Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Richmond added an incentive to airlines about a month or two ago for adding direct flights to cities not currently available from RIC. See this article dated August 29th:

Richmond is the second-fastest-growing airport among the nation's 100 largest, Bell said. More passengers mean better service for air travelers and more revenue for the airport, allowing it to pay for improved and expanded facilities.

To help those trends continue, the commission yesterday agreed to offer landing-fee rebates to airlines providing nonstop, daily service to cities not being served by another carrier.

The new round-trip flights would have to continue for a year, be made in jet aircraft carrying at least 70 passengers and fly at least six days a week.

Also, just because local officials aren't banging pots and pans together drawing attention to the SkyBus discussion doesn't mean they aren't taking the prospect seriously. There was no public mention of MeadWestvaco's plans to move to the area until the day they held a press conference with the Governor to announce the done deal...

Check back a few pages for the link to the article quoted above.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Richmond added an incentive to airlines about a month or two ago for adding direct flights to cities not currently available from RIC. See this article dated August 29th:

Also, just because local officials aren't banging pots and pans together drawing attention to the SkyBus discussion doesn't mean they aren't taking the prospect seriously. There was no public mention of MeadWestvaco's plans to move to the area until the day they held a press conference with the Governor to announce the done deal...

Check back a few pages for the link to the article quoted above.

I know, I know - you guys are right. I'm just nervous! I mean, this is an awesome opportunity for Richmond and the airport and I just don't want them to blow it! This is really big...huge even!

It would be awesome for Richmond... hopefully we can pull this off. If not I don't know when another opportunity like this would come along... BTW, the planes used by SkyBus have a range of 3700 miles... which means if we get lucky we could get direct flights to the west coast! :)

Exactly! However, Skybus just got rid of their San Diego flight and a Washington state flight. In my opinion, San Diego is the only loss there, but having direct flights westward would be sweet for Richmond!

It would be awesome for Richmond... hopefully we can pull this off. If not I don't know when another opportunity like this would come along... BTW, the planes used by SkyBus have a range of 3700 miles... which means if we get lucky we could get direct flights to the west coast! :)

From the North Carolina "aviation grapevine" it looks like Greensboro (GSO) may be the next Skybus hub or focus city. GSO is providing incentives to Skybus in the same manner they did to FedEx. GSO has the infrastructure and enough unused gates to accomodate all 5 Skybus aircrafts. Skybus is also adding an additional flight to GSO as listed on their spring schedule. GSO is often overshadowed by both RDU and CLT. From what I have heard, an official announcment will probably be made in Jan/Feb08.

As I said sometime over the summer, Skybus did perform a couple of "proving runs" to both RIC and GSO.

From the North Carolina "aviation grapevine" it looks like Greensboro (GSO) may be the next Skybus hub or focus city. GSO is providing incentives to Skybus in the same manner they did to FedEx. GSO has the infrastructure and enough unused gates to accomodate all 5 Skybus aircrafts. Skybus is also adding an additional flight to GSO as listed on their spring schedule. GSO is often overshadowed by both RDU and CLT. From what I have heard, an official announcment will probably be made in Jan/Feb08.

As I said sometime over the summer, Skybus did perform a couple of "proving runs" to both RIC and GSO.

I also read another article last night saying that Richmond had basically "thrown in the towel" and said "no" to Skybus. I'll have to find that article and post it, but it was an unbelievable disappointment to hear. I don't know how much credability I should give to the article, but it sure put a damper on my day.

Additionally, almost everywhere I search on the Internet, it is saying that PTI will get the hub. PTI is the best performing airport of Skybus right now (though Richmond isn't doing too bad either), but that just may be what the top brass at Skybus is looking for. I've never heard the Jan/Feb 08 date for an announcement before (I'd always heard that announcement would be made by the end of October), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

You mean we will have to hang on 'til Jan/Feb to find out we're not going to be the focus city? Or should we just resign ourselves, forget about it and move on to other dreams?

I still don't understand what you mean by "proving runs." What were the findings from them? Are Kansas City, Greensboro and Richmond still the weak sisters in the Skybus empire?

The Virginia Air National Guard has removed itself from Richmond to Langley. The vacant space perhaps could be utilized by Skybus as a mainternance facility; and somehow, I believe enough gates could be made available at RIC to accommodate 22 more daily flights.

