plane my entire life because my family doesnt like to fly. My dad flied along time ago in the 80's to Chicago but that was it other than that my mon says she will ne ver get on a plane. Especially now since she got in that bad car accident in 2003 and got something called Vertigo. So who knows I might not ever get on a plane till I get a good paying job.

Burt, there was a Buckeye game this past Saturday, and yes, you do pay by flight segments. They offet $10.00 flights to the first ten seats sold on each flight, so theoretically, you could fly to SD for $20.00.

I believe they also fly Oakland to Columbus. Maybe Eric ought to check out fares and lay/over time in Columbus. It would have to be overnight because of the early RIC departure.

Check it out, Eric. Maybe with advance booking you could bring the whole family to Richmond for the holidays at low rates and everyone could share a low-cost motel room overnight at the Columbus airport.

:)

I believe they also fly Oakland to Columbus. Maybe Eric ought to check out fares and lay/over time in Columbus. It would have to be overnight because of the early RIC departure.

Check it out, Eric. Maybe with advance booking you could bring the whole family to Richmond for the holidays at low rates and everyone could share a low-cost motel room overnight at the Columbus airport.

:)

Actually, I'm just north of LA and since Skybus flies to Los Angeles, that would be the better choice. I'm still not liking the fact that I'd have to stay overnight in Columbus to catch the next scheduled flight to Richmond the next morning. It just sounds silly to me, but if it's a "screaming deal", it might be worth it...just couldn't do it with the whole family. I couldn't imagine traveling with the wife and kids for 2 whole days! Augh!!