Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I'm with you, shak. If two smaller craft have been replaced with one larger plane it makes sense. Otherwise I'm still befuddled.

I recently went down the list of all flights and all destinations, comparing NOV07 vs. NOV08 schedules. At least a dozen notable changes. In summary, two less flights, but slightly larger aircraft deployed (on average) equals a modest gain in daily seats.

flack4ric

Flack, thanks for your explanation above. I realize what you said above is true and I had a feeling that is how it works, but just wanted to make sure. It's good that the airport has a vision - that, in and of itself, is great and I'm very excited for what I hope to be much, much more growth for the airport in the near future!

Also, thanks for your take of the Skybus issue. I had not realized that Triad was in such dier straits. They did land a FED EX hub there recently and while Triad lost hope for more people flooding their airport terminals, I think that the new FED EX hub is just as important to the local economy. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a major parcel carrier set up shop at RIC!

I'm sorry if you have already answered this question, but I'm going to ask again (in case I have forgotten to ask): Does the airport constantly solicit airlines and/or parcel companies, etc. to locate at RIC or do we just standby passively and wait for them to come to us and then ramp up incentives if there is interest? Just wondering how aggressive we are on growing the airport in that way. Thanks! Also, thanks for putting up with all of our questions and actually hanging around to answer them!! :thumbsup:

Does the airport constantly solicit airlines and/or parcel companies, etc. to locate at RIC or do we just standby passively and wait for them to come to us and then ramp up incentives if there is interest? Just wondering how aggressive we are on growing the airport in that way.

The best answer I can provide it to point out what would not be here if the airport did not actively recruit service, and work with the local business community to acquire and maintain it:

AirTran: Atlanta, Orlando

JetBlue: New York JFK, Boston, Ft. Lauderdale

AA: Chicago O'Hare, Miami

CO: Houston IAH

NW: Minneapolis and Memphis

AC: Toronto YYZ

In addition to the above efforts, AirTran has launched New York LGA and JetBlue (as of yesterday) Orlando. Some competitive services have evolved to counter new entrants (such as DL to JFK). There have been, for various reasons, some failures (Skybus as an airline, USA3000 to Cancun & Ft. Myers, AirTran to Philadelphia).

Once the industry moves back towards an expansion mode, there are several good opportunities from RIC, but in the present environment, keeping the service you have is a win.

Cargo is a whole different story. Consolidation with FedEx, UPS, and DHL. DHL is now changing its business model, and companies like Emery, BaxGlobal, and various spinoffs (like Menlo Logistics) have largely moved away from being air freighters except at some very targeted markets.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

For those who have been asking for more airport images, please go to: http://www.flyrichmond.com/Load.php?Content=Photo_Gallery

For those of you considering travel from RIC to LaGuardia in the next month, this is a very nice offer from AirTran: https://tickets.airtran.com/LoginPromo.aspx?promo_key=RICLGA

flack4ric

Flack, these look great! This is exactly what I was envisioning! Thanks for getting this online and showing off our awesome airport!

A terrific set of sleek photos showing off RIC. Congratulations to all involved for putting the display together and dissiminating it throughout the airline industry.

Next LC carrier? My guess: Southwest!

Edited by burt

A terrific set of sleek photos showing off RIC. Congratulations to all involved for putting the display together and dissiminating it throughout the airline industry.

Next LC carrier? My guess: Southwest!

Guys, thanks for taking a look. :shades:

Comments from this blog, in addition to feedback from other parts of the universe, helped the Photo Gallery come online much sooner than originally planned. The images will be updated periodically.

As far as future air service development, the tasks at hand are to support the airlines that have already made an investment in the region and to include in your travel plans the new-entrant LCCs that have absolutely transformed the fare environment and service levels at RIC. As a reminder:

Air Canada: Toronto (hub at Pearson YYZ)

AirTran: Atlanta (hub), New York LGA, and Orlando

American: DFW, Chicago O'Hare Miami (all hubs), St. Louis (focus city)

Continental: Newark EWR, Cleveland & Houston (all hubs)

Delta: Atlanta (hub), Cincinnati (hub/focus city), New York LGA & JFK

JetBlue: New York JFK (hub at new T5), Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando

Northwest: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul & Memphis (all hubs)

United: Chicago O'Hare and Dulles (hubs)

US Airways: Charlotte and Philadelphia (hubs), New York LGA, Boston

Hopefully, as this is from memory, I noted them all.

That being said, there are additional good opportunities at RIC, and the airport will seek grow its reach as the economic environment improves.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

flack -

Photo #2 states that the aircraft at B15 is a 777. I am positive that is incorrect. A 777 is a much larger aircraft than shown on the photo.