Further, our airport manager, who is pretty sharp, says that Skybus will be adding another RIC flight eventhough the airline claims there are no immediate plans to do so.

This is a very tight-lipped industry and rumors are rampant.

Edited by burt

Exactly! However, Skybus just got rid of their San Diego flight and a Washington state flight. In my opinion, San Diego is the only loss there, but having direct flights westward would be sweet for Richmond!

Considering Richmond's proximity to Hampton Roads, it's possible San Diego could be reinstated as a destination if RIC were to become the "focus city." Lord knows, enough Richmonders drove down there for cheap flights before they became available at RIC!

......... The Virginia Air National Guard has removed itself from Richmond to Langley. The vacant space perhaps could be utilized by Skybus as a mainternance facility; and somehow, I believe enough gates could be made available at RIC to accommodate 22 more daily flights.

Further, our airport manager, who is pretty sharp, says that Skybus will be adding another RIC flight eventhough the airline claims there are no immediate plans to do so.

This is a very tight-lipped industry and rumors are rampant.

The airline business is a tough..... Plain and simple..... The managment staff at RIC are smart enough to know NOT to spend millions of dollars on new or required infrastructure just to lure a relatively new startup LCC! A lot of people in the aviation community have their doubts about Skybus. IMO, I think the managment of Skybus should be looking at expanding their existing routes rather than opening a new focus city. But thats hard to do with only 5 planes.

Here's that article I was referring to earlier. Like I said before, I don't know how much we can rely on its information, but I'm posting it here anyway:

Richmond Says No to Skybus

This just make Richmond sound like it is not business friendly, which I disagree with. What do you all think of this?

Alex Curavo is just quoting all the reports we have posted ourselves and culled from Greensboro's UP board. The only new twist is that he actually says that Richmond said "NO". Wonder where and how he came up with that headline? I haven't seen "NO" anywhere else, have you?

But you know, Mico Miles may have a good point about being cautious and leery of committing to a LCC like Skybus. If it only has five planes, how would they spread them around two airports?

RIC is too fine a facility to lay fallow for long. If Skybus selects GSO (PTI), another more solidly based LCC just might expand at RIC.

The article is written by an undergrad kid at small Ashland University, somewhere in Ohio. It appears that by Matthiason saying "there is no $50 million dollars" the leap was made to assume that it means Richmond isn't interested at all. Who's to say there isn't a $49 million deal? :)

MicoMiles makes some really good points though about the risk associated with such a new start-up... I guess it's a case where the risk provides huge rewards in the end or it was just a waste of time. If RIC or Virginia were to offer any incentives, I'm sure there would be clauses stating that if Skybus went belly up or didn't deliver on what's promised, any incentives would be returned.

If I may interject.

You have to be really, REALLY, cautious of start up airlines like SkyBus. They promise a whole lot, but deliver very little and that can backfire on them terribly in some markets. You have seen them pull out of the western US markets because they just aren't making the money they thought they would. And lets face it, putting a hub in Greensboro is about the dumbest thing (from an airline and financial point of view) thing they could possibly do.

Your thoughts are always welcome, Lexy. :thumbsup:

So do you think Richmond would be wise to pass this one over?

Honestly, it's really too early to tell. SkyBus has some pretty deep pocketed backers, but time will ultimatly tell if this airline has the wherewithall to survive. Currently Ryanair, a European based LCC, has applied to start service to NY's Islip Airport out on Long Island from England. Now, this is a warning shot to some airlines like SkyBus that they are attempting to enter the US marketplace. Both SkyBus and Ryanair follow the same business model of deep discounts, pay for ameneties on the plane, and hubs so you can see where the problems may spring up here. This could get really interesting in the next couple of years. That is, if SkyBus is still around. And in order for them to still be here, they have to get away from Columbus, Ohio. Nobody really wants to go there so them hubbing it out is pointless unless they have good places to connect to from there. Currently, they don't.

Personally, I would help them out as long as they are in RIC. But I wouldn't open the wallets for them full throttle.

Edited by Lexy

It "appears" that Skybus is coming to Greensboro instead of Richmond. A spokeman said that NC Governor Easley will be making a MAJOR announcement today at Piedmont Triad Intl Airport in Greensboro.

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71022001' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_news-record_com');">http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71022001</a>

Edited by cityboi

It appears that Skybus is coming to Greensboro instead of Richmond. A spokeman with Skybus said that NC Governor Easley will be making a MAJOR announcement today at Piedmont Triad Intl Airport in Greensboro.

