Richmond International Airport

eandslee

As Eric says, our airport manager (Mathiason) said sometime ago that Southwest would not enter the Richmond market until SW began service to CLT. So, that's what we have been basing our info on.

Me personally, I just don't see how what goes on in CLT would have to do with anything in RIC. If anything, I can see it having an adverse affect on service in RIC in regards to Southwest. But like I said, I don't see them starting any new cities this year, or at the very least, the first half of 2008.

Lexy, dbull and others, do any of you know why there are no Southwest flights in and out of CLT?

Also, I wonder why there is no service on any airlines whatsoever beteeen RIC and RDU?

As far as Southwest flights at CLT, it's because they see no incentive to start service to and from there. Once they feel they can effectively make money at that airport, they will serve it no doubt. Having them at RDU could be a slight problem, but in this case I highly doubt it.

As for the RDU flights. It's not a hub and it won't get you anywhere you can't already get to from RIC. There's little point in flying a RDU-RIC flight because the O & D isn't there to support it.

Lexy, dbull and others, do any of you know why there are no Southwest flights in and out of CLT?

Also, I wonder why there is no service on any airlines whatsoever beteeen RIC and RDU?

First and foremost, Charlotte's hub status with US Airways makes it hard for too many new airlines to come in. They serve about 80% of the traffic here. Like Richmond we have both Airtran and JetBlue. But both those airlines overlap exisiting routes by USA. Though, I can't remember if USA serves Chicago Midway or not like Airtran does. I've always thought that Southwest would come to Charlotte to serve routes not supported by USA. Both Austin and San Antonio are good examples of this. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Philly and CLT don't serve Austin.

And Lexy hit the nail on the head, there's not enough O&D traffice to support a RDU/RIC route. Heck, you can drive either way in 2 hours :) If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a Norfolk/Richmond route at some point? I think it was pre-9/11

I hate to bring up old topics in this thread, but I got to playing with the Microsoft Virtual Earth (which I think is really cool) and reinvestigated the whole parallel runway issue for RIC. Based on the picture below, I see plenty of room for a parallel runway to the left of the existing runway at RIC. The new runway would have to go through a parking lot that was once used by the NG, but it appears to be totally "doable". The only thing I'm not sure of is how much of the land is owned by the airport. Anyway, take a look for yourself and tell me what you think. It just appears to me that if the airport need to eventually build a parallel runway, they'd be able to do it here:

RIC.png

Looks doable to me, Eric. but I would defer to expert opinion. I do recall a number of years ago there was talk of establishing a large airport either on the Peninsula or south of the James River to serve Richmond/Hampton Roads and the person who "controlled" the discussion dismissed it, saying (if I correctly recall) that a future runway extension at RIC would be sufficent for years to come for Central virginia.

So, apparently there's room to lengthen our 9000-footer.

I still wonder how the former Air National Guard facilities and land figure into future plans? Nobody, until quite recently, anticipated its move to Langley.

First and foremost, Charlotte's hub status with US Airways makes it hard for too many new airlines to come in. They serve about 80% of the traffic here. Like Richmond we have both Airtran and JetBlue. But both those airlines overlap exisiting routes by USA. Though, I can't remember if USA serves Chicago Midway or not like Airtran does. I've always thought that Southwest would come to Charlotte to serve routes not supported by USA. Both Austin and San Antonio are good examples of this. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Philly and CLT don't serve Austin.

And Lexy hit the nail on the head, there's not enough O&D traffice to support a RDU/RIC route. Heck, you can drive either way in 2 hours :) If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a Norfolk/Richmond route at some point? I think it was pre-9/11

If Southwest WERE in CLT and served Austin/San Antonio and points west, it follows logically in my mind that RIC and Southwest would want in on the action and succeed in getting it. I have faith in our airport manager's personal connections to SW execs. :) Someday, SW will fly in and out of RIC.

Richmond/Raleigh via I-85 is about two and a half hours drive time...that is, if posted speed limits are not exceeded.

