Richmond International Airport

eandslee

It looks like LaGuardia is going to become a domestic hub for Delta. I really have no idea on the timing, maybe Flack4Ric can answer, but I suppose there's a potential for no non-stop service to LGA from RIC until their service is set up. RIC isn't the only one affected. All express service from LaGuardia on USAirways will be discontinued. They will focus on just keeping mainline service there and expanding at Washington's Reagan airport. LaGuardia is unique to most airports in that they have separate, dedicated terminals for each airline. The reason for the swap between Delta and US Airways is that US was after Delta's International slots (which are of course more profitable). USA is starting non-stop service to Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil from CLT and they are applying for non-stop service to Tokyo through their PHX hub. Delta is dropping some of their International destinations, while US Airways (who has far less of an International presence by comparison) is trying to ramp theirs up.

Regarding the proposed DL-US slot swap, we're watching for developments. The transaction is subject of federal approvals (DOJ, USDOT, FAA), but I don't see any insurmountable hurdles. The remarkable thing here is how forthcoming US Airways has been about its plans. Delta, keeping their cards close to their vest until ready to roll out service plan, is taking a more traditional support.

RIC w/out LGA service? Don't bet on it - at least not for long.

Flack4RIC

Looking for advice on watching for great deals on weekend getaway trips via RIC. I've been in Richmond for less than a year and I'm new to the East coast. I'm wondering what airlines / destinations I should pay attention to for great deals. I'm more likely to hop on a plane to see a city because the tickets are cheap than selecting the city first.

That said, I'd love to get a great deals on tickets to Pittsburgh.

When I lived in Little Rock, Southwest would run deals on tickets (oneway) to Dallas ($49 to $99) and St. Louis ($79).

turboturtle, in the current environment, lots of deals to be found. You can subscribe to various air carriers for e-mail feeds of sales and weekend specials (in Richmond, it seems AirTran, American, Continental, Delta, JetBlue, United & US Airways all send attractive offers frequently). Another option is to use a consolidator like airfarewatchdog.com. Sign up for weekly e-mail blasts with Richmond (RIC) as your home airport, and you will receive one or two e-mails/week with specials from all of our carriers listed.

In terms of destinations, lots of competition to New York (JFK, LGA & EWR), Atlanta, Boston & Orlando. As a consumer, you'll benefit with good fare options.

PIT won't happen too often, but airfarewatchdog.com will pick it up when it does.

Happy traveling!

Flack4RIC (check us out on Twitter: @Flack4RIC)

I read or heard on TV that Jet Blue offers unlimited flights to all of its destinations for one month at a price of about $500.

JetBlue's "All-You-Can-Jet" pass offer (unltd travel 8SEP-8OCT) was so successful, it ended last week, a couple of days before the original deadline. Air Canada has offered something similar in the past, and still offers a product like this for travel to Europe. Look for more opportunities like this from JetBlue, Air Canada and others for shoulder-season travel.

Flack4RIC

July tops 300,000 at RIC:

From today's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business...-215207/288298/

Burt, thanks for posting the link. On Tuesday (8/25), RIC issued a press release about July passenger traffic and favorable findings from a USDOT study. You can read it here: http://www.flyrichmond.com/Load.php?Content=News_107

Flack4RIC

Here's the Richmond Biz Sense take on low-cost flights in and out of RIC.

Note at the bottom of the story, editor Aarron Kremer booked a flight to SFO for $230.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/08/25...traffic-at-ric/

RIC-SFO RT fully loaded for $230 is tough to beat. I'm guessing he bought "at the right time."

Flack4RIC

Aaron didn't say it was a round-trip ticket. But $230 one-way RIC/SFO sounds pretty good to me compared to prices a few years ago.

Burt, couldn't agree more. Much progress had been made making competitive fares available from Richmond. Aaron Kremer confirmed to me today via e-mail that this was, in fact, his roundtrip RIC-SFO fare.

Flack4RIC

This story from today's RT-D discusses the Pocahontas Parkway and its 1.6 mile extension to RIC. Even though times are tight economically, the Australians holding the bonds seem optimistic.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-215202/289622/

Thanks flack for confirming with Aaron Kremer that his $230 fare RIC/SFO is actually round trip. That is truly amazing if he indeed is beginning and ending his trip in Richmond. Could he be driving to IAD for this cheap fare on Jet Blue or another carrier?