<a href="http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71022001" target="_blank">http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RSTAFF/71022001</a>

With all do respect to our fellow Greensboro people on here, that is about the dumbest thing an airline could do. That's not a hub market by any stretch of the imagination and it's hardly a market that people are trying to get to or from in the airline world. Greensboro is a great city with a ton of potential, but it's not a city that would make a good airline hub FOR ANYONE. At any rate, they won't have many daily flights so it's not that big a deal right now.

But think about it like this Richmond, if SkyBus goes flop, you lost nothing basically.

With all do respect to our fellow Greensboro people on here, that is about the dumbest thing an airline could do. That's not a hub market by any stretch of the imagination and it's hardly a market that people are trying to get to or from in the airline world. Greensboro is a great city with a ton of potential, but it's not a city that would make a good airline hub FOR ANYONE. At any rate, they won't have many daily flights so it's not that big a deal right now.

But think about it like this Richmond, if SkyBus goes flop, you lost nothing basically.

I think the Greensboro market is important to skybus because its in the heart of the growing metro markets of the Triad, Triangle and Charlotte. Greensboro's location and its superb history of supporting lower budget airlines (not nessicarily the city itself) is a big reason Skybus is interested in PTI. It just potentially serves a bigger passenger market. Its all about economics.

Edited by cityboi

Well, I hope you're right Lexy. This is a huge gamble for either market and it doesn't seem such a huge deal since Skybus only has 5 aircraft currently, but if...if by a small chance Skybus really takes off and becomes a very successful, then Richmond has really lost a lot. It's hard to tell, but perhaps Richmond didn't want to take that gamble and sinks tens of thousands of dollars into the unknown, but sometimes it's good to take risks. Hopefully, Richmond has made the right decision.

BTW, I have enjoyed the very good discussion on this thread about this situation. Anyone who has some insight and knowledge about this particular subject matter is always welcomed. Thanks Lexy, Micro Miles, Cityboi, and all the rest. If this big announcement is for PTI to gain Skybus's second focus city...well, I congratualate you and perhaps something else will come Richmond's way soon.

In all likelihood, Greensboro simply offered the more generous incentive package. That's a huge part of how cities bring in business these days. I'm not too concerned either way. Our airport continues to draw record numbers of passengers each month and as long as we see healthy growth, new flights and airlines will come with it.

In all likelihood, Greensboro simply offered the more generous incentive package. That's a huge part of how cities bring in business these days. I'm not too concerned either way. Our airport continues to draw record numbers of passengers each month and as long as we see healthy growth, new flights and airlines will come with it.

Jet Blue is expanding in Florida markets. Cities like Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester will soon have JB service to Orlando and/or Ft. Lauderdale. And RIC also will have direct non-stop service once a day to Ft. Lauderdale beginning next month. I was told when checking in a week ago that RIC is hoping for a JB flight to Orlando, as well. The agent at the JB desk also told me that AirTran is doing quite well on its Richmond/Orlando flights.

Edited by burt

Lexy, if a city bends over backwards enabling an airline to introduce and/or expand service, couldn't that create demand from other carriers for equal favors? Seems to me that subject arose when AirTran (under another name, I believe) started RIC flight several years ago. It did not last very long as a carrier in Richmond, but a year ago, it returned and is doing well.

I wonder what kind of enticements were made to lure the airline to re-start service and how did the 8 other airlines react?

Aren't reduced landing fees a big inducement?

Congratulations, cityboi and everyone in The Triad.

As far as rumors of RIC being second choice, we only know that from the Winston-Salem Alliance. No one in Richmond has confirmed that the city did any more than contact Skybus about the possibility. Maybe our airport here wasn't even in the running. :)

PTI (is that it's actual designation, or is it GSO?) may see lots of Central Virginians flocking to The Triad for cheap flights. Good luck.

PTI (is that it's actual designation, or is it GSO?) may see lots of Central Virginians flocking to The Triad for cheap flights. Good luck.

Would it even be timely or economical to drive from Central VA to the Triad for a flight? As passenger counts continue to grow at RIC, I imagine we will see more direct flights to an expanding number of cities.

Still, congrats and good luck to the Triad. Hopefully Skybus proves to be successful longterm and the region can reap the rewards that would come with it.