Richmond International Airport

eandslee

A couple of follow ups:

• On the web site, I do plan to add more images of the airport. While we would focus on the new structure, we have seen some historic images worthy of inclusion as well - once we have permission to use them. Some will appear in a media section of the site. The web cam suggestion is not likely to be adopted anytime soon due to concerns noted above and budget restrictions. We are also developing a mobile version so that the site has some usefulness to those using PDAs. It will include arrivals, departures, airline, parking, services (such as free WiFi) info, and airport contact links.
  • Aggressively marketing the airport via the web site - the main thrust will remain as a public information portal, but we will continue to roll in additional features - and perhaps some occasional incentives - via this media. Again, take a moment to subscribe to the OnTime newsletter, it goes out to several thousand registered subscribers each month, and there is no charge.
  • No need to apologize for anything.
  • While there is still work to be done, the progress made at RIC has been accomplished only through the "all in" involvement of many others. Citing a few: the Greater Richmond Chamber, the Greater Richmond Partnership, our Air Service Task Force, Friends of RIC, Richmond Metro CVB, and many, many Federal, State, and local officials. We have worked on many projects, and I don't think many stones have been left unturned.
  • Twinz - thank you for the kind remarks about your recent airport experience.
  • Salt Lake City's DMA pop is about 2.7 million, about double RIC's 1.4 million.

I will pop in periodically, and again appreciate the interest in RIC expressed in this forum. Thanks, again.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

This is my first post on your forum but, having recently flown through RIC, I just wanted to congratulate you guys on a beautiful airport. I've been there before and I have to say the new terminal is a vast improvement and is truly world class. I also think the new website is great; professional and easy to navigate.

I also would like to echo sentiments expressed by Burt and Eandslee. I didn't know how to highlight your quotes but I agree with both. I don't think RIC needs to necessarily focus on being a hub. The current economic climate is hurting hubs such as Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Memphis, etc. However, metro Richmond is large enough to be a focus city and it does seem that civic leaders need to grow in their thinking just as the city is growing. Salt Lake City is just one example of a city that is the same size as Richmond, yet has managed to carve out and support a facility that larger cities envy. I agree with Micomiles that a hub can actually hurt in some ways because the dominant airline discourages competition. However, by aggressively marketing RIC as an attractive alternative airport to the chaos of Dulles, for example, RIC could see an even greater increase in passenger numbers. It wasn't that long ago that RIC only dreamed of having 3 million passengers a year.

I think the fact that airlines continue to add flights in RIC, while they are dramatically cutting service in other cities, speaks volumes about the potential of this market. As Burt said, this is not the time to be complacent and go with the flow. Sorry if this was too long.

Thanks,Twinz for stressing the word "aggressively."

I don't know anyone who has fond memories of Byrd Field. In fact, I think most would agree that Richmond's airport was an embarrassment until the spanking new world-class terminal came on line. When people take pride in a transportation facility, they also want to take pride in the service it provides.

I admit to ignorance about the discussion of O&D markets. If LAS, DEN, TPA, LAX and PHX rank 6th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 15th, doesn't that mean Richmond NEEDS service to those cities? SW provides daily flights to LAS from ORF. Why cannot Jet Blue, with strong local encouragement, inaugerate flights from RIC to LAS and compete with the Hampton Roads area for this business?

I certainly do not wish to appear disparaging about operations at RIC. They are handled by true, intelligent professionals who, indisputably, know what they are doing. It's just that some of us impatient ones wish they were a little less cautious and more adventurous at times.

Thanks,Twinz for stressing the word "aggressively."

I don't know anyone who has fond memories of Byrd Field. In fact, I think most would agree that Richmond's airport was an embarrassment until the spanking new world-class terminal came on line. When people take pride in a transportation facility, they also want to take pride in the service it provides.

I certainly do not wish to appear disparaging about operations at RIC. They are handled by true, intelligent professionals who, indisputably, know what they are doing. It's just that some of us impatient ones wish they were a little less cautious and more adventurous at times.

Very well said, Burt. We definitely are grateful for the leaders we have at the airport and for the accomplishments they have made; for rising the airport out from the dust! I think that the resurrecting our once dead airport has generated a lot of interest from the citizens in and around Richmond - a very good thing! People are beginning to take notice, are beginning to use the airport more often, and most of all, feel proud of such a facility! I still think there is some work to be done on getting the word out about the airport, but it will happen!

I am reminded of another question regarding the airport we have had in the past that perhaps flack4ric could answer for us. The question relates to our current runways. Are there any plans for either extending one of the runways or even building another (parallel) runway even in the distant future? If so, is the layout of our runways and land we own such that a parallel runway would be out of the question? If not, where might one be built? We have debated this question a whole lot on this forum (it's probably more for fun than practicality at this point, but I thought it might be interesting to get a viewpoint from someone at RIC).

