Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I have been watching the LGA discussion. One thing you can bank on is that capacity will be "right-sized" to meet demand, and the last two air carrier moves have addressed this issue for New York traffic in it's current state.

Also, if you Twitter, you can reach me via the same "flack4ric" user name.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding today's Metro Business article, would encourage you to pick up the print version if able, much more content.

flack4ric

I scanned through the article this morning to see if they mentioned your twitter activity, flack4ric, but I didn't see anything about it. Shame on them!

I didn't have the time to read through it thoroughly, but I'll sit down with it tonight.

I live in NYCity flack, so can only access the online version of R-TD. Are there any pix besides the one from the control tower?

Yes. Please send your contact info to: [email protected]. I have a spare copy that I'll mail up to you, Burt.

flack4ric

I scanned through the article this morning to see if they mentioned your twitter activity, flack4ric, but I didn't see anything about it. Shame on them!

No mention of 'Flack4RIC' twitter activity in the story, but we will be including it in our next OnTime e-newsletter, to which you are subscribed.

flack4ric

Thanks, flack. I really appreciate the offer but a friend in Richmond has a hard copy of the RTD story she is holding for me.

Meanwhile....

US Airways is backtracking on at least one annoying extra charge. Soda and water are once again offered to passengers free of charge on the carrier.

From today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-210416/214795/

Edited by burt

Would any of these improvements be a pre-curser to what has been recently proposed on the master plan?

Most, if not all, of the airside improvement projects noted dovetail with near-term elements of proposed Master Plan update. The airfield signage improvements may be driven by recent Federal mandates.

flack4ric

In case you all missed it, Southwest will begin flying out of Boston (BOS) in the fall.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...oming_to_logan/

Flack - Still in contact with Southwest on possible service to RIC?

Question for All : If Southwest were to come to RIC, do you think RIC can sustain 3 LCC's given the fact that RIC has one of the lowest passenger loads of the cities AirTran and JetBlue serve?

In case you all missed it, Southwest will begin flying out of Boston (BOS) in the fall.

Question for All : If Southwest were to come to RIC, do you think RIC can sustain 3 LCC's given the fact that RIC has one of the lowest passenger loads of the cities AirTran and JetBlue serve?

Speaking of which, a Southwest 737 aircraft landed at RIC a few days ago to bring home units of the Army National Guard.

NBC12 article with photo:

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=99...p;nav=menu128_2

RIC talks to airlines that make sense for Richmond travel patterns, including both incumbent airlines and possible future entrants.

flack4ric

MicoMiles, with your pilot connections and flack, by your non-committal but veiled reference to Southwest, do we dare take heart? :shades:

Didn't we have 3 LCC's when Skybus operated in and out of RIC? And didn't Skybus carry respectable loads?

PS: On March 4th (one day only) Jet Blue offered $29 tickets to Richmond and a number of other airports.

Flack, I'm expecting to fly in on April 10 aboard Jet Blue flight 1075 due to arrive at 5:38pm. I'm being picked up and driven to Irvington by relatives who want to arrange restaurant reservations around 8PM. What is the on-time record for this flight?

Edited by burt

Flack, I'm expecting to fly in on April 10 aboard Jet Blue flight 1075 due to arrive at 5:38pm. I'm being picked up and driven to Irvington by relatives who want to arrange restaurant reservations around 8PM. What is the on-time record for this flight?

Burt, according to flightstats.com, for January and February, this flight had 68% on-time arrivals. When it was delayed, the average delay time was 37 minutes.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

Burt, according to flightstats.com, for January and February, this flight had 68% on-time arrivals. When it was delayed, the average delay time was 37 minutes.

flack4ric

Thanks, flack. Even if it's an hour late we should be able to have dinner in Irvington by 8PM.

A market Richmond's size won't be able to sustain 3 LCCs, especially in this environment. I think Southwest will only expand to cities like Boston, who are no more than a focus city for any given airline but are major desitinations for both leisure and business travelers.