• 2 weeks later...

jb, you must have flown Jet Blue with TV's positioned on the seat in front of you.

I'm sure you were not offered so much as a snack on the transcontinental portion of the flight.

Have you had problems with snacks on JetBlue? So far, I have found their service to be better than USAir, Delta, Northwest, and United (AirTran was comparable), though I have not flown since May. It looks like I will get to try American next month.

Have you had problems with snacks on JetBlue? So far, I have found their service to be better than USAir, Delta, Northwest, and United (AirTran was comparable), though I have not flown since May. It looks like I will get to try American next month.

No, Ice. I thought all airlines had cut back on amenities. But then I fly so rarely. My last trip JFK/RIC/JFK a week ago was excellent, and we were served free snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. I was mistaken and apologize to Jet Blue. :wub:

Also, kudos to RIC security for nabbing an alleged mass murderer asleep on a seat near baggage carousels last week.

Edited by burt

jb, you must have flown Jet Blue with TV's positioned on the seat in front of you.

I'm sure you were not offered so much as a snack on the transcontinental portion of the flight.

Yes indeed, it was Jet Blue. To the contrary, they came around a few times with more generously sized snacks that I expected I seem to recall.

Yes indeed, it was Jet Blue. To the contrary, they came around a few times with more generously sized snacks that I expected I seem to recall.

JetBlue is pretty generous with snacks for its "jetters," offering Terra Blue Chips, Stella Doras, Animal Crackers, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Cashews & a Munchie Mix. Hand-delivered in baskets (no unwieldly bev carts) and you can ask for more.

Flack4RIC

Also, kudos to RIC security for nabbing an alleged mass murderer asleep on a seat near baggage carousels last week.

burt, thank you. The RIC PD officers were on alert, and benefitted from good information pushed out by the Farmville, VA PD. The story is tragic, but thankful for the quick apprehension of the quadruple homicide suspect.

Flack4RIC

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Bacque has a story in today's R-TD with a header reading "RIC's On-time Arrivals Rank Among Worst in the Nation."

According to a National study, says Bacque, RIC ranked 13th worst for on-time arivals among the one hundred largest metropolitan-area airports.

Couldn't that also be interpreted in a more positive way, i.e., that 87 of those airports, including those in Hampton Roads and Washington, are worse off than RIC when it comes to arrival delays? :unsure:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/business...-220806/298072/

• 2 weeks later...

Southwest New City : Panama City, Florida

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Southwest-Ai...ml?x=0&.v=1

There is a good military base (AF/Navy) population around Panama City..... Servicing cities have yet to be announced.

RIC will have to remain on the waiting list.......again! Honestly, I believe SWA service at ORF, RDU and IAD greatly reduces the chances RIC will land Southwest.

Southwest New City : Panama City, Florida

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Southwest-Ai...ml?x=0&.v=1

There is a good military base (AF/Navy) population around Panama City..... Servicing cities have yet to be announced.

RIC will have to remain on the waiting list.......again! Honestly, I believe SWA service at ORF, RDU and IAD greatly reduces the chances RIC will land Southwest.

Might not the doubling of military population at Fort Lee south of Richmond require more air service at RIC? The army plans to build a one-thousand room hotel on base to accommodate temporary personnel and one of the largest army museums in the nation is under construction at Ft. Lee.

I bet a quarter Troy Bell and others at RIC are salivating over possibilities. :)

Why has there been a giant "X" flashing at the beginning (or end) of the runway closest to US 60? Or is that always there?

RWY 2/20 reconstruction has been underway, should be wrapped up next month. Lots of focus on airside maintenance/improvement this year. More to come.

Flack4RIC

Might not the doubling of military population at Fort Lee south of Richmond require more air service at RIC? The army plans to build a one-thousand room hotel on base to accommodate temporary personnel and one of the largest army museums in the nation is under construction at Ft. Lee.

I bet a quarter Troy Bell and others at RIC are salivating over possibilities. smile.gif

Ft. Lee growth is a definite plus, as is the recent Rolls-Royce groundbreaking in nearby Prince George County.

Flack4RIC