Very well said, Burt. We definitely are grateful for the leaders we have at the airport and for the accomplishments they have made; for rising the airport out from the dust! I think that the resurrecting our once dead airport has generated a lot of interest from the citizens in and around Richmond - a very good thing! People are beginning to take notice, are beginning to use the airport more often, and most of all, feel proud of such a facility! I still think there is some work to be done on getting the word out about the airport, but it will happen!

I am reminded of another question regarding the airport we have had in the past that perhaps flack4ric could answer for us. The question relates to our current runways. Are there any plans for either extending one of the runways or even building another (parallel) runway even in the distant future? If so, is the layout of our runways and land we own such that a parallel runway would be out of the question? If not, where might one be built? We have debated this question a whole lot on this forum (it's probably more for fun than practicality at this point, but I thought it might be interesting to get a viewpoint from someone at RIC).

A couple of follow ups:

• On the web site, I do plan to add more images of the airport. While we would focus on the new structure, we have seen some historic images worthy of inclusion as well - once we have permission to use them. Some will appear in a media section of the site. The web cam suggestion is not likely to be adopted anytime soon due to concerns noted above and budget restrictions. We are also developing a mobile version so that the site has some usefulness to those using PDAs. It will include arrivals, departures, airline, parking, services (such as free WiFi) info, and airport contact links.
  • Aggressively marketing the airport via the web site - the main thrust will remain as a public information portal, but we will continue to roll in additional features - and perhaps some occasional incentives - via this media. Again, take a moment to subscribe to the OnTime newsletter, it goes out to several thousand registered subscribers each month, and there is no charge.
  • No need to apologize for anything.
  • While there is still work to be done, the progress made at RIC has been accomplished only through the "all in" involvement of many others. Citing a few: the Greater Richmond Chamber, the Greater Richmond Partnership, our Air Service Task Force, Friends of RIC, Richmond Metro CVB, and many, many Federal, State, and local officials. We have worked on many projects, and I don't think many stones have been left unturned.
  • Twinz - thank you for the kind remarks about your recent airport experience.
  • Salt Lake City's DMA pop is about 2.7 million, about double RIC's 1.4 million.

I will pop in periodically, and again appreciate the interest in RIC expressed in this forum. Thanks, again.

flack4ric

I just wanted to comment on the pop figures you mentioned for Salt Lake City. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention the DMA population. However, according to the US Census, metro Richmond is larger than metro Salt Lake. Richmond is ranked 43rd with a pop. of 1,212,977 (2007) and Salt Lake is ranked 48th with a pop. of 1,099,973. Having been to Salt Lake a number of times, I can assure you the two areas are comparable and Salt Lake has nowhere near 2.7 million people. I don't know if the state of Utah has that many.

Regardless, I think the work you guys have done and continue to do is great. I meant what I said about my experience. I think RIC is one of the nicest airports in the country.

I just wanted to comment on the pop figures you mentioned for Salt Lake City. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you mention the DMA population.

DMA = Designated market areas, similar to SMSA (standard metropolitan statistical areas as defined by the Federal OMB). It is a more comprehensive measure of metro area population, and takes into account media markets, business relationships, commute patterns, and reflects airport service areas better than subjective census boundaries. Without drilling down into census data, my guess is that some outlying communities around Salt Lake are counted as separate units by the census. However, as far as airport use, they would generally be inclined to use the closest airport with substantial service, in this case SLC, thus the use of DMAs or SMSAs for approximate estimation of airport service areas. My source is the Community Sourcebook, 19th Edition, published annually by ESRI.

It seems as though the fond memories of Byrd Field are more of a nostalgic reference to aviation's Golden Era, and a reference to times when the world was seemingly a safer place. Years ago, meeters and greeters could hang out right next to the aircraft arrival area, and watch loved ones deplane (sans jetways). Not the case prior to 9/11, and certainly not since.

Runway plans? The Master Plan update (in progress) will provide some insight into development options. Last year the airport had about 130-135k operations, but a capacity of over 225k. Planning and adding additional capacity will be triggered by demand levels in the future.

ORF & LAS: Think 1-2 punch. Good leisure (like Richmond) demand supported by east-west US Navy personnel relocation (unique to a very few locations across the US, such as ORF and SAN) using LAS as a connex or through point.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

Flack: My brain is fuzzy on this, but I believe a couple of decades ago there was an airport Czar who had a definitive say on what happend at RIC in-so-far as runways and expansion were concerned. Some proponents expressed a desire to add a runway, or lenthen the existing one at RIC. But the Czar put the kabash on that hope, arguing the potential for a Regional mega-port somewhere on the Peninsula to serve Richmond and Hampton Roads was the more logical plan.

