Richmond International Airport

eandslee

For the first 2 months of the year RIA has 507,918 passengers while NIA has 491,987 passengers! I would think Norfolk would pull ahead over the summer months but who knows. This might be the year we overtake Norfolk! A lot of people are driving here from the Fredericksburg area that used to use Reagan and Dulles.

Edited by NYCJSW

I know a lot of airlines aren't looking to add new domestic service this year, but what new routes do people think would work from RIC? Personally, I think the following would work well:

RIC-Orlando on JetBlue

RIC-Milwaukee on AirTran

RIC-Salt Lake City on Delta

RIC-Phoenix on US Air

RIC-Denver on United

For the first 2 months of the year RIA has 507,918 passengers while NIA has 491,987 passengers! I would think Norfolk would pull ahead over the summer months but who knows. This might be the year we overtake Norfolk! A lot of people are driving here from the Fredericksburg area that used to use Reagan and Dulles.

I flew into the airport on Monday evening (on a completely packed flight on AA from Dallas) at 5PM and I've never seen it so busy. The atrium area was packed and there were ton's of people all over the place!

I know a lot of airlines aren't looking to add new domestic service this year, but what new routes do people think would work from RIC? Personally, I think the following would work well:

RIC-Orlando on JetBlue

RIC-Milwaukee on AirTran

RIC-Salt Lake City on Delta

RIC-Phoenix on US Air

RIC-Denver on United

It's tough to say, and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the airline industry to make a strong suggestion... but MicoMiles mentioned destination traffic (or something to that effect) out of Richmond... I guess we'd have to see which places Richmond doesn't have direct flights to and from but has a large number of folks that connect to get there... if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

It's tough to say, and I'm not knowledgeable enough on the airline industry to make a strong suggestion... but MicoMiles mentioned destination traffic (or something to that effect) out of Richmond... I guess we'd have to see which places Richmond doesn't have direct flights to and from but has a large number of folks that connect to get there... if that makes sense.

I just heard on my stop over in PHL that Skybus just called it quits!!!

...on a positive note... Construction for the new parking garage is set to begin in early May. Please see link to inrich article:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...04-12-0052.html

It would be nice to see a train line come into the airport area and connect north and south... anyone know how far away the current Amtrak line is from there?

A multi-modal transfer station would be a boon for the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Another record month for RIC. but...

Inrich article link:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...04-29-0186.html

A slowdown can be expected at RIC after the adjustments being made by carriers to cut service and numbers of flights into airports all over the country.

I believe Richmond, with just short of 308,000 flyers, was the third busiest airport in Virginia in March. Reagan Intn'l and Dulles were, of course, the leaders.

Edited by burt

I would guess that it is currently at its maximum in terms of walking-distance car parking, but that should be bumped up by almost 50% with the addition of the new garage. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if it could handle 450,000 without really showing the strain (assuming, of course, the number of flights likewise increases). I don't know anything about the satellite lots.

Edited by jbjust

Air Canada begins service today out of RIC to Toronto. There will be two daily flights in each direction. See story at inRich.

There is an updated story which reports that 18 passengers arrived on the first flight from Toronto and 10 boarded in RIC for its return to the Canadian city. The prop planes are quite small -- seating about 36.

Edited by burt

I was at RIC this past weekend and noticed the closure of the "loop around" back to the Main Terminal. The sign indicated its closure due to the North Parking Garage Expansion. In addition, I did see some equipment on the gravel lot of where the expansion is to take place.

Any official word on commencement of work?

Edited by Shakman

I was at RIC this past weekend and noticed the closure of the "loop around" back to the Main Terminal. The sign indicated its closure due to the North Parking Garage Expansion. In addition, I did see some equipment on the gravel lot of where the expansion is to take place.

Any official word on commencement of work?

I thought it was to begin this summer sometime - I think I remember that work was to begin either June or July, if I'm not mistaken.

This is random...