I'm sure O&D refers to potential load factors, but what is its exact translation, please?

Looks doable to me, Eric. but I would defer to expert opinion. I do recall a number of years ago there was talk of establishing a large airport either on the Peninsula or south of the James River to serve Richmond/Hampton Roads and the person who "controlled" the discussion dismissed it, saying (if I correctly recall) that a future runway extension at RIC would be sufficent for years to come for Central virginia.

So, apparently there's room to lengthen our 9000-footer.

I still wonder how the former Air National Guard facilities and land figure into future plans? Nobody, until quite recently, anticipated its move to Langley.

I too remember reading that a while back. I also seem to recall that that the "future runway extension" would be for runway 2-20 (6600ft). There is really no need to extend 16-34 (9000ft)......... That runway can already accomodate the heavies.

I too remember reading that a while back. I also seem to recall that that the "future runway extension" would be for runway 2-20 (6600ft). There is really no need to extend 16-34 (9000ft)......... That runway can already accomodate the heavies.

A preliminary design was completed to extend Runway 16-34 to the south towards I-295. The final length was going to be 10,000 feet. The terminal project took priority and the extension was shelved. Now that the terminal project is complete, who knows if it will come back.

The current master plan for the Airport has a parallel runway to 16-34 planned. The runway would be on the other side of the railroad tracks and Charles City Road with a bridge over Pocahantas Parkway like the new Atlanta runway. RIC would have to more than double their traffic to justify the parallel.

PAVANC, welcome and thanks for your info. Eric will be as interested as I am about a possible parallel runway, even if we have to wait for traffic to double. :rolleyes:

It's confusing, though. I wish we could see a schematic or sketch or aerial. The new Pocahontas Pkwy Airport Connector will be 1.6 miles long from a new interchange to the terminal. Wouldn't Charles City Road and the CSX Mainline to Hampton Roads have to be bridged by the new runway?

Does the abandoned VNG facility fit into this plan?

Edited by burt

A preliminary design was completed to extend Runway 16-34 to the south towards I-295. The final length was going to be 10,000 feet. The terminal project took priority and the extension was shelved. Now that the terminal project is complete, who knows if it will come back.

The current master plan for the Airport has a parallel runway to 16-34 planned. The runway would be on the other side of the railroad tracks and Charles City Road with a bridge over Pocahantas Parkway like the new Atlanta runway. RIC would have to more than double their traffic to justify the parallel.

Ah ha! I knew there was a plan to build a parallel runway at one point, but I didn't know what had happened to the proposal. Thanks PAVANC for enlightening us on what actually happened. I'd very much like to see the parallel runway proposal resurrected. I realize that there would have to be a heck of a lot more traffic at the airport, but if the airport continues to grow like it has over the past few years, I don't think that doubling the amount of traffic at RIC would be too outlandish in several more years (maybe another 10 years). Therefore, I think that they need to bring that proposal back onto the table. I also realize that the airport is trying to improve other aspects about the airport such as parking and building the airport connector, etc., but I think they should, at least, have a parallel runway within the airport's "sight".

PAVANC, like Burt, I'd also like to see a rough schematic of the parallel runway that was originally proposed...if it's not too much trouble. Thanks again for the information you have graced us with! :thumbsup:

A few questions and comments:

What is the latest supposition on Delta's merger with either United or Northwest and how would such a merger affect the Central Virginia market?

Is Virgin Atlantic spawning a baby it will call Virgin America? If true, will Dulles become its east coast "focus city" to launch transcon service?

When will we see December as well as calendar year figures for traffic in and out of RIC? My guess for the year is 3,650,000.

Is anyone as surprised as I that Skybus is averaging 70% loads on its one daily roundtrip Richmond/Columbus flights? (See my post above dated 1/11/08 at 1:05pm.)

Virgin offers a good product. I've flown them on the way to the UK before. I heard the US carriers tried awfully hard to prevent Virgin America from taking off.

