Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I was driving by the airport today and saw something unique. Does anyone know why an Air Force Boeing C-32 was practicing touch and go's at RIC today? In case anyone doesn't know what it looks like here it is (It's like a 757)...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/B...next_id=1336487

That I've seen done quite often. The military practices touch and go with several large aircraft at various times throughout the year. I've watched one morning as one of those huge cargo planes kept circling around doing touch and go, it's crazy when that thing comes in over Williamsburg Road.

That I've seen done quite often. The military practices touch and go with several large aircraft at various times throughout the year. I've watched one morning as one of those huge cargo planes kept circling around doing touch and go, it's crazy when that thing comes in over Williamsburg Road.

Funny that you said that because I was back by the airport today driving down Williamsburg Road and a KC-10 flew right over me. Talk about a monster. I saw it circle for multiple touch and go's as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard yesterday that JetBlue may cut 5 cities from their schedules. RIC was mentioned on the list. Loads in and out of RIC are not doing very well. RIC is not the only city having problems filling the JB aircrafts.

I will let you all know what I find out.

All the airlines are tightening up their belts once again because of high fuel prices!! I would not be surprised if the airline I fly for and others will follow AA's baggage charge.

That would suck, especially considering JetBlue is reporting double-digit passenger growth this year at RIC compared to 2007. March reflected a 15% jump.

If JB is doing that well, then I have no concerns about JB leaving.

MicroMiles - Where did you hear this?

If JB is doing that well, then I have no concerns about JB leaving.

MicroMiles - Where did you hear this?

From a buddy of mine who also flies the r/s of a JB A320. He said that JB was working on cutting back and discontinuing various cities on their network. He heard around 5-7 cities were slated to be axed. I asked about RIC and he said he thought he heard Richmond as well. He definitely heard Jacksonville and Pittsburgh.

Just today, JB announced today that they will be discontinuing their Salt Lake City - Burbank and San Francisco effective July 7.

Don't be surprised to see JetBlue cut back (or even pull out) of Richmond along with some other cities. Airtran has been cutting back service here in Charlotte. They just got rid of the Chicago/Midway route and are cutting back on Orlando. Heck we may lose JB, who knows. I hate to see any airport lose a low cost carrier b/c it just hurts us consumers in the end. Richmond became such a better airport b/c of JB and AT. Even with great O/D numbers, oil prices are killing all the airlines...

BTW - Shakman, it took me a second but I got your signature... Too funny.

Edited by dbull75

From a buddy of mine who also flies the r/s of a JB A320. He said that JB was working on cutting back and discontinuing various cities on their network. He heard around 5-7 cities were slated to be axed. I asked about RIC and he said he thought he heard Richmond as well. He definitely heard Jacksonville and Pittsburgh.

Just today, JB announced today that they will be discontinuing their Salt Lake City - Burbank and San Francisco effective July 7.

It also announced yesterday new JB service between Long Beach (LA) and Dulles...2 daily flights in each direction. So they're adding at the same time they're eliminating destinations.

Conflicting reports are emerging about JB load factors at RIC.

No offense to you airlines people, but with rising gas prices that are not likely to drop, why isn't high speed rail getting priority attention from the Feds and states? Southeast High Speed Rail extending from Washington via Richmond, Raleigh and Greensboro to Charlotte should be fast-tracked, IMO.

Edited by burt

It also announced yesterday new JB service between Long Beach (LA) and Dulles...2 daily flights in each direction. So they're adding at the same time they're eliminating destinations.

Conflicting reports are emerging about JB load factors at RIC.

No offense to you airlines people, but with rising gas prices that are not likely to drop, why isn't high speed rail getting priority attention from the Feds and states? Southeast High Speed Rail extending from Washington via Richmond, Raleigh and Greensboro to Charlotte should be fast-tracked, IMO.

Burt,

Airlines will cut services to cities where revenue is not being made and transition the planes to more profitable routes or apply them to new routes where demand exists. I think the BUR-IAD route will be profitable for JB. As far as JetBlue passenger loads for RIC, I have heard that the loads were OK. If loads were spectacular at RIC, JB would have already made an equipment change to the A320 on some of their RIC E190 routes. Sold out flights do not always equate to revenue for an airline when seats are sold for dirt cheap! Remember Skybus?

Edited by MicoMiles

Burt,

Airlines will cut services to cities where revenue is not being made and transition the planes to more profitable routes or apply them to new routes where demand exists. I think the LGB-IAD route will be profitable for JB. As far as JetBlue passenger loads for RIC, I have heard that the loads were OK. If loads were spectacular at RIC, JB would have already made an equipment change to the A320 on some of their RIC E190 routes. Sold out flights do not always equate to revenue for an airline when seats are sold for dirt cheap! Remember Skybus?

IAD to Long Beach, CA is not a new flight.

IAD to Burbank, CA is a new flight which inaugurated yesterday.

You are correct.... I should have stated BUR-IAD. Change made.

Ooops. So should I, Shak.

Thanks for clarification about RIC JB passenger volume. I got the impression from your first message that the Embraer craft were flying half-empty.

I still want to see high speed rail...not as a replacement, but as a suplemental carrier. Besides I like trains. :thumbsup:

I guess we all knew it was inevitable in this economy. RIC, for the first time in 3 years, reports a drop in passenger volume for April:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...05-27-0150.html

I have heard of the same story at a number of other airports. At least it is safe to say it's not just RIC.

Here's today's in-Rich follow-up story by Peter Bacque on the April 4% decline in passenger traffic at RIC. Note that despite the lower figure, Jet Blue showed a 21.8% increase as did Northwest with 14.4%. American, with its massive shutdown mid-month, was the big loser. The month of May, thus far, is running neck-to-neck with same-month figures for a year ago.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...05-28-0069.html

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

RIC will and is experiencing some flight cut-backs. But Troy Bell is reported as saying RIC "...may see much less of an impact from the airlines than other airports across the country because it has a higher-than-average percentage of business travelers."

Read today's inRich story here:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-05-0044.html

Edited by burt

Hey! Shak's posting above from inRich about Air Tran innaugerating two daily flights RIC/LGA is terrific -- especially in these times of cut-backs. I wonder if and how it will affect Jet Blue on the RIC/JFK route?

Doesn't Air Tran fly bigger jets than JB's Embraer?

Edited by burt

Hey! Shak's posting above from inRich about Air Tran innaugerating two daily flights RIC/LGA is terrific -- especially in these times of cut-backs. I wonder if and how it will affect Jet Blue on the RIC/JFK route?

Doesn't Air Tran fly bigger jets than JB's Embraer?

E-190's can hold about 100. B-717's hold about the same. I am not even sure if AirTran will be using the B-717's or B-737's on this route.

E-190's can hold about 100. B-717's hold about the same. I am not even sure if AirTran will be using the B-717's or B-737's on this route.

"Booty" Armstrong is quoted in the story as saying "...provides an attractive mix of award winning service, affordable fares and FULLSIZED AIRCRAFT on one of our most important business routes."