Today around 4:30 - 4:45 an employee of mine and I were outside and we saw a Southwest Airliner decending on RIC (we work right at Creighton Rd & I-295 so planes are pretty low at this point). In fact I even asked the guy if the tail of that plane read Southwest and he said it looked like it did to him and wondered if they were making an emergency landing. I didn't see anything in the news, so I don't know. But the plane we saw looked almost exactly like this. (note this is not the exact plane I saw, but what the plane I saw looked like).

Maybe I've confused it with something else, but I'm pretty sure it was a Southwest jet. Would the news report emergency landings? or does it depend on the nature of that landing?

This is random...

Today around 4:30 - 4:45 an employee of mine and I were outside and we saw a Southwest Airliner decending on RIC (we work right at Creighton Rd & I-295 so planes are pretty low at this point). In fact I even asked the guy if the tail of that plane read Southwest and he said it looked like it did to him and wondered if they were making an emergency landing. I didn't see anything in the news, so I don't know. But the plane we saw looked almost exactly like this. (note this is not the exact plane I saw, but what the plane I saw looked like).

Maybe I've confused it with something else, but I'm pretty sure it was a Southwest jet. Would the news report emergency landings? or does it depend on the nature of that landing?

That is weird. Sometimes Northwest airplanes sort of look like Southwest planes from a distance (not saying what you saw was Northwest, but I can see how someone might make that mistake). I doubt it's true, but perhaps this is a sign that Southwest is finally coming to Richmond (I can dream can't I)! Honestly, at this point, I don't think any of the airlines are thinking about expanding or adding additional routes...unless they end up reworking some unprofitable routes so that the end result is a route that is more profitable. Anyway, just so you know - out of all the airlines out there right now I believe that Southwest Airlines is doing the best. According to an article I read not too long ago, Southwest has hedged its fuel perchases and is still paying for fuel at the $2.50/gallon or so range while other airlines are paying well over $3.00/gallon for fuel. This bodes very well for Southwest and might be important as times get rough ahead. Many of the other airlines are doing many things to cut services to customers just to save a little bit of cash - I even read that airlines are extending their flight times and flying at slower speeds to save fuel (only turns out to be a few to several minutes longer, but apparently it's making a difference). Southwest seems to be the only airline that isn't going to great lengths to eliminate a ton of services to customers (probably because it was "stripped down" as far as services go to begin with), but that just goes to show that their business structure is right on target. I'd like to see Richmond land Southwest. Who knows what will happen in such a volatile industry, especially as of late. Heck, you never know...next year at this time RIC could be the hub for a new successful airline (albeit a small chance)! It all depends on what the market does. In a market like the one we are witnessing today, anything can happen.

This is random...

You saw correctly. It was a Southwest Military Charter from Gulfport/Biloxi. Southwest 7000 flight numbers are reserved for military charters. It flew back to Dallas Love empty (5 Crew).

================================

SWA7341

Southwest Airlines Co. "Southwest" (Dallas, TX)

Aircraft Boeing 737-700 (twin-jet) (B737/L)

Departure: Wed 02:15PM CDT

Arrival: Wed 04:55PM EDT

Origin Gulfport-Biloxi Intl (KGPT)

Destination Richmond Intl (KRIC)

Route SJI J37 MGM LGC ATL SPA J14

Date Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Duration 1 hour 40 minutes

Status Arrived over 6 hours ago

SWA8681

Southwest Airlines Co. "Southwest" (Dallas, TX)

Aircraft Boeing 737-700 (twin-jet) (B737/L)

Departure: Wed 06:02PM EDT

Arrival: Wed 07:59PM CDT

Origin Richmond Intl (KRIC)

Destination Dallas Love Field (KDAL)

Route YEAST1 LYH PSK J22 VUZ JAN AEX IDU CWK JEN8

Date Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Duration 2 hours 57 minutes

Currently in Norfolk for the night. Late morning flight back to CLT.