Am I making this up? If not, what has happened to the Mega-port idea? Also, what happened to the Czar?

Flack: My brain is fuzzy on this, but I believe a couple of decades ago there was an airport Czar who had a definitive say on what happend at RIC in-so-far as runways and expansion were concerned. Some proponents expressed a desire to add a runway, or lenthen the existing one at RIC. But the Czar put the kabash on that hope, arguing the potential for a Regional mega-port somewhere on the Peninsula to serve Richmond and Hampton Roads was the more logical plan.

Am I making this up? If not, what has happened to the Mega-port idea? Also, what happened to the Czar?

burt, the whole issue was before my arrival in Richmond, but this is clearly a reference to the Isle of Wight study for a mega-airport to serve central and southeast Virginia. Interesting study, but detractors included airlines (not interested in helping to pay the assumed mega-tab), existing airports, and consumers and local businesses, most of whom would face a substantially lengthened commute for air service access.

I do not know the identities of the champion or chief detractor of this study. Two of the three airports, and the Virginia Department of Aviation, have had leadership changes since its publication.

flack4ric

Great question Burt! I forgot all about this plan, but thank goodness the plan failed. I don't think I would have liked such a plan. What needs to happen, I believe, is that one of the airports between Richmond, Williamsburg, and Norfolk needs to come out on top and become the dominate one or else all three airport will remain relatively small since people in the area will divide up between the three. Of course, I'm hoping that the dominate one is RIC.

Flack4ric, thanks for the response to Burt's quesion, but you didn't answer his question regarding the added runway proposal (unless you are unaware of what it was and couldn't comment). I thought for sure there was a runway extension, at the very least, in Richmond's near future. All of this surfaced in the mid 1990s if I'm not mistaken. I know our longest runway is a little over 9,000 feet, but it not really that wide (150 feet - I don't know whether width makes a diffence for larger aircraft - I would think that it does). Most flights coming in and out of RIC appear to use the medium length runway (runway 20/2) at 6,607ft.

Great question Burt! I forgot all about this plan, but thank goodness the plan failed. I don't think I would have liked such a plan. What needs to happen, I believe, is that one of the airports between Richmond, Williamsburg, and Norfolk needs to come out on top and become the dominate one or else all three airport will remain relatively small since people in the area will divide up between the three. Of course, I'm hoping that the dominate one is RIC.

Technically, PHF and ORF are both Hampton Roads airports. Both serve civilian and military passenger traffic (Norfolk Naval Base, Oceana Naval Air Station, Langley AFB, Fort Eustis and Fort Story).

I don't know much about aircraft, but each time I'm in Richmond I drive around the airport. Entering the area from Charles City Road (which, I assume, will parallel the Rt. 895 extension) there has always been at least one giant sized plane parked in the cargo area. My point being that existing runway(s) must be adequate in length and width. The Queen's behemouth had no trouble approaching, landing and departing.

Also, Flack: My reference to the mega port was to discussions prior to Isle of Wight. The Czar's idea was for a huge landing field on the Peninsula roughly between West Point and Williamsburg. I recall wondering how suich a location would benefit South Hampton Roads. Later, speculation moved to Isle of Wight County south of the James. Now, as you pointed out, it appears the whole idea is defunct.

Flack4ric, thanks for the response to Burt's quesion, but you didn't answer his question regarding the added runway proposal (unless you are unaware of what it was and couldn't comment).

This is the 16/34 parallel runway option included with the old Master Plan.

gallery_21276_22_7596.jpg

This concept (yellow bar with RPZ trapezoids at each end) is not a good option today for several reasons:

• Intersected by Route 895
  • CSX rail line stands between this runway and the terminal
  • Very long taxi times
  • Expensive, not eligible for FAA funding (since last Master Plan update)

The Master Plan update in progress will address at least one workable, fundable option. As far as a runway extension of existing RWY 16/34, there is presently no need based on aircraft scheduled today or likely to schedule in the near term, plus several engineering and funding challenges exist here as well.

The larger aircraft spotted when entering from Charles City Road are typically A300 series freighters operated by FedEx or UPS.

South Airport Drive and the Airport Connector off of Route 895 will essentially operate as one contiguous road for travelers to/from the south. The graphic at http://www.pocahontas895.com/development/a...ad_project.html shows the Parkway's connector (purple dashed line) terminating on the north end (larger purple dot endpoint). This is where the 895 Airport Connector meets South Airport Drive at Charles City Road. The on-airport project will be done later this year, Henrico's intersection improvements and Route 895's connector to follow.

