Richmond International Airport

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

I read on airportbusiness.com that Delta will discontinue service from RIC to MCO (Orlando).

Excert from the airportbusiness.com article:

"...Delta's newest cancellations include nonstop flights from Orlando to Columbus, Ohio; Key West; Knoxville, Tenn.; Louisville, Ky.; Panama City; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; and Richmond, Va. No other airline currently flies between OIA and Knoxville or Panama City."

Link for the full aticle:

http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/arti...=1&id=20655

Edited by Shakman

I read on airportbusiness.com that Delta will discontinue service from RIC to MCO (Orlando).

Excert from the airportbusiness.com article:

Link for the full aticle:

http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/arti...=1&id=20655

I think Air Tran flies RIC/OIA (Orlando), doesn't it? But that airline is talking about cutting back as well and says it may end service to some cities and will be selling 8 of its aircraft. I hope the recent announcement that Air Tran will add 2 daily RT's RIC/LGA is an indication that it will stick around. RIC is fortunate among medium-sized airports in that it has sustainable traffic from business travelers. The leisure market isn't so blessed.

I think Air Tran flies RIC/OIA (Orlando), doesn't it? But that airline is talking about cutting back as well and says it may end service to some cities and will be selling 8 of its aircraft. I hope the recent announcement that Air Tran will add 2 daily RT's RIC/LGA is an indication that it will stick around. RIC is fortunate among medium-sized airports in that it has sustainable traffic from business travelers. The leisure market isn't so blessed.

AirTran does fly between RIC and OIA.

...Did Orlando's designation change from MCO?

AirTran does fly between RIC and OIA.

...Did Orlando's designation change from MCO?

I think Orlando has two airports. I picked up the OIA from the article you sited, Shack, Orlando International Airport. But there is another landing field that serves the area. Which one is the major port? I have flown in and out of MCO which far surpasses traffic in and out of RIC.

Orlando has two airports: Orlando International and Orlando Sanford. According to Orlando Interantional Airport's website, it is still MCO.

I wonder who else will make cuts from RIC. Let us not forget that flights have also been recently added out of RIC.

More good news for RIC. Free parking will be extended from 30 minutes to an hour.

inrich.com link:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-24-0185.html

...and here is where they make it up... The Economy Lot rates will increase by a dollar.

I think the above makes sense. No complaints from Shaka - laka -land. ^_^

Now US Airways may scale back service to RIC. It is currently unknown which routes will see reduction(s) in service. This is according to an airportbusiness.com article on US Airways scaling back at ORF. RIC, along with Newport News, is mentioned on page 3 of the article.

Link to article:

http://www.airportbusiness.com/web/online/...lk/1$20790

At least we know it is not just RIC. I hope to see service restored once all of this blows over... ...it could be a while.

Now US Airways may scale back service to RIC. It is currently unknown which routes will see reduction(s) in service. This is according to an airportbusiness.com article on US Airways scaling back at ORF. RIC, along with Newport News, is mentioned on page 3 of the article.

Link to article:

http://www.airportbusiness.com/web/online/...lk/1$20790

At least we know it is not just RIC. I hope to see service restored once all of this blows over... ...it could be a while.

Maybe I'm misreading part of this story, but I didn't see where USAir will definitely cut flights at this time in and out of ORF (or RIC for that matter). Just that curbside services are being eliminated at ORF. And, of course, the fact that Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond airports are among 50 that MAY lose flights due to the fuel situation is very disquieting. How can we access the source of that news?

The Feds and States better get off their butts and start planning for high speed rail!!!

Maybe I'm misreading part of this story, but I didn't see where USAir will definitely cut flights at this time in and out of ORF (or RIC for that matter). Just that curbside services are being eliminated at ORF. And, of course, the fact that Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond airports are among 50 that MAY lose flights due to the fuel situation is very disquieting. How can we access the source of that news?

The Feds and States better get off their butts and start planning for high speed rail!!!

Flight reduction, as well as curb side services, was my interpretation of article. I checked US Airways website and there was no mention of even ORF.

I read an article somewhere that the Feds have provided funds for some sort of study for a maglev rail. For some reason Pittsburgh, PA was mentioned in the article. If I find it, I will post a link.

The way the airline industry is being trounced, I may get depressed seeing the May figures.

I'll bet you a quarter they are up from May a year ago. April was down partially due to the Americn Airlines shut down. But then, the departure of Skybus may impact May figures, in which case I'll lose my bet.

Wonder why the numbers haven't been posted at inRich?

Traffic was down 2.3% in May, largely attributed to Skybus. It was tucked into an article on parking. Given the economy and turmoil in the airline industry, airport officials expect a 6-8% drop in passenger loads this year.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-...06-25-0064.html

Mmmmm. How did I miss that inRich story? OK, Shak. I'm in debt to you. Don't spend that quarter all in one place. :lol:

Mmmmm. How did I miss that inRich story? OK, Shak. I'm in debt to you. Don't spend that quarter all in one place. :lol:

I was hoping to use it towards a slot machine in AC. If I am lucky, my earnings can help pay down some debt. ;)

I read an article in airportbusiness.com that a number of US airports will see about a 10% reduction in passenger volume from the previous year.

Did nnyone else notice that construction for the new parking garage is well underway? Foundation work is on going.

Wow! That was fast! If I remember correctly, they just approved of this project a month or so ago. Glad to see that they are full speed ahead. Now if we can just get more flights and more airlines to fly in, we can get some more gates built too!

Looks like they put this article in the newspaper because I think leaders at RIC could be getting worried that load numbers for JetBlue are not high enough (indicated at the end of the article) and don't want JetBlue or AirTran to leave Richmond. AirTran's percentage load numbers appear to be right on the company's average (78% against the company average of 79% - not good enough if we want AirTran to expand its service here) and JetBlue's percentage load numbers are 11 percentage points below the company average (not good)! My assessment is that the article below was a form of advertisement for the low cost carriers at RIC and also a wake up call (again) to those in the Richmond market to say, "Hey, you'd better use these airlines or else they will leave the market!" Check it out for yourself:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...07-14-0115.html

Edited by eandslee

http://richmondbizsense.com/big-biz/13-big...to-orlando.html

JetBlue to add direct flights to Orlando from Richmond beginning September...

After reading the article, eandslee recent post no longer worries me.

(No offense eandslee. ^_^)

JetBlue will use the E-190 on this route. Link to JetBlue Press Release article (note the article states that service will begin on November 2, 2008):

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

After reading the article, eandslee recent post no longer worries me.

(No offense eandslee. ^_^)

JetBlue will use the E-190 on this route. Link to JetBlue Press Release article (note the article states that service will begin on November 2, 2008):

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?...&highlight=

No offense taken, but go figure, huh?! <_< This is good news, but based on the passenger load numbers, it didn't seem likely to happen. Oh well, I still think that RIC leadership is wanting people to keep RIC in mind when they make their travel plans so that we don't end up losing these airlines. I'm glad this announcement came out. I didn't mean to create an atmosphere of gloom and doom, but that's what I got from the article. :dontknow:

I don't know how significant it may be, but I scanned every state on the USA Today chart in the posting above and only Richmond among airports handling between 3 and 4 million annually anticipates a comparable increase (3.2%) in available seats by November of this year.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly and missing out on other factors, it looks like good news to me for RIC.