Shak, how about another angle of the same aircraft? This image was taken in March 2003 before the B concourse was officially open for business. The Delta 777 was used to transport an incentive group to Maui. Very nicely furnished, especially in the forward cabin.

flack4ric

gallery_21276_22_66392.jpg

flack -

Once again thanks for the clarification.

It is good to know that RIC can accommadate the 777. Can RIC accommadate two 777's parked at the gates, side by side? What is the distance between each gate at RIC?

Mico -

I notice the same thing as well when I googgled a photo of a 777. Also Super 80's have a similar tail cone. Earlier models of the Super 80's had the cylindrical cones. Those were replaced with the current.

For those who would like to see many 777's at one time, I suggest a trip to IAD between 4 and 7pm.

Edited by Shakman

flack -

Once again thanks for the clarification.

It is good to know that RIC can accommadate the 777. Can RIC accommadate two 777's parked at the gates, side by side? What is the distance between each gate at RIC?

Shak - If two 777s needed to be accommodated simultaneously at gates, I think RIC's only options currently would be B15 & B14 at the end of the B concourse. We would need to check geometry and clearances to be 100% on this. We have seen multiple widebodies on the ground during periods when IAD (and others) send diversions RIC's way, but the general need in such cases is a short-term parking position until flights can continue to destination.

Presently, the largest scheduled passenger aircraft at RIC is a 757, and the one carrier utilizing this aircraft does not overlap ground time.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

burt - If two needed to be accommodated simultaneously at gates, I think RIC's only options currently would be B15 & B14 at the end of the B concourse. We would need to check geometry and clearances to be 100% on this. We have seen multiple widebodies on the ground during periods when IAD (and others) send diversions RIC's way, but the general need in such cases is a short-term parking position until flights can continue to destination.

Presently, the largest scheduled passenger aircraft at RIC is a 757, and the one carrier utilizing this aircraft does not overlap ground time.

flack4ric

It was shak who asked the side-by-side question, flack. But I appreciate the explanation, also.

burt - If two needed to be accommodated simultaneously at gates, I think RIC's only options currently would be B15 & B14 at the end of the B concourse. We would need to check geometry and clearances to be 100% on this. We have seen multiple widebodies on the ground during periods when IAD (and others) send diversions RIC's way, but the general need in such cases is a short-term parking position until flights can continue to destination.

flack4ric

It was I who asked, but I greatly appreciate the explanation. When was the last time flights were diverted from IAD to RIC? I knew RIC has the runway capacity for heavies. However, I would question if RIC's runway capacity could handle a fully loaded A346 on rotation. While plane spotting at IAD, the A346's on rotation use nearly all 11,500 of runway space for 1R /19L (11,501 ft) and 1L /19R (11,500 ft). Both of those runways are the longest at IAD.

Hey guys! I just wanted to pop in here and say that I'm currently sitting at Tucson International Airport (TIA) and this airport reminds me a lot of RIC. The size of the airport, the layout is almost identical. They have a whole lot more shops and restuarants than RIC, however (I wish RIC had more of these despite having just gained some, it needs more. They have a juice bar right here in the middle of the seating area!). Also, their military operations are crazy - lots of them (mostly because of Davis-Monthan AFB is right next door - funny because all of the F-16s takeoff at TIA). I sure wish the VANG didn't leave. They have some great airlines here as well: Southwest, Frontier, Alaska Airlines and then the usual USAirways, United, Northwest, American, Delta, and Continental. They have free WiFi like RIC (which is how I'm writing this posting - an awesome plus)! I noticed on their website that they enplane and deplane about 4.4 million passengers a year (almost a million more than RIC), which is really good for a city of about 1 million people! TIA is definitely doing something right - something I think RIC needs to learn from. Granted, there are no other major airports around here except Pheonix (only an hour and a half drive away - similar to Richmond and DC airport distances), but somehow the airport is able to keep all air travelers right here in Tucson and not losing any (execpt maybe a few) to Pheonix. The Air Force Base is here, which can attribute to many of the travelers (something that Fort Lee is to Richmond), but I don't think Tucson has quite the HQ base that Richmond has. Still, TIA is able to sqeeze out 4.4 million passengers served a year. Does RIC do studies on other airports it size to see what they are doing to be successful? Just curious. TIA appears to be a very well-run and is a fairly busy airport for a city this size. What can Richmond do better to attract more local air passengers? I know it is happening, but perhaps RIC's image needs to improve? Perhaps RIC's message isn't getting out as it should...I don't know - just guessing. More marketing? More PR? Perhaps conduct a survey of what the people of Richmond are looking for in a local airport? What can we do? I would like RIC to get gates to be able to accommodate two 777s at once because we need the capacity! What can be done? Let's get excited about RIC!! :w00t:

TIA doesn't have a better website than RIC, that's for sure! Our website rocks!