I have no familiarity with any mega-port concepts predating Isle of Wight. It would be fascinating to find documents on this.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

I don't know much about aircraft, but each time I'm in Richmond I drive around the airport. Entering the area from Charles City Road (which, I assume, will parallel the Rt. 895 extension) there has always been at least one giant sized plane parked in the cargo area. My point being that existing runway(s) must be adequate in length and width. The Queen's behemouth had no trouble approaching, landing and departing.

Also, Flack: My reference to the mega port was to discussions prior to Isle of Wight. The Czar's idea was for a huge landing field on the Peninsula roughly between West Point and Williamsburg. I recall wondering how suich a location would benefit South Hampton Roads. Later, speculation moved to Isle of Wight County south of the James. Now, as you pointed out, it appears the whole idea is defunct.

What you are seeing is a FedEx A-300. As a commercial aircraft, it is a wide body. American is the only US airliner that flies the A-300 as part of their scheduled commercial service. The last I knew, UPS flew a 752 to RIC.

Edited by Shakman

From July landing reports, the dominant aircraft for FedEx operations at RIC is A310. 727s and A300s are part of the FedEx mix as well.

For UPS, 757s and A300s are the two aircraft types in use at RIC.

flack4ric

When does the UPS A300 depart?

Edited by Shakman

From July landing reports, the dominant aircraft for FedEx operations at RIC is A310. 727s and A300s are part of the FedEx mix as well.

flack4ric

(double post)

Edited by Shakman

flack4ric

(triple post) :P

Edited by Shakman

This is the 16/34 parallel runway option included with the old Master Plan.

gallery_21276_22_7596.jpg

Boy, I can see why this runway option is not viable - it's way out there; far away from the terminal. You'd almost have to take a flight to that runway! :D So does this mean that there is no other option and RIC is "land locked" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to any plans for runway expansion (e.g. adding another runway one day)?

Also, are there any plans in the near future to expand concourse A (I know this has a lot to do with space and the need for it. Considering that we just expanded concourse B not too long ago a concourse A expansion might be a while from now)?

Also noticed a lot of cancelled flights today...due to whether up in the northeast I suppose. :(

Boy, I can see why this runway option is not viable - it's way out there; far away from the terminal. You'd almost have to take a flight to that runway! :D So does this mean that there is no other option and RIC is "land locked" (for lack of a better term) when it comes to any plans for runway expansion (e.g. adding another runway one day)?

RIC has options. I believe the Master Plan update - not likely published until early '09 - will offer some detail. While it's not a huge consideration today with RIC about 100k annual ops under its Annual Service Volume, the airport certainly wants options going forward.

Concourse A is the next gate expansion area, driven totally by demand. Concepts generally show a mirror image of the B Concourse expansion.

Weather in N'East has not helped performance today. Nine cancellations (out of ~200 flights), 3 between RIC & CLT, all others to northeast - per air carrier updates in the FIDs system.

Shak - I don't have a specific schedule for cargo ops. Generally, most cargo flights are early AM and late PM.

flack4ric

BRAC expansion at nearby Ft. Lee may result in attracting new flights to RIC. Potentially, a lot of flyers could be culled from 35,000 personnel and families at the important base.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-17-0233.html

Be sure to check out the video accompanying the story.

Edited by burt

burt - great link, thanks for posting it. This is exactly the kind of development information (like MeadWestvaco, PMUSA/Altria, Infineon, Genworth, CapOne, etc.) that air carriers value. Unless someone brings it their attention, they don't generally pick it up in the course of normal market monitoring activities.

Ft. Lee's BRAC benefit has been pointed out to air carriers for about a year, nice to be able to send an update from the RTD.

flack4ric

Oops. Totally forgot about that promise. The flight up there was the last of the day to leave on time because of the severe thunderstorms in NY on Friday. I understand that some of the later AirTran flights didn't land at LGA until well after midnight. I chatted with an AirTran employee who mentioned that JetBlue has been canceling a lot of their flights to JFK lately for no apparent reason -- I hope that's not a bad sign.

The flights up and back were absolutely packed and both arrived pretty much on time. Oddly enough, the flight down was an LGA-to-ATL flight that had Richmond as a stopover and only about 2/3 of the plane got off in Richmond.

I noticed AirTran no longer gives out free ear-buds and doesn't even offer them for sale. If you want to listen to XM on the flight, be sure to bring your own headphones.

I chatted with an AirTran employee who mentioned that JetBlue has been canceling a lot of their flights to JFK lately for no apparent reason -- I hope that's not a bad sign.

This happened to one of my coworkers last Friday. She was able to get on a later flight, but they didn't give her a reason fo rthe cancellation.