A market Richmond's size won't be able to sustain 3 LCCs, especially in this environment. I think Southwest will only expand to cities like Boston, who are no more than a focus city for any given airline but are major desitinations for both leisure and business travelers.

I view size as a minor factor. If the demand is there, airlines will flock to that demand.

Slightly different topic, but look at SLC. The city and metro are less in population than Richmond, yet SLC is a major hub for Delta. As matter of fact, SLC is the smallest city in the Nation to have a hub airport.

Do you see where I am coming from? (If no, then say so.)

Southwest will also commence service out of MSP.

Edited by Shakman

I view size as a minor factor. If the demand is there, airlines will flock to that demand.

Slightly different topic, but look at SLC. The city and metro are less in population than Richmond, yet SLC is a major hub for Delta. As matter of fact, SLC is the smallest city in the Nation to have a hub airport.

Do you see where I am coming from? (If no, then say so.)

Southwest will also commence service out of MSP.

I don't disagree that demand will carry what airlines will be at what airports and what routes they fly. I just don't think 3 LCCs would survive at RIC. Unless someone starts flying further west than Dallas, an airline won't last flying the same routes as another in RIC. One will be priced out of the market by another. Southwest would have to fly to a place like Vegas from RIC, in addition to other routes. Probably not happening in this economy any time soon. The main reason Minneapolis is getting SW is b/c of the Delta/NW merger that's probably opening up gate space. Minneapolis also has an MSA of over 3 million people. I feel bad for Cincinnati though b/c of this merger they will become what Pittsburgh became with US Air with all the capacity cuts.

As far as SLC goes, yea they are a small market hub city, but they are also Delta's only hub out west. If you have the infrastructure in place to be a hub, that's probably more important than population. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Salt Lake City is a great tourist destination either.

• 3 weeks later...

12% fewer passengers used RIC in February '09 compared to corresponding figures for 2008, but last year had an extra day in its February calendar.

Samuel Adams Brewhouse is establishing a beachead along the far reaches of Concourse B and a few news kiosks will spread out in the +800-foot-long gateway.

Jet Blue was the only carrier that noted an increase in passenger volume during February '09 -- up 13.2%.

From yesterday's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business/...-215227/245634/

Edited by burt

As far as SLC goes, yea they are a small market hub city, but they are also Delta's only hub out west. If you have the infrastructure in place to be a hub, that's probably more important than population. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Salt Lake City is a great tourist destination either.

I disagree about the 3 LCCs "Not in Richmond" statement, but agree that the only way it happens and works is if they have unique offerings. Also, Vegas yields (at least historically) would suggest that no one leads with that route, unless there is a compelling reason to expect flow traffic over that point (such as ORF (ahoy!)-LAS-SAN (ahoy!)).

Don't make me pull out my MSA/DMA materials, but I don't really need to for SLC. Service areas for western airports tend to be geographically much larger that along the east coast. Out west, large cities are more widely distributed and travelers will drive great distances to fly even greater distances. And yes, SLC is quite nice.

flack4ric

Edited by flack4ric

12% fewer passengers used RIC in February '09 compared to corresponding figures for 2008, but last year had an extra day in its February calendar.

Jet Blue was the only carrier that noted an increase in passenger volume during February '09 -- up 13.2%.

At least one data source reports that world airports showed a 12.2% decline in February. The lost day (Leap Year08 versus non-Leap Year09) yields a ~3.5% adjustment. Demand remains an issue, therefore travelers are being incentivized with very attractive fares to a wide array of destinations.

flack4ric

At least one data source reports that world airports showed a 12.2% decline in February. The lost day (Leap Year08 versus non-Leap Year09) yields a ~3.5% adjustment. Demand remains an issue, therefore travelers are being incentivized with very attractive fares to a wide array of destinations.

flack4ric

Fares have indeed come down. I am trying to take a trip to SLC and have found air fares from IAD starting $220 roundtrip. Yes I said ROUNDTRIP!!!

It seems to have been a while since I have seen air fares at those levels.

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...