Edited by eandslee

A party of four were booked out of RIC this morning for LGA. In a brief phone call, they said the AirTran flight was cancelled and they were rebooked on JetBlue to JFK.

They are due at my apartment at 6:30 for cocktails. I'll find out the details.

And Eric, I flew out of Tuscon on American about 12 years ago and remember it as a relatively small airport -- sort of like Richmond at that time. They also probably have updated their facility.

Edited by burt

My friends were told the cancellation of AirTran flight to LGA yesterday morning was due to delays and conditions at LaGuardia. They enjoyed the Jet Blue trip to JFK, but are assured of return on Sunday via AirTran. They were not sure whether all passengers on the LGA flight were accommodated on JB.

My friends were told the cancellation of AirTran flight to LGA yesterday morning was due to delays and conditions at LaGuardia. They enjoyed the Jet Blue trip to JFK, but are assured of return on Sunday via AirTran. They were not sure whether all passengers on the LGA flight were accommodated on JB.

Burt, I noticed this cancellation on the board yesterday. It caught my eye because AirTran so rarely cxls anything out of RIC - incredible completion percentages. I'm glad that JetBlue seats were available and that the trip ended well.

Gents - apologies for the ID mixup on the earlier response.

Shak, the theoretical questions are a lot of fun, but I'll have to chase the info down later. RIC is a long way from having to be concerned about simulataneous widebodies at gates or to regularly accommodate max weight A-340s. I'm an optimist, but grounded in reality. As far as IAD diversions, barely a fortnight can pass without diversions of some level from IAD. We see hundreds every year.

eandslee, regarding TUS, the airport has done a nice job with recent renovation. Flew in there a while back, before JetBlue ended TUS-JFK service. If your measure is citizens:flyers, most Western airports would have favorable ratios due to less density of development, greater average distance of travel (not fun in car), and fewer options (road, rail, competing airports). Border areas can also pick up travelers that don't show up on a US census, such at the three lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas airports (HRL, MFE, BRO) picking up traffic from Reynosa y Matamoros or BUF seeing a healthy Canadian influx. TUS also enjoy a nice seasonal tourism business. Did you get a chance to check out any of the golf courses? Longterm, TUS needs to attract and support better East Coast service.

RIC does utilize benchmarking analysis, whether we conduct it internally or find nuggets in others' works.

flack4ric

However, I would question if RIC's runway capacity could handle a fully loaded A346 on rotation.

Shak, checking A-340 characteristics, it depends on what you need the aircraft to do. RIC has handled similarly-weighted aircraft (the C-5A weighs about the same as the version of the 340 you mentioned and an An-124 is potentially a good bit heavier). If you need the aircraft to fly max range, RIC's longest runway (RWY 16/34 at 9003') would not support that during peak temperature periods of hot summer months. Being familiar with market characteristics, however, we do not anticipate this aircraft being scheduled into RIC anytime soon.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

Flack: Prices are rising and flight bookings at Reagan, Dulles and BWI are already up 200% between 1/16 and 1/19 for the Inaugural Ceremonies in 2009 over the same perior last year. Isn't RIC the next logical overflow airport?

Doe RIC have marketing plans to accommodate Inaugural attendees with offers of bus transportation to and from DC during this potentially fruitful time?

Scroll to TRAVEL in this story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-11-0023.html

Edited by burt

Flack: Prices are rising and flight bookings at Reagan, Dulles and BWI are already up 200% between 1/16 and 1/19 for the Inaugural Ceremonies in 2009 over the same perior last year. Isn't RIC the next logical overflow airport?

Doe RIC have marketing plans to accommodate Inaugural attendees with offers of bus transportation to and from DC during this potentially fruitful time?

Scroll to TRAVEL in this story from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-11-0023.html

Burt - thank you for the link. I will pass along to several folks (air carriers and ground transport providers) who may be able to package this.

flack4ric

Continuing the discussion of increased demand around Inauguration Day, we're starting to feel it here in Richmond. One of our staff members sent me the following:

At the hotel I work at we are getting a ton of calls for rooms Inauguration Week (so much so that they have bumped the nightly rate to $295 from $66). I think many of these folks are coming by bus from cities on the East Coast. I would suspect however that we may see some bump in passengers around those dates in January. As I understand it most hotels in DC are already sold out, and people are renting their houses on Craig's List for upwards of $10,000 for the week.

Groome Transportation, a large ground operator in Richmond, confirms bookings as well.

flack4ric

Continuing the discussion of increased demand around Inauguration Day, we're starting to feel it here in Richmond. One of our staff members sent me the following:

Groome Transportation, a large ground operator in Richmond, confirms bookings as well.

flack4ric

Let's hope RIC gets a big bounce out of Inauguration travel.

Meanwhile, on another subject, AirTran will beging charging for luggage.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-12-0181.html

Edited by burt