Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Flack, this is a long article but it references that chain hotels as far from DC as Baltimore and Richmond are quickly selling out.

All this excitement is bound to attract full flights to and from RIC, don't you agree?

Burt, we'd certainly welcome such an outcome. Smart hospitality operators will require deposits and 2-3 night minimum stays. If rooms start to open up in DC, there would be a huge sucking sound if nothing locks a reservation in....

flack4ric

Security scanning can get up close and personal with the new system inaugurated at RIC. But singled-out passengers may option for old-time frisking instead.

Check out this story with video From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...11-15-0074.html

Previous pilot at PHX showed a 90% preference for whole body scanning vs. wanding/patdowns. RIC is the 2nd-smallest airport (in terms of passenger activity, only TUL is smaller) getting this type of technology. Most of the airports involved with the WBI roll-out are Cat X airports.

TSA has a fair amount of information on its site at http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/body_imaging.shtm for those wishing to read more.

flack4ric

I'm currently in Columbus for the night but I was in LGA (Laguardia) earlier today and heard from an AirTran crew that AirTran will be dropping RIC from LGA come January 09.

Any info on this Flack?

Ewwwww. Not good if this is true. What are our ridership numbers for this route?

I'm currently in Columbus for the night but I was in LGA (Laguardia) earlier today and heard from an AirTran crew that AirTran will be dropping RIC from LGA come January 09.

Any info on this Flack?

The airport has become aware that AirTran's RIC-LGA service, presently operating twice-daily, will cease in early January. The existence of the service was related to slots that the airline was leasing from ATA pending final allocation. As the slot allocation picture has clarified, it has become apparent that AirTran will soon lose the slots which were necessary to offer RIC-LGA service.

flack4ric

RIC reported October traffic this AM at monthly Commission meeting, including:

• Total passenger traffic down 6.5% (305,013 in '08 vs. 326,039 in '07)
  • CYTD traffic off 3.3%
  • Total cargo down 17.7%
  • Operations decreased 9.4% (air carrier and military ops both up 10%+ for month)

Looking forward towards November, expect a larger decrease in passenger traffic. RIC tracked a "stay-at-home" effect for the days immediately surrounding the 2008 presidential election and Thanksgiving traffic will partially spill into December due to the late date of the holiday this year.

Also, reviewing the January 2009 schedule, seat capacity will be off 0.7% vs. 2008, which feels like a win compared to what many airports will see.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

Ground broken on airport connector... should be finished by March 2011.

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=9444393

...also one of the new flyovers between Airport Drive, the Parking Garages and the Terminal has opened. This is the flyover which will take traffic from Airport Drive towards the Terminal and Parking Garage entrances.

In addition, a new loop-around has also been opened to traffic. Before, one had to make u-turn on Airport Drive to return to the Terminal. This loop-around travels underneath the recently opened flyover.

Edited by Shakman

...also one of the new flyovers between Airport Drive, the Parking Garages and the Terminal has opened. This is the flyover which will take traffic from Airport Drive towards the Terminal and Parking Garage entrances.

In addition, a new loop-around has also been opened to traffic. Before, one had to make u-turn on Airport Drive to return to the Terminal. This loop-around travels underneath the recently opened flyover.

I drove over the new flyover last Sunday enroute to garage parking. Picked up a friend arriving from Jax via CLT around 3:30pm. All the roadway construction work is quite impressive. Terminal was comfortably crowded.

Will there be a separate toll on the airport connector from 895 in addition to the Pocahontas Pkway toll?

I drove over the new flyover last Sunday enroute to garage parking. Picked up a friend arriving from Jax via CLT around 3:30pm. All the roadway construction work is quite impressive. Terminal was comfortably crowded.

Will there be a separate toll on the airport connector from 895 in addition to the Pocahontas Pkway toll?

The last I know... Yes...

Sometimes I wonder if I am NYC or Richmond due to all the tolls. At least Richmond tolls are cheaper than the ones in NYC.

As noted, both Airport Drive flyovers are open. Still milling portions of Airport Drive, soon to repave, and some striping work needs to be completed if temperatures cooperate. Landscaping work also underway along Airport Drive (from Charles City Rd to Williamsburg Rd).

Under some conditions, the new Pocahontas 895 Airport Connector will have a separate toll. Per Transurban:

Tolling and the new Airport Connector

• Only drivers traveling to and from the Airport Connector from I-295 will pay a separate toll. Customers who pass through the main toll plaza on Pocahontas 895 will not pay again to use the new shortcut.
  • The toll on the Airport Connector will be $1.25 when the road opens in 2011 in line with the toll price caps negotiated between Transurban and VDOT and publicly available on the Web at www.Pocahontas895.com.

flack4ric

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer...

I was looking forward to the I-64 repavement and the bridge replacements along I-95. Both areas do a number to my little car... Very bumpy.

At least the RIC connector is moving forward. It is to my understanding that there are also private funds involved as well. If so, could possibly be a good reason why it has not been put on hold.

Can anyone confirm that private funds exist for the connector?

Edited by Shakman

Bummer...

I was looking forward to the I-64 repavement and the bridge replacements along I-95. Both areas do a number to my little car... Very bumpy.

I don't think those two projects have been cancelled, Shak. They are not mentioned in this story, and I remember reading a few days ago that those two particular improvements are definitely a "go;"

On the subject of traffic volume at RIC, the lower November figures may reflect that some of the Thanksgiving travel days fell in December. Maybe this month's figures will be up.

Where's flack?

Edited by burt