I think we'll see passenger numbers this week Burt. They aren't released publicly until they are presented at the monthly Capital Region Airport Commission meeting.

I think SkyBus adding that second flight should help them continue to perform well in and out of Richmond (70% seems pretty good).

It's rather odd that the Times Dispatch does not list Columbus among cities served from RIC in its "Snapshot of Air Fares" column, nor is Skybus even mentioned. Wonder if that deficiency will be corrected when the 2nd flight is added?

The column appears every Monday in the Business Supplement.

Not bad!!

- Toronto-Richmond (Virginia) - starting May 1, twice daily, year-round

non-stop service using a 37-seat, Jazz Dash 8 aircraft. It will be the

only non-stop service between the two cities and the only international

route out of Richmond. Flights will depart Toronto at 8:40am and

4:50 p.m., and will return from Richmond at 11:10 a.m. and 7:25 pm.

Richmond International will actually be international now!

Air Canada is starting flights from Toronto to Richmond starting May 1st!!

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/080124/e_aircdn_e..._serv.html?.v=1

Oh yeah, this is very good news! A new airline for RIC and we will officially be INTERNATIONAL again! These are small planes, but its a start in the right direction. I hope it is every bit of successful so that we can see even more international flights out of Richmond. A flight or 2 to Cancun would be pretty cool too, but the ultimate would be a flight to somewhere in Europe! Before we get flights to Europe though, I think its important to get direct flights to and from the west. A direct flight to and from Los Angeles would be nice! :)

So far, no mention of this news on the RIC website...interesting. The webmaster is usually pretty quick to announce the news on things like this!

Edited by eandslee

Oh yeah, this is very good news! A new airline for RIC and we will officially be INTERNATIONAL again! These are small planes, but its a start in the right direction. I hope it is every bit of successful so that we can see even more international flights out of Richmond. A flight or 2 to Cancun would be pretty cool too, but the ultimate would be a flight to somewhere in Europe! Before we get flights to Europe though, I think its important to get direct flights to and from the west. A direct flight to and from Los Angeles would be nice! :)

So far, no mention of this news on the RIC website...interesting. The webmaster is usually pretty quick to announce the news on things like this!

Good news for RIC!

Tough ride though for passengers TO and FROM RIC/Toronto....... 2 hrs in a 37 seat Dash-8 Turbo-prop with moderate mid-level winds............That will be fun!!!! :thumbsup:

If I'm not mistaken, Horizon Airlines and Alaska Airlines use these same aircraft a lot. I've never riden in one, but I'll take you guy's word for it about the bumpy ride! I would imagine that they are also loud because of the propellers, but not sure. I won't complain too much though because Air Canada could always upgrade the aircraft if it sees some good ridership. I'm hoping that is what happens. Below is what one looks like:

Dash8-2a.jpg

Edited by eandslee

Service will also begin May 1st between Austin and Toronto on what is described as two-class 75-seat Bombadier CRJ-705 Jazz Regional Aircraft.

Maybe O&D ( :) ) will grow sufficiently at RIC to upgrade service.

On another matter, we are still awaiting figures for 2007 at RIC.

Edited by burt

I was all set to book my travel from RIC to Maui for April on American. Alas, at some point between Wednesday night and last night, prices soared 280 dollars per person. Now we're heading to Raleigh.

Damn it! This is the kind of stuff that doesn't need to happen. Somehow RIC has to do a better job on checking prices and being competitive. Sorry you're going to have to fly to Raleigh. You should have booked it when the prices were good!

Damn it! This is the kind of stuff that doesn't need to happen. Somehow RIC has to do a better job on checking prices and being competitive. Sorry you're going to have to fly to Raleigh. You should have booked it when the prices were good!

I was waiting to finalize my lodging. I wasn't going to book airfare without being 100 percent certain about lodging. That was finalized Thursday. When I went to bed Wednesday, airfare was the price I had seen for 5 days. Last night, it had spiked up. It's a bummer.