Richmond International Airport

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

More people fly out of RIC to New York City airports than any other destination. Judging from this story in yesterday's inRich, perhaps the Fed and State governments should work with Amtrak CSX and N/S to fast track high speed rail from localities like Charlotte and Hampton Roads to the Big Apple via Richmond's Main Street Station:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...12-20-0117.html

Edited by burt

Here's a summary of activity to date at RIC from inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...12-24-0040.html

Nice write up, but I'm still looking for announcement that either concourse A is expanding or that another airline is moving in or existing one is expanding at RIC, which an article alluded to earlier this year. I guess we'll have to wait until next year.

In other news, I read not too long ago that Skybus was not doing very well overall...that they had turned out a huge loss this quarter. However, that is typical of new businesses that start up so I didn't read too much into it. Critics think that it is a major blow to the airline, but I'd have to see some numbers to verify that. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

In Charlotte there are rumors of another new airline possibility. Southwest is about the only carrier of significance that doesn't operate at CLT, isn't it?

Wasn't the lack of Charlotte service one of the reasons given for Southwest's reluctance to enter the Richmond market?

That is correct Burt. If Southwest lands in Charlotte, then we could become an airport with Southwest also...at least, according to our airport manager. We'll see what happens.

I had a friend fly over from Britain, and she chose RIC because it was the cheapest flight around (I live in The Triad, NC).

I had an opportunity to see the "New 'Port", and I loved it, as did she. It was very breath-taking.

We dined at Applebees. Service was awful and slow. But it was nice to see my friend so we didn't care too much.

It was my first time in Richmond in a while so I will give my spill in other threads...

The airport is awesome.

Airport spokesperson, Troy Bell, says in an inRich story about the two Bowl games in Florida that three chartered planes have or will leave RIC for FLL and the Orange Bowl. One was scheduled to go out at 8 this morning. Bell said "commercial traffic to both Florida locations (Lauderdale and Jax) has been up in recent days." He added "Jet Blue has run very strong numbers on their flights down to Ft. Lauderdale...which is great for Hokie fans."

On the down side, a spokesperson of Collegiate Athletic Travel is quoted as saying "A planned charter plane out of RIC (to JAX for the Gator Bowl) didn't sell well enough, and people who signed up for that trip were combined with those who signed up for a trip out of Charlottesville's airport. That plane left Sunday with 130 people aboard."

Passing thoughts and questions:

What, if any, plans are in the works for the abandoned Va. Air National Guard facilities on the east side of the Richmond airport?

With Rolls Royce locating a plant in the area, could that be a another lure to some kind of International air service?

If International flights (and that's a big "IF") could be attracted, wouldn't they need some kind of hangar/maintenance facility? Would the old Air Nat'l Guard site be practical for such usage?

Since overseas service is usually provided on hugh planes, would they be able to taxi to a jetway, or would they have to be accessed by those rolling stairways?

Is there space in an existing RIC concourse for customs -- or perhaps in an enclosed space beneath?

I have seen some very large cargo planes at Richmond, so it logically follows that existing runways could handle 747's and the like. After all, the Queen arrived safely in her behemouth of a plane.

Burt's 2 cents thoughts for the day. :)

Passing thoughts and questions:

What, if any, plans are in the works for the abandoned Va. Air National Guard facilities on the east side of the Richmond airport?

With Rolls Royce locating a plant in the area, could that be a another lure to some kind of International air service?

If International flights (and that's a big "IF") could be attracted, wouldn't they need some kind of hangar/maintenance facility? Would the old Air Nat'l Guard site be practical for such usage?

Since overseas service is usually provided on hugh planes, would they be able to taxi to a jetway, or would they have to be accessed by those rolling stairways?

Is there space in an existing RIC concourse for customs -- or perhaps in an enclosed space beneath?

I have seen some very large cargo planes at Richmond, so it logically follows that existing runways could handle 747's and the like. After all, the Queen arrived safely in her behemouth of a plane.

Burt's 2 cents thoughts for the day. :)

There is some sort of customs processing underneath the B Terminal, with escalators as access within. Being that I have not been through customs of any sort since I came here at age 2 and am unfamilar with the process, I am not sure if this is sufficient or not.

SKYBUS to add a daily flight from CMH/RIC/CMH on March 7th. So it will be possible to leave in the morning or evening from both airports.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...01-09-0227.html

And in another article I read in today's TD about the Pocahontas Pkwy (Rt. 895) raising its tolls by a quarter, it was mentioned that construction on the airport connector would begin this spring and be completed in 2010.

Edited by burt

SKYBUS to add a daily flight from CMH/RIC/CMH on March 7th. So it will be possible to leave in the morning or evening from both airports.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...01-09-0227.html

And in another article I read in today's TD about the Pocahontas Pkwy (Rt. 895) raising its tolls by a quarter, it was mentioned that construction on the airport connector would begin this spring and be completed in 2010.

Yeah, this is good news. Of course, this means that ridership is at the levels that warrant another flight. It also makes it nice for day trips and/or you don't have to wait until the next day if you missed the earlier flight to get to Richmond or Columbus. This just makes flying Skybus from Richmond more practical.

I flew into Richmond the other day for business. It's the first time I've seen the new terminal since it was done--I used to live there but they were still working on it when I left. I have to say I was quite impressed. I like how wide open it is. From the ticket counters to the security gates, it's definitely much bigger and brighter. Very clean design also. The use of brick and blue is good. Charlotte is going to be redoing their main terminal soon and I hope they incorporate some of these same qualities into their design.

I flew into Richmond the other day for business. It's the first time I've seen the new terminal since it was done--I used to live there but they were still working on it when I left. I have to say I was quite impressed. I like how wide open it is. From the ticket counters to the security gates, it's definitely much bigger and brighter. Very clean design also. The use of brick and blue is good. Charlotte is going to be redoing their main terminal soon and I hope they incorporate some of these same qualities into their design.

Thanks, dbull. It's wide and airy because they want to be ready for a huge surge in traffic. :):thumbsup:

Here's is Southwest's schedule of service as of May. Richmond is not on it -- but Eric, neither is Charlotte. Maybe local service really IS dependent upon when CLT lands Southwest. :)

http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/080109_chart.pdf

I stole this from Lexy's posting on Norfolk thread. :ph34r:

You're right Burt and I haven't heard any rumors lately that Southwest will even end up in Charlotte. All I know is that Jon Matheson said that Southwest coming to Richmond would depend on Charlotte landing Southwest first. I can't explain why that is, all I know is that was Matheson's evaluation of the situation a couple of years ago. Perhaps Lexy can explain what I cannot.

Edited by eandslee

You're right Burt and I haven't heard any rumors lately that Southwest will even end up in Charlotte. All I know is that Jon Matheson said that Southwest coming to Richmond would depend on Charlotte landing Southwest first. I can't explain why that is, all I know is that was Matheson's evaluation of the situation a couple of years ago. Perhaps Lexy can explain what I cannot.

Guys, I don't see Southwest starting any new cities this year at all. Right now, they are in a postiion of trying to maximize what they already have thanks to fuel prices and their hedges in that regard. And to the point about Southwest and Charlotte, I don't see how that would affect RIC in any way. If Southwest wants in Richmond, then they will show up there. Same with Charlotte.

To have Southwest in a market, they need to be able to handle about 20-25 flights a day minimum to roughly 6 different cities. If they went to RIC, service would most likely be to places like Baltimore, Orlando, Chicago, Nashville, Philadelphia, and Fort Lauderdale. This is hypothetical of course, but these are Focus Cities for Southwest that are close by to Richmond and would offer plenty of connection possiblities and would probably have sufficent O&D from RIC to exsist. Just my two pennies worth.

Based on what Lexy said above, I'd have to agree. Richmond and Charlotte aren't dependent upon one another for either one getting Southwest. If anything it would be based on the potential Delta/United or Northwest merger. That would free up some airspace and lessen the competition, especially on the East coast. If that does happen, which is likely, you may see Southwest expand into some new markets. I believe they just did some re-routing of their flights within their current markets, while not adding anyone new. Heck, I'd even settle for new JetBlue destinations as I'm sure you guys would too.

Based on what Lexy said above, I'd have to agree. Richmond and Charlotte aren't dependent upon one another for either one getting Southwest. If anything it would be based on the potential Delta/United or Northwest merger. That would free up some airspace and lessen the competition, especially on the East coast. If that does happen, which is likely, you may see Southwest expand into some new markets. I believe they just did some re-routing of their flights within their current markets, while not adding anyone new. Heck, I'd even settle for new JetBlue destinations as I'm sure you guys would too.

As Eric says, our airport manager (Mathiason) said sometime ago that Southwest would not enter the Richmond market until SW began service to CLT. So, that's what we have been basing our info on.

Anyway, we are expecting expanded Jet Blue service based on what a Jet Blue exec told a meeting of civic leaders here a few months ago. He said it is possible that the number of daily flights could